PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

foxytina_69
May 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM
old dutch chips dont have lactic acid, in canada.

Mystic
May 27th, 2005, 09:52 AM
banana could you tell me the recipe for date and coconut rolls? (or is it top secret??) :)

I buy them :)

Here is a link, but I am not sure where you could buy them in the UK...
date and coconut rolls (http://www.tierrafarm.com/web/dried_cocrolls.html)
date and almond rolls (http://www.tierrafarm.com/web/dried_almrolls.html)

Tigerlily
May 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM
old dutch chips dont have lactic acid, in canada.

Thanks but we don't have them around here.

xwitchymagicx
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I can't eat citrus fruits, chocolate, caffiene, cheese, dairy, gluten, strawberry's...quite a few things...

because of intolerances, they make me pretty sick but not a full blown allergy.

Apple_Blossem
Jul 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, I get hives when I eat bacon.

sugarmouse
Jul 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM
recently I have been so sure im intolerant to SOMETHNG but I dont know what! i cook alot,so its not any one thing its happened a few times.I made avacado n carrot soup the other day, and it was very rich..that made me ill., and burgers made with soya mince n had symptoms afterwards,like very mild food poisoning -like symptoms.I was thinking, as I have been tryin to lose weight recently and eating less, when I do eat a normal sized portion maybe thats whats upsetting me?or maybe I am intolerant to something and jst dont know? iused to be allergic to oranges an some other citrus fruits wen I was a child,but that seems to have gone now.

~Lenore
Jul 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I don't have any proper food allergies, thankfully, but I do have reactions/irritations to a few things, mainly fruits.

Kiwis - they make my mouth, lips & throat burn and ITCH like mad for ages!
The riper the kiwi, the worse it is, so I've stopped eating kiwis, which I love. :(

Also I think I've determined a reaction to sulfites, because I got this weird wheezy cough and tight throat feeling after eating some dried peaches, and then again after eating sundried tomatoes. I know for sure I'm not allergic to tomatoes, so it must have been the sulfites they preserve them with, since that was the only other ingredient. Bah.

Haniska
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Is it a particular type of nut that causes you problems, or all nuts?

I wanted to warn you, nut allergies are developing allergies... they get worse with every exposure. The symptoms you describe sound like an allergy to me (see the list of symptoms below). This is highly dangerous!!

Please stop eating nuts, but not only that, remove all nut products (and products saying they've been manufactured where nuts have been) from your home! Even touching nuts can be bad for you if you have a nut allergy. Also, please invest in an EpiPen -- a prepared shot of adrenaline/epinephrine that you can inject if you ever feel you're going through anaphylactic shock, which is where your airway swells shut and prevents breathing. The adrenaline can stop the reaction, and can save your life in the case of an emergency! You can probably get these at a drugstore, but I'd also recommend visiting a doctor and letting him/her know about this allergy so you can get some prescribed.

Here are the symptoms of a nut allergy:
Nut allergy can produce:
-A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
-An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
-Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
-Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
-Asthma symptoms
-Vomiting
-Cramping tummy pains
-Diarrhea
-Faintness and unconsciousness
-Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarelyextreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Remember, just because the reaction wasn't too bad this time doesn't mean that next time it won't be an emergency, so please be careful!! I don't mean to scare you, and I know this information is frightening, but I am worried for your safety!

Here's a webpage on nut allergies: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm

I keep finding new nuts that I am allergic to, should I stop doing all nuts or is it only these particular nuts? For example, I have no problem with almonds and pine nuts, will this change? Pooh to me being largic to walnuts :(

Tigerlily
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I think I'm gluten intolerant.

I had oatmeal and crackers today. My stomach is sore.

cafejane
Sep 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
wheat and gluten

Tigerlily
Sep 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Today I ate a lot of citrus. Ow my sinuses.

fiamma
Sep 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I get a really weird reaction in my mouth when I eat kiwifruit. A kind of tingling, I can't really describe it, but it's really annoying. Such a shame because I love the taste, and they're so high in Vit C. Doesn't happen with any other fruit.

Muppet
Sep 20th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I get a really weird reaction in my mouth when I eat kiwifruit. A kind of tingling...

I get this when I eat some oranges??? My mouth goes a bit numb.

I also get a really sharp stinging pain in my neck, below my ears where my lymph glands are, whenever i eat anything fatty... like vegan cheese or margarine?

Its so bad I have to hold my neck with my hands. :eek:

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? My GP just shrugged her shoulders! :confused:

fiamma
Sep 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Why don't you go for allergy testing, Muppet? Since mine's limited to kiwifruit I've never bothered but yours sounds more serious. I'd get it checked out if I were you. Your GP doesn't sound very sympathetic, I'm sorry to hear that.

SonicJMC
Sep 26th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Oddly enough, baby carrots.
BUT, if you COOK them, I can eat them. Go fig, eh.

Haniska
Sep 26th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Carrots make me constipated unless I cook or juice them.

I ate a bunch of pine nuts today, my "safe" nut and my ears itch and my throat is closing a bit :(

I was thinking about going raw lately because of my many many allergies and sensitivities but I would theoretically have to do away with raw nuts. I was just reading about a rotation diet, anyone have experiences with this? Has anyone "healed their leaky gut" and cured their allergies?
Thanks

PygmyGoat
Sep 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow because I am fed up with having stomach cramps and a generally upset stomach :( .

I've been researching it online (quite possibly more than he'll do, but I just want to run it by him because it does make me feel quite ill at times) - and I think I may be reacting to high fibre foods :eek: . Every time I try to eat a bit more healthily I get ill. Cereals have me running to the bathroom :o .

purple.cow
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure if i'm actually "allergic" to these things, I used to only get migraines, but now it is effecting my throat (tightening) and my breathing and I get a migraine and joint pains and stomach pains. Blah. lol :rolleyes:

I can't have gluten, wheat, oranges, lemons, limes, kiwis, strawberries, dark foods (blackberries, blackcurrents, beetroot, black grapes etc), chocolate (can have white though), tomatos (don't seem to effect me unless whole), pumpkin seeds, E Numbers, spicy food...onions unless cooked...

Quite a bit I can't eat. lol

I also can't have anything dairy which isn't a problem anymore. Also eggs.

Ps. Since my last post on here my allergies have got much much worse, and I'm allergic to more things.

Tigerlily
Oct 24th, 2006, 01:58 AM
My citrus allergies are getting worse. Before, I could tolerate lemon juice in salad dressings...now even foods that contain citric acid affect me.

My lemon flavoured lip balm also bothers me too. :(

purple.cow
Oct 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I think sometimes, when you cut out certain foods, as soon as you eat it again, you get worse illnesses, as your body isn't used to fighting whatever is in the think that makes people allergic.

Tigerlily
Oct 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I think that's very true.

I'm afraid if I got totally gluten-free my body will no longer be able to tolerate certain foods anymore.

I can still have a slice of regular bread or a bowl of oatmeal once in a while without damage. It's just when I eat several servings every day. I've been gluten-free as much as possible for a week now. Maybe tomorrow I'll add some oats (but no other gluten) and see if causes any negative affects?

purple.cow
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah...because I stopped eating gluten 100% and now I can't even have anything with it in where as before I could eat some bread or something.

Tigerlily
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Today I'm having regular bread! I'll see how it affects me.

alisont
Nov 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I had blood tests done and found im very intollerant to egg white and cashews, and intollerant to dairy and bananas. This was part of the final push to going vegan 17 months ago.

Im ok with the odd banana, just not every day, but i had a nutroast last night with 14% nuts in - cashews being part of that so really small amount, didnt think it would affect me but went really tired/achey and my throat felt itchy and tight.

I spoke to a nutritionist after my results and told her id gone vegan - she said fine but you still need to re introduce very small amounts of egg otherwise if you accidently have some you could be ill:confused: i did say to her i will never eat dairy/egg again and she did say the intollerance would possibly go to an allergy.

Interesting i touched egg whilst helping students cook the other week (part of my job but not a part im happy with) i got a nice rash from that, so now il be wearing gloves!

Alison

Tigerlily
Nov 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM
What sort of symptoms do you get with bananas?

I've been a bad girl with my citrus allergy. In August, I bought these new kind of soy yogurt. It's delicious but does contain lemon juice. So it gives me a slight headache. I stopped buying it because of that. Yesterday I was at the store and I saw it. I couldn't remember the reason why I stopped buying it, so I bought myself a pack of 6 small containers. I had one last night and got a headache. I had one for breakfast and got an even bigger headache. I couldn't figure out why. And then I remembered...the soy yogurt. :o I feel like a dummy. They expire on the 22nd so I do have to eat them up soon. Oh well...headaches aren't the end of the world, I guess.