PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Mystic
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:24 AM
When I eat nuts I get stabbing pains in my gut, I get a tightness in my throat and sometimes a skin rash.

At the moment I am getting symptoms such as what I have described, as well as nausea and extreme fatigue. I don't know what it is at this point.

snivelingchild
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:53 AM
Lactose intolerant, though that's not an issue now. :) I also think the same for wheat.

Gorilla
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:27 PM
i think i was intolerant to cows' milk because i had a myserious rash which went away after i cut it out of my diet. it was never diagnosed by a doctor or anything but it seems like more than coincidence to me.

MzNatural
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I am lactose intolerant and am allergic to wheat. I did not know about the wheat allergy until a few months ago when I eliminated it out of my diet.

foxytina_69
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
im allergic to dairy, eggs, and i get deathly sick when i eat wheat (celiac).

julieruble
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Is it a particular type of nut that causes you problems, or all nuts?

I wanted to warn you, nut allergies are developing allergies... they get worse with every exposure. The symptoms you describe sound like an allergy to me (see the list of symptoms below). This is highly dangerous!!

Please stop eating nuts, but not only that, remove all nut products (and products saying they've been manufactured where nuts have been) from your home! Even touching nuts can be bad for you if you have a nut allergy. Also, please invest in an EpiPen -- a prepared shot of adrenaline/epinephrine that you can inject if you ever feel you're going through anaphylactic shock, which is where your airway swells shut and prevents breathing. The adrenaline can stop the reaction, and can save your life in the case of an emergency! You can probably get these at a drugstore, but I'd also recommend visiting a doctor and letting him/her know about this allergy so you can get some prescribed.

Here are the symptoms of a nut allergy:
Nut allergy can produce:
-A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
-An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
-Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
-Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
-Asthma symptoms
-Vomiting
-Cramping tummy pains
-Diarrhea
-Faintness and unconsciousness
-Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarelyextreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Remember, just because the reaction wasn't too bad this time doesn't mean that next time it won't be an emergency, so please be careful!! I don't mean to scare you, and I know this information is frightening, but I am worried for your safety!

Here's a webpage on nut allergies: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm

cedarblue
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM
When I eat nuts I get stabbing pains in my gut, I get a tightness in my throat and sometimes a skin rash.

At the moment I am getting symptoms such as what I have described, as well as nausea and extreme fatigue. I don't know what it is at this point.

its easy to get tested for nut allergies, a blood test is all thats needed.
my daughter has a nut allergy and showed the symptoms julieruble stated before going into anaphalactic shock.
ask your doctor to refer you and set your mind at rest.

Mystic
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Thanx guys - I had a blood test today, so I will find out tomorrow. I also cleared out my Inbox :)

Mystic
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:33 AM
No allergies appeared on my blood test - but I am going to avoid nuts anyway. I know how they make me feel and I know my own body. What do you all think?

cedarblue
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM
if nothing appeared then you probabaly arent allergic to nuts, as a blood test would definately show that up - however if nuts make you feel bad, just leave them out! you may well just have an intolerance not an allergy.

Miel Miette
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
I have a severe allergy to dairy (not lactose intolerant, allergy to milk protein) and allergies to certain food colourings, mainly "sunset yellow" and tatrazine.

snaffler
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM
If I eat any product with MSG in it my Tounge taste buds bcome sore and lumpy and my tounge feels very numb.....and all food becomes tasteless untill it gos down about 12 hours later usualy....MSG is the spawn of satan anyway so I am glad my body hates it.

PinkLogik
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:09 PM
I have a severe allergy to dairy (not lactose intolerant, allergy to milk protein)

Me too Meil Miette, but not a serious one though; more of an intolerance than an allergy.... I began experimenting about 2 and a half years ago, with not eating dairy for a few days then starting eating it again... Just to see. It did give me stomach cramps, bad digestion etc... It also seemed worse when I hadn't eaten it for two weeks then started to eat it again. I was planning to go vegan anyway, so it's no great loss! ;) :D

Thought I'd miss cheese, but I don't.

PinkLogik
Feb 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
If I eat any product with MSG in it my Tounge taste buds bcome sore and lumpy and my tounge feels very numb.....and all food becomes tasteless untill it gos down about 12 hours later usualy....MSG is the spawn of satan anyway so I am glad my body hates it.

OMG! That sounds nasty Snaffler! But yes, MSG is bad... I can't say I consume it on a daily basis at all. It seems to be a regular ingredient in convenience foods, like crisps for example...I don't eat crisps very much, if I do it's 'cos I'm desperate and there's nothing else to eat.

Miel Miette
Feb 1st, 2005, 04:34 PM
I couldn't eat dairy from when I was a very small baby. I pretty much grew up without it.

LyricSarah
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM
what are some symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat sensitivity??

Kiva Dancer
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM
I have intolerances that border on allergy but they're too many to list here. :)

Mystic
Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:01 AM
what are some symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat sensitivity??

I think it is similar to any allergy - bloating, gut pain, gas, rashes etc

DeathOfDecadence
Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
im allergic to pineapple :( if i eat it my whole mouth swells up. i mean BIG swelling. i remember once my throat started to close and i have to be on an iv at the hospital....why must i be allergic to something sooooooo yummy! also i am lactose intolerant but doesnt matter anymore

Leigh
Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
I don't have any allergies, but I have noticed recently that eating grapes seems to make me feel bad afterwards.... Maybe I just eat too many in one sitting!

Mystic
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
On Monday night I ate two date and almond rolls. My throat tightened and I got an instant headache and nausea. Tonight I ate two date and coconut rolls - I feel fine :D . No more eating nuts just coz they taste good

Vora
Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
a little lactose intolerance... and I think that's all...

Tofu Monster
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
i am allergic to propolis (some kind of honey side product) but that's obviously not a problem anymore. it used to make my mouth get sore and swell up.

i also can't eat strawberries. i don't think i'm allergic to them, just intolerant: they give me instant diarrhea. :eek:

Tigerlily
Feb 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Milk gives me massive sinus headaches. I also recently found that online that oranges and grapes can give people sinus headaches, so I'm trying to see if that's a problem for me too.

Mystic
Feb 5th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Ok - I AM allergic to nuts and chamomile tea for sure. I think sulphites are also a problem as my throat has been tightening when I eat dried fruit. So I went and bought organic dried fruit