PDA

View Full Version : Creamy Tofu and Brocolli Soup

vegcurry
Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Well, I had some tofu and brocolli sitting in the fridge and I thought I wander how they'd go together in a soup and it was really very tasty. It's full of protein.

1x head of Brocolli
2x large onions
1x 250g packet of firm Tofu (I used Cauldron brand)
approx. 1/2 pint soya milk
approx. cup of vegetable stock
a few good splashes of soya sauce
a few good splashes of chipotle chilli sauce (you could use smoked paprika if you wanted)

Chop and fry the onions until golden.
Chop the tofu into small pieces.

Put the onions, soya milk, stock, (uncooked) tofu pieces and flavourings into a blender and whizz up until creamy.

Chop the brocolli into smallish pieces and lightly steam for a few minutes. Add the brocolli to the blender and whizz up until it's as smooth as you want it. Add more soya milk or vegertable stock if required.

Put the soup back into a saucepan and warm it back up to eating temperature. I didn't do this too long as I didn't want to overcook anything.

It came out a beautiful pale green colour and a creamy texture which Mrs vegcurry described as almost nutty like.

Serve with pumpkin and sunflower seeds that have been toasted with soy sauce in a frying pan, and some fresh vine tomato pieces as garnish.

DavidT
Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Wow. Sounds brilliant. A must-try. The topping is one of my favourites. Well done.

BlackCats
Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
That sounds yummy. I wouldn't have thought to combine those ingredients.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE]Well, I had some tofu and brocolli sitting in the fridge and I thought I wander how they'd go together in a soup and it was really very tasty. It's full of protein.

Really, are you sure?! You mean vegans can have protein...well I never...goodness you learn something new everyday.
Sounds yum, but not keen on tofu....does it change the flavour added in a soup? :dizzy:

veganwitch
Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks for posting the recipe vegcurry. It sounds delicious! Cream of broccoli soup was one of my favorites pre-vegan.

emendblu
Jul 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
this sounds pretty amazing. since going vegan i think having a wide variety of soup is one of the things i miss the most. its tough to even come by any vegan friendly vegetable soup at the grocery store.

Daffodil
Jul 28th, 2009, 11:59 PM
does the tofu add to the texture? I wonder because as it doesn't have much flavour and as you're blending it up what role does it play in the soup?
it does sound lush tho.....

*live*&*let*live
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
^ that's what I was asking in my post my mate Daffy! But I think cos I was being silly and making an attempt to be ironic I wasn't answered! :o
Perhaps it makes it creamy?! :D

Daffodil
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
^well the OP didn't answer either of us anyhow :-)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
OW Yeeeaahh just noticed the date on your post. Maybe he's away or fallen into a big pot of tofu and brocolli soup :eek:

Daffodil
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
:eek:

*live*&*let*live
Jul 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mind you he would be mighty tasty when he came out though! ;)

Daffodil
Jul 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
:p

fiamma
Jul 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM
this sounds pretty amazing. since going vegan i think having a wide variety of soup is one of the things i miss the most. its tough to even come by any vegan friendly vegetable soup at the grocery store.

It's really not hard to make soup ;)

DavidT
Jul 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM
It's really not hard to make soup ;)

I agree - but it does depend upon the soup! Simple soups take little time or preparation.

I have soup for my lunch today; the main ingredients (spuds, sugar snaps, onions, mint) were still growing in our garden as at 6:00 pm yesterday. The soup was prepared while I was freezing broad beans.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
That sounds nice David, not something I would have thought of but nice, do you blend or have chunky?

DavidT
Jul 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Both - blend about three quarters of it.

vegcurry
Jul 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
does the tofu add to the texture? I wonder because as it doesn't have much flavour and as you're blending it up what role does it play in the soup?
it does sound lush tho.....

Yes, it made it sort of creamyish but slightly firm, almost like adding a lot of ground almonds to it. I wasn't a smooth texture but neither was it thick as porridge...sort of inbetween. What role? mostly to add more protein to what would have otherwise been lacking in just a brocolli soup. Next time I think I'll marinade it in liquid smoke before blending. And it was good cold spread on toast the next day. I hope that answers it :o

*live*&*let*live
Aug 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
HURRAH! You are back! Did you really have a swim in a big pan of soup?! ;)

Roxy
Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
It sounds nice! We always have tofu in the freezer and quite often some left over broccoli in the fridge. I'll hang on to this recipe and give it a try some time.

vegcurry
Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
^ ummmm.... I don't know if frozen/defrosted tofu would work as that changes the texture of it. When I said firm tofu I meant the block type rather than the silken. But if you give a go then let me know how it turns out as we've always got tofu in the freezer.

Roxy
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Yes, I've got the block-type frozen. I was given it for free at work, on the day that it expired, so I brought it home and froze it.

No worries though - I'll let you know how it turns out.