PDA

View Full Version : Staying Edgy

Pages : [1] 2

gertvegan
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Staying Edgy

Hardcore fans live 'straight-edge' lifestyle

By Ashley Norris, www.journalnow.com (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779982410&path=!living&s=1037645509005)

The music they listen to is known as hardcore, but their lifestyle is not what you think.

Hardcore music, a type of underground music influenced by fast, abrasive punk rock, has a large following among teenagers in the Triad. The teenagers who attend these shows are often heavily pierced and wear T-shirts of bands with such names as Glass Casket and Tell Them I Died.

Male fans may even wear pants designed for girls, a recent trend at hardcore shows.

The fans' appearance and the intensity of the music they listen to may suggest to many an atmosphere of drug and alcohol abuse.

But that's not the case.

Many teenagers who attend hardcore shows live a lifestyle known as "straight edge." To be straight edge means you have taken a vow to be drug- and alcohol- free.

The vow is taken very seriously. Some even refrain from using ibuprofen or Chapstick because alcohol is an inactive ingredient. If a teenager decides to "break edge" or use drugs or alcohol, they cannot become straight edge again.

Area hardcore bands including Winston-Salem's Glass Casket and Kernersville's Tell Them I Died, can be seen at such venues as Somewhere Else Tavern and Ace's Basement, both in Greensboro.

Fans can keep track of shows by visiting hardcore Web sites.

Dancing at hardcore shows is a spectacle. The pit, or the open area in front of the stage, is the place for the hardcore dance known as "two-stepping," which involves the rapid movement of your feet.

Other dance moves include punching, stomping, spin-kicking, floor-punching, donkey-kicking and windmilling.

Some teenagers say they feel that the rigorous standards of being straight edge obstruct other parts of their lives. Jordan McGee, a junior at East Forsyth High School and the drummer in the hardcore band Adira, says he felt as though being straight edge became an obstacle to his beliefs as a Christian.

"I was only concerned about being straight edge and I wasn't as focused on God," he said. "I am still drug- and alcohol-free, but I am focused on being a Christian now."

Many teenagers who follow hardcore music are also strongly opposed to animal cruelty. Many have become vegetarian or vegan. Vegans do not eat or wear animal products at all.

David Bulmer, a senior at East Forsyth who frequently attends hardcore shows, says he believes that it is cruel to end the life of an animal.

"We don't need meat to live, so why not get meat from sources besides animals?" he asked.

Rob Turner, a junior at East Forsyth and a fellow hardcore fan, agrees. "If people knew what was in that cute milk mustache they would definitely think twice about animal products," he said.

"The goal of being a vegan is to reduce the amount of animal products used as much as possible," said Lyle Mitchell, a senior at Glenn High School and a bass player in a hardcore band.

Patrick Hughlett, a senior at East Forsyth, says that the beliefs shared by hardcore fans unite them.

"The beliefs of those in the hardcore scene are not just part of another trend; it is a movement found in the music for a better lifestyle," he said.

feline01
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
The waitress at my former favorite veg restaurant (they closed :mad: ) is hardcore. Many people might look at her and see a wild, punk druggy but she wouldn't even tough an aspirin. She even tried to refuse pain killers when passing a kidney stone but they were forced on her at the hospital. I very much respect her lifestyle.

Unfortunately, I was never a straight edge, more like a rounded corner ;) . I probably should have detoxed for about 5 years before becoming pregnant :) .

Gorilla
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:29 PM
i think two members of the LostProphets (one of my favourite bands!) are straight edge, but not sure if that includes being veg*n.

snaffler
Apr 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I know a few guys who are straight edge and it has some many varied ideals from person to person it seems to change I am confused by it all but this seems the most ideal way to live if you were considering a real straight edge life style http://www.vegan-straight-edge.org.uk/

Tigerlily
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:55 PM
There some straight edge kids in my school. They aren't vegan, most of them. Let alone vegetarian. I see them eating their fast food in the hallways at lunch.

snaffler
Apr 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM
My experiance of Straight Edgers of late is very superficial and extremely fashion oriantated in the sense of the latest band they like are straight edge so I think I will be....this is often short lived on the way home past the Mcdonalds and getting cheap booze for friends partys.

Despite that I have met some people who are dedicated and a good example of a more realistic and traditional approach to straight edge, yes they like all the Hardocre Music but they also abstaine from all impurities and stick to their guns like glue.

But the fact of it is many seem to be on a fashion statement I guess the true light will shine when these people are still straight edge later on.

grapes
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Hey this is grapes I am straight edge and vegan and I love the way I live my life u get so much enjoyment out of it.I dont go around to everyone and say look at me I am straight edge but some people do think u r into drug etc...and that just gets to me they have one look at me and think that I am one of those punk hardcore rockers but thats not me I only like that hardcore music.... :confused:

snaffler
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Hey this is grapes I am straight edge and vegan and I love the way I live my life u get so much enjoyment out of it.I dont go around to everyone and say look at me I am straight edge but some people do think u r into drug etc...and that just gets to me they have one look at me and think that I am one of those punk hardcore rockers but thats not me I only like that hardcore music.... :confused:

Go grapes do your thing and stick to your guns ignore those who ask youabout drugs etc brush it off and get on with your life....ENJOY :D

Evilfluffbunny
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
The first time I ever heard of Straight Edge was an interview with about 4 teenagers. They all seemed really into it and were vegan, drug free etc but then they said that it's probably just a phase that they'll grow out of! :confused: Maybe you aren't really Straight Edge at all though if you have that sort of outlook.

grapes
Apr 9th, 2005, 06:01 AM
I have been straight edge for ages!! I know alot of people that are still straight edge and they are in their late 40's they just dont wear the punk clothes but everything else is straight edge they are still drug free alcohol free etc etc etc.... So dont just think it is a phase!!! Some people drop out of it but the people that stay on are my inspirations!!!! Keep on rockin all you straight edgers!!! :D

Seaside
Apr 9th, 2005, 07:45 AM
My grampa was straight edge and lived til he was 101. My gramma was, too, and lived til she was 83. They each died at home in their sleep, without losing any of their mental sharpness, or going through a long disease process. Of course, there was no culture called straight edge during their lives! But that's what they were!

grapes
Apr 10th, 2005, 08:27 AM
seaside- That is so great!!! at least me and you know that we wont die a painfull death!!!

Evilfluffbunny
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I don't smoke, do drugs and hardly ever drink alcohol as I don't like it very much and I'm also into metal, goth etc. I don't think anyone would consider me Straight Edge though - is that because it's specifically a punky or Nu metal type thing, or does it include a wide range of people? I'm a bit clueless as you can tell.

Glen
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Its not just hardcore music, although it does seem to be any of the more modern alternative genre followers that seem to do it. What has started to happen now is that at gigs and shows, 'straight-edge' people draw a cross on their hand so that other people know they are straight edge. To me it seems like a fad; a fashion statement that young people overuse without any real conviction. I don't take drugs, smoke, and I only drink alcohol very occasionaly; I think that is a little more realistic than being 'straight-edge'.

As for hardcore music, it rules! I love it, although I must admit the 'dancing' some people do is rather funny.

Evilfluffbunny
Apr 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
To me it seems like a fad; a fashion statement that young people overuse without any real conviction.

That's what bugs me, they spoil it for those who really ARE serious and genuine about it, like those teenagers I mentioned earlier. I mean, anyone who read that article will assume that Straight Edge is nothing more than a current trend. :mad: It's the same as these numpties who go veggie/vegan just because their favourite star is.

As for hardcore music, it rules! I love it, although I must admit the 'dancing' some people do is rather funny.

I wonder if it's as funny as the Gothic Two-step? :D The 'I don't have any bones' type of 'dancing' is funny too.

grapes
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:51 AM
its not just a fad like i said i know people that are in there 40s and are straight edge...Yeah that is correct glen I went to a show like that and it was awesome its justgreat that u don't have to get wasted or high to have fun!!!!

sutekidane
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I guess I just never got into the whole smoking/drinking game, I know lots of people mix straight edge and vegan together so just thought there could be a good chance some straight edge people are here too?

Peas'nHominy
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
What does "straight edge" mean? :o

abrennan
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:26 PM
it's a punk rock movement that has been stolen by people who don't intoxicate themselves or have sex with anyone. Gliondrach thinks he's straight edge now after he's heard about it but we know he's Johnny Rotten with a druids cape and a mask, and dare I menetion those gloves. He's been very quiet lately cause they're keeping him tied up.

Peas'nHominy
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
ha ha. Well, I guess that's not me. I'm married and have a great...married life. ;)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I am "hardcore" but not straight edge. A proper Scorpio, I am a hedonist ;)

sutekidane
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
actualy sex is alllowed it's just no casual sex, so no random flings ect, it's fine with a partner married or just dating

Mr Flibble
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I thought it was no sex before marriage? tsk, straight edge people today obviously arn't as hardcore as they used to be :p

sutekidane
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I thought it was no sex before marriage? tsk, straight edge people today obviously arn't as hardcore as they used to be :p
well those are the basic rules other people set higher boundries for themselves I.e no sex before marriage, no drugs can include caffeine and paracetamole ect and lots of them chose to be vegeterian or vegan

DianeVegan
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, other straight edge people have posted on this forum. You may encounter some but they don't tend to be very active on this forum for some reason. I think Gliondrach scares them off. ;)