PDA

View Full Version : Constant thirst

Pages : 1 [2]

harpy
Jul 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Just a thought, but don't some pharmacies do tests? Might be a good compromise between the expense of trip to the Docs and the struggle of trying to DIY.

That's a good idea - I think pharmacists may do free diabetes screening in the UK so perhaps something similar is available where DiaShel is. Might be good to rule that out.

herbwormwood
Jul 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Being really thirsty without obvious reason is also a symptom of kidney problems.

If you have to pay for a doctor appointment for a diabetes test I think it could be a lot less expensive than having undiagnosed diabetes, which can do serious (expensive) damage to bodies.
Speaking from personal experience... when certain organs don't work properly one ends up having a lot of medical attention!
Here in the UK I think pharmacies will do simple diabetes tests, not sure if its free or a small charge?
Type 1 diabetes usually runs in families but people don't always have a family member with it.

Muppet
Jul 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Also, don't want to alarm you but did you know you can drink too much water? It affects your electrolyte balance which can give you problems with your kidneys. This is unlikely as the kidneys can flush out a lot of water a day. Water intoxication is when you drink too much, too quickly and that is also uncommon but it is worth seeing your GP. :D

I suffered with water intoxication a few years ago. I was drinking and drinking and always felt thirsty, had headcahes and peeing day & night.

My GP tested my urine for diabetes which was negative so she diagnosed water intoxification and told me that I had messed up the level of salts in my blood??
She ordered me to add electrolyte (sugar & salt) sachets of powder to my water for a whole week to balance it out.

I wasn't convinced of her diagnosis but she was spot on. Drinking too much water brings on headaches & more thirst, making you drink more as you feel dehydrated.

Now I always add something to my water, usually a squeeze of fresh lemon as I find this stays in my system longer than pure water.

Hope this helps & good luck!
M x

Trow
Jul 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
What about this: http://www.homeaccess.com/CheckUpAmericaDiabetesTest.asp

It seems to suggest that that the results are reviewed by a doctor at no extra cost - that's surely no bad thing.

Or you can get your cholesterol measured at the same time for a little more money: http://www.homeaccess.com/CheckUpAmericaDiabetes_CholesterolTest.asp

DiaShel
Jul 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well, I guess 50 bucks is cheaper then seeing a doctor, but then if it's not that (which I don't think it is) then we can't explore other reasons for it. I think I'll look into exactly how much it would cost to see the doctor. I'd like to just get a full physical and then hopefully I won't have to go back until I get insurance.

Est
Jul 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Just a thought... but if anything turned out to be wrong, would it increase the cost of insurance when you do get some, or lead to permanent exclusions? (It certainly did with my horses :mad: )

Is there any way you can afford to take out insurance first?

DiaShel
Jul 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh wow. I didn't even think of that. The whole "pre-existing condition thing". Unfortunately insurance really isn't an option right now. To get insurance on my own (not through work or school, etc) is about 600 a month. Since my medical expenses are, like, nothing, I can't justify it. It does make me think twice about getting diagnosed then.

Est
Jul 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wow that's expensive!! I didn't realise it ran to that much. *Thinks* When my dad had private healthcare in the dim and distant past, there was an option to add children/spouse as an extension to his policy more cheaply than them having insurance separately - is that allowed over there?

What a nightmare situation :amazed_ani:

Gorilla
Jul 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
sorry to hear it's so difficult for you to arrange medical stuff, DiaShel.

i'm really thirsty a lot of the time too, i've been tested for diabetes a couple of times and the results have been normal. i'm tired a lot as well though so i'm thinking i may have something else wrong with me, but the doctors aren't too concerned about looking into it.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Oh wow. I didn't even think of that. The whole "pre-existing condition thing". Unfortunately insurance really isn't an option right now. To get insurance on my own (not through work or school, etc) is about 600 a month. Since my medical expenses are, like, nothing, I can't justify it. It does make me think twice about getting diagnosed then.

:eek: Don't let the cost of something put you off finding out what is wrong. I am not intending to scare you but just say it IS something serious (and I am not for one minute saying it is) but YOU MUST look after your health first and foremost. Are you not able to go to one of the free clinics over there? What about your parents can they not help you or put you on their insurance? Sorry I am talking off the top of my head but I don't know the system over there. :o

Zero
Jul 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
If you don't eat many foods that are high in water content already, perhaps try that. Eat more things like oranges and other water rich foods.

I only find I am constantly thirsty when I haven't eaten much fruit. I also work in an air conditioned office that seems to contribute to my thirst.

It could also be down to an allergy, for example if you have problems digesting wheat protein, those proteins can enter the blood stream undigested and your body then uses more water to balance the acidity of the undigested proteins.

missbettie
Jul 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
dia are you done at school? because most schools have free health clincs for their students, thats what you pay the health fee for.

DiaShel
Jul 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm too old to be on my parents insurance and I'm not married. I don't know of any free clinics and I probably wouldn't qualify to be seen at one.
Zero- I eat lots of fruits, that's interesting about the allergies. I have wondered because I feel like I react badly to certain things but have not found a connection.

sorry to hear it's so difficult for you to arrange medical stuff, DiaShel.

i'm really thirsty a lot of the time too, i've been tested for diabetes a couple of times and the results have been normal. i'm tired a lot as well though so i'm thinking i may have something else wrong with me, but the doctors aren't too concerned about looking into it.

I get tired a lot too. I feel like with the way I eat and work out I should have more energy then I do. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep my eyes focuse. I kind of thought maybe it was pyschological not physical but I'm not depressed or anything. Maybe we're having the same kind of problem though, whatever it is.

Zero
Jul 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Dia, perhaps cut out wheat for 2-3 weeks and see if there is any improvement :)

DiaShel
Jul 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Wheat!? I love my wheat though :(

So is that like "gluten free" stuff. I never understood that completely.

Zero
Jul 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
There are sources of gluten other than wheat such as spelt (low in gluten) or oats, some people are sensitive to all gluten and others just certain types. I believe the main one is wheat.

I am actually quite sensitive to wheat so I keep my intake of it really low these days. Many people who have problems with wheat can tolerate spelt as a replacement (it is an archaic form of wheat apparently).

I avoid the obvious things like wheat bread and pasta, I've been using rice pasta for a long time mainly because it cooks faster :thumbsup:

Like you, I am fond of wheat products, unfortunately my body isn't. If I eat a lot of wheat I get to feeling really dehydrated and lot's redness and blemishes come out in my skin and even seems to trigger acne bouts with me.

It's just a suggestion, cut it out for a little while and see how you feel, if you feel better you can try to work a lesser amount back into your diet and control the situation :)

If it makes no difference then that wasn't the cause and you can just go back to doing what you were doing :p

DiaShel
Jul 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Well last summer I went a month only eating raw foods and I was still thirsty (and tired) all the time. So I guess that can't be it huh? sigh of relief

herbwormwood
Jul 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Being thirsty and tired and needing too pee a lot are 3 symptoms of diabetes.
Maybe someone would donate the charge for a diabetes test if you agreed to get tested?
A young friend of mine who I used to work with died a few years ago from complications of diabetes. She died suddenly on her own at home. I hadn't even known she was diabetic until after she died, she didn't talk about it and she looked well. She wasn't overweight and I had no idea she had health problem.

Roxy
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:44 AM
How are things Dia? Have you managed to get a test of some sort done? If not, why not try the electrolyte thing and see if that works for you.

DiaShel
Aug 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for checking up on me Roxy. :) I haven't done any tests but I did get some coconut water to try out. The last few days have been hard to tell because I have this tiny bit of a sore throat and it feel like when you're super super thirsty so I keep drinking and drinking to make to go away but that's not it. :hmm:

fiamma
Aug 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Are you still worried about your thirst, Dia?

DiaShel
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Not really worried no... :o I know I can't afford to do anything about it now and I really don't think it's anything serious so no sense worrying. I was just more wondering if other people feel the same way.