PDA

View Full Version : Gastritis

applepie
Aug 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Do you have any tried and tested tips or remedies offering short-term relief, apart from antacid medication and dealing with what's causing it?

veganwitch
Aug 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I admit I don't have any tried and true remedies. I also had to google gastritis to find out specifically what the deal was :o. (clearly I will be no help whatsoever :rolleyes:)

The link below seemed pretty informative. I especially liked the info in the herbal therapy section. It mentioned some good herbs that I know come in tea form.

http://www.answers.com/topic/gastritis

I was going to suggest ginger tea which I drink whenever I feel too full or have given myself a stomachache b/c I ate too much.

When I read that gastritis had to do w/ the breakdown of bacteria I wondered if adding probiotics to your diet would help.

Sorry, again, probably no help. I really hope you feel better applepie.

applepie
Aug 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Veganwitch, you are being helpful - thanks for the link.
I'm not too sure about probiotics though. I know that in my case it's resulting from anorexia. I should eat enough so that my stomach doesn't have to digest itself... :/ It's usually worse at very stressful times, so that's another factor I could hopefully work on.
For the time being I'm just trying to reduce the discomfort and stick to rather plain food such as porridge, which does also help. I might give ginger tea a go - that sounds like it could be helpful as well. Thanks!

veganwitch
Aug 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
You're welcome applepie! :)

herbwormwood
Aug 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Are you getting help for the anorexia? It sounds serious.
I would be dubious about using gastritis remedies to allow yourself to continue starving yourself. Your gastritis sounds like your body's cry for help.

applepie
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, I am getting help and I have been gaining weight. It just takes time to really make changes. I know I should listen to what my body is trying to tell me, and I'm don't intend to continue treating it poorly. I'm rather looking for short-term solutions to ease the discomfort.