PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds nomination by Vegetarian Society UK

Pages : 1 [2]

leedsveg
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I do understand the VegSoc's reasoning; they want to give people a product guide based purely on ingredients rather than ethics. It just seems crazy to me that a vegetarian society would "approve" a company which causes so much suffering on so many levels. :pissed:

Exactly fiamma. It just sends out a mixed/confused message.:rollseyes_ani:

leedsveg

Mahk
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
"Free range eggs" is like "happy meat"; it is counter productive to getting people to realize how horrible it is to raise animals to be slaughtered. We shouldn't applaud organizations that promote this crap. What's next? Soft cushy beds for veal production?

"Not only do our calves have a full size pen they can even turn around in, they also have a soft cushy bed to lie down in when they are too weak from the induced anemia to stand! What a luxurious and happy life they have."

On the other hand I can't say I'm 100% against the concept of animal welfare. We have to be practical and accept that humans will be keeping animals to eat for some time. Should we ignore their plight? That doesn't make sense either. Oh well.

leedsveg
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
On the other hand I can't say I'm 100% against the concept of animal welfare. We have to be practical and accept that humans will be keeping animals to eat for some time. Should we ignore their plight? That doesn't make sense either. Oh well.

I agree Mahk. There don't seem to be any easy answers.

leedsveg:down:

DavidT
Aug 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
IIt just seems crazy to me that a vegetarian society would "approve" a company which causes so much suffering on so many levels. :pissed:

Precisely. It's all spin to me and there's much that is very disturbing about the idea of McDonalds being helped to occupy high moral ground.

Trow
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I suspect my viewpoint might not be very well regarded, but here goes...

Vegetarianism is quite often a step towards veganism. The vegetarian society is just that, and does work that the vegan society could not do because of terms of scale - higher membership = more revenue to spend on appropriate projects.

The fact that they raise awareness of vegetarianism to the point that companies like McDonalds, famed for really bad burgers, spend the time and effort reformulating products to make them suitable for vegetarians is a really positive step. People don't go from being omnivores one day to knowing all about the implications of meat and dairy and eggs and the ethics of certain businesses overnight - it is a process. And if the process is aided by being able to have slaughter-free milkshakes, then all the better, really. The great by-product is that all the non-veggies that go there also get a vegetarian drink if they choose milkshake.

Would there be any benefit in having a vegan milkshake in McDonalds? I highly doubt it.

leedsveg
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
The great by-product is that all the non-veggies that go there also get a vegetarian drink if they choose milkshake.

Better still, all the people who go there and choose a tea/coffee without milk, get a vegan drink. :D

Would there be any benefit in having a vegan milkshake in McDonalds? I highly doubt it.I think the fewer cows that would suffer if McDonalds served vegan milkshakes, would be a benefit. If only McDonalds would pursue this aspect and so extend their animal welfare consideration. :(

leedsveg

Buddha Belly
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Better still, all the people who go there and choose a tea/coffee without milk, get a vegan drink. :D

leedsveg

:D:D:D:D:D:D
I have only done this many faces as the forum does not like any more

fiamma
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
However much they reformulate their milkshakes, the rest of their products are as cruel as ever.

Buddha Belly
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I like to term it 'turd polishing' - Shine it as much as you want, it is still sh*t

leedsveg
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:29 PM
fiamma;596968 However much they reformulate their milkshakes, the rest of their products are as cruel as ever.What the hell was in their milkshakes before?:eek: No, don't tell me, my stomachs a bit sensitive at the moment.:D

leedsveg

Sgable84
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:33 AM
That doesn't sound right...an oxymoron is more like it...

After all I know about Mcdonalds and all I know about the torture that animals go through, I would NEVER eat there again. Infact, my brother in law was eating some next to me the other day and I wanted to throw up cause it smelled so icky.