PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh

Anastazee
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
So I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable! MOVING to a far away city that I know nothing about. The idea is fun and exciting, but the reality of it is so very scary. I pretty much have everything at my disposal here in NY and I'm pretty comfortable with my lifestyle. I figured the forum would be the best place to get some feedback on life in PITTSBURGH. Anyone currently living there? or know anything about the city? The research I've been doing leads me to believe it's a pretty Vegan-Friendly place. I was hoping it had a Vegan Community that I could connect with. Any and all information (good and bad) about the city is so much appreciated!! i.e. weather, cleanliness, mentality, over all experiences. :smile: thanks guys

gogs67
Aug 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
It's been a few years since i was there but i loved the place, more to do with the people really!
There seemed to be plenty of vegans around and vegan friendly eateries from what i remember.
I was up Polish Hill area and it seemed a nice community feel!

Anastazee
Aug 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yea so far the people I've met are amazing. So genuine, it's refreshing. I'm going next tuesday to do an initial tour of the area, it's exciting!

fondducoeur
Aug 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I was just in Pittsburgh this weekend. I love it there. I moved to PA in January, and since spent several weekends there. The city has a cool feel to it. Even though it is much more of a college/research area than it used to be, it still is a very industrial place (which makes it a bit gritty in some spots), but it is set in the most beautiful location. There are also several good places to eat.
My fave so far, (especially for brunch) is Quiet Storm. It is all vegetarian, which many vegan options. There is a place called Maggie's Mercentile that I believe is completely vegan which is good also. Other than that, there are some great Ethiopian places, and I saw there was a place called Oh Yea, Ice Cream that has vegan ice cream and waffle cones (sadly I was too full after dinner to track it down). The only vegetarian place I have not been happy with in Pittsburgh was called Hoi Polloy...where I had a mushy, tastless veggie burger and not great service.
Anyway, that was a lot about food...
Other things you should do in Pittsburgh (not that I am an expert or anything...) are see the Carnegie Art adn Natural History Museum (they have an amazing dinosaur exhibit) and the Duquesne Incline on Mt. Washington.
Let me know if you ever organize a meet up! I am less than 3 hours from Pittsburgh and I go there pretty frequently!

K Rog
Sep 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
I live it Pittsburgh. It is a wonderful place to be, especially now. It seems as if neighborhoods are growing and becoming more open-minded, which blends perfectly with the existing culture. It is very vegan-friendly, with a ton of great places to choose from. I am addicted to Thai restaurants, which there are plenty. The co-op is great, and whole foods and trader joe's are within 5 minutes of each other.
I mentioned Zenith in a previous post, with it's vegan Sunday brunch. Quiet Storm, Double-Wide grill, Over-the-Bar, more are popping up everywhere.
Lots of things do get involved in, great, friendly people, pretty inexpensive. Good city~!!!

Anastazee
Sep 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
K Rog, thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated. I might actually be heading down there for a second trial this weekend. I checked out the Co-op last time I was there and Whole foods is of course amazing, as much as i wanna hate it I love it! I didnt know about Zenith, thanks so much for that tip, We went to some place called...... hmmm..... okay so I forget, thats how unmemorable it was... they had a couple vegan options for brunch, I got the tofu scramble wrap, it was good, but greasy. Service sucked. We went to KAYA on the third Wed of the month and there was a set vegan Menu and we did a wine pairing, super fun. We tried to goto Maggies on our way to Ohiopyle but it was closed? didnt have time to goto Quiet Storm but I definately wanna check it out. I ate at srees on CMU campus... bad idea. where else did we go? Some japenese restaurant Kims I think? near the bus station? omg, I was impressed, They had these amazingly huge bowls of like kimchi and then you could incorperate all sorts of veggies and throw sushi rice on top. As for the whole situation, I'm still massively hesitent... Pittsburgh is definately a differnt world from ny

Anastazee
Sep 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
fondducoeur (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/member.php?u=7422) if I DO goto pitt, I most definately will be trying arrange meet ups! I'll need as many friends as possible!

gogs67
Sep 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I mentioned Zenith in a previous post, with it's vegan Sunday brunch. ~!!!
I think that's the place i was meant to be going to as a treat on the Sunday, but we ended up at a huge party in a warehouse place that went on all night (i vaguely remember playing basketball with loads of crazy punks and trying my hand at archery they had set up in the corner?????) and so, regretfully, i had to give the brunch a miss the next morning!!!!:(

K Rog
Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
I think that's the place i was meant to be going to as a treat on the Sunday, but we ended up at a huge party in a warehouse place that went on all night (i vaguely remember playing basketball with loads of crazy punks and trying my hand at archery they had set up in the corner?????) and so, regretfully, i had to give the brunch a miss the next morning!!!!:(

Well that does sound fun..but you have to go back. it is cake heaven.

Anastazee
Jan 31st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Guys, I'm officially living in Pittsburgh now! I've found some pretty cool spots, I was wondering if anyone near by would be interested in a meetup? :)

fondducoeur
Feb 1st, 2010, 12:26 AM
I would be interested in a meetup...but February is going to be really busy for me (I have two out of town trips planned, and Pittsburgh is 3 hours away). But, by March I would be up for making a trip out there.