PDA

View Full Version : vegan wonton!

chrystanthem
Aug 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I made vegan wonton today, and they tasted faboulous, so I want to share the recipe with you!

Wonton skins:
2 cups (5 dl) flour
some salt
1/2 cup (1.25 dl) water

mix the water gently together with the flour and salt. The dough will be very tough. Knead for about 15 minutes until smoot, and leave to rest under a towel or some plastic for about 20 minutes

Filling:
Be creative! You can fill your wontons with almost everything!

I used:
1 packet of tofu, dried and crumbeled
cantarellus mushrooms, finely chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
some sun dried tomatoes, soaked and chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

2 tsp fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp of water

heat some oil in a frying pan (about 1 tbsp) and fry your filling. let cool a bit before mixing in the cornstarch and basil leaves. leave to cool before you start filling your wontons.

cut your dough in half and roll each half into a sausage. cut into approx. 32-35 pieces (they should be quite small). take a piece and roll it out as thin and round as possible (make sure you are working on a dusted surface to reduce sticking) and put a teaspoon of your filling in the middle. wet the edges with some water, and fold the dough over the filling. scrunch the sides to seal it. Continue doing this untill you have lots and lots of lovely wontons.

now, bring a pan of salted water to the boil, and gently put some wontons (I cook about 12 at a time) into the boiling water. let them boil untill they are translucent, about 2-3 minutes, before removing them with a slotted spoon.

serve with dipping sauce (soy sauce is looovely) and some greens (I used spinach tossed with some oil and sesame seeds)

vegcurry
Aug 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Sounds yummy, I have to try this sometime.

Kitteh
Aug 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I love wontons! I saw some pre-made wrappers in the supermarket.

chrystanthem
Aug 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I guess you could use pre-made wrappers. It would make the whole thing much easier! :3

I have to add that the wontons are also great served cold.

pat sommer
Aug 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I also found frozen wrappers while in CA. Still had to press them a bit thinner for good results.

Some of our favorite fillings are

Carrot: grated fairly fine and lightly salted-left-to-drain.Squeeze out. Mix with a small portion of wood-ear mushroom (cheap if bought dry) chopped fine. Seasoned with a dribble of sesame oil, ginger, garlic. Should be salty enough from draining.

Fennel: green feathery stuff. Chop well. Season as above. Bits of green always peek out so these will not be mystery bites!

Mustard Green: blanche, chop and possibly mix with milder greens. We love the strong flavor. Only needs salt. Spring onion wouldn't hurt.

We cook ours in barely simmering water (stir gently). Any holes and they end up soup.

Good dark Chinese vinegar is the best condiment. Balsamic a reasonable substitute. Some folk eat them with soysauce and chillies

missbettie
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
^ do you recall what store you got them from?

pat sommer
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ralph's.
Most do contain eggs but I got lucky.

missbettie
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
saweet i'll check out ralphs. :D