PDA

View Full Version : Daiya cheese

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Mr Flibble
Jan 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
when melted does it become stringy at all?

RubyDuby
Jan 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
it stretches a little bit before breaking off, if that's what you mean. It's a lot less dense than regular cheese.

Roxy
Jan 31st, 2010, 11:12 PM
It's not AS stringy as mozzarella, but it is a little bit stringy. Ruby's right - it's not as dense as real cheese. Probably because it doesn't have all that gooey fat.

Cumin
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
We're thinking of trying to get some shipped over Cumin! That's how patient we both are! It looks really good, plus everyone is raving about it!

We wants!

Fondue party at your place then. :D

Bluemew
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Fondue party at your place then. :D

Almost definitely!!!!

timberly
Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
This sounds good, I want some.

Tigerlily
Feb 17th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I really want to try some of this!

I haven't had any cheese subsitute in a long time since my supermarket stopped carrying Follow Your Heart and Tofutti. I've been having some nooch sauce, which is alright, but is never a real replacement for the cheesy taste. It's delicious in it's own right, though.

I'm craving pizzas and nachos lately.

Mr Flibble
Sep 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Anyone heard any rumours of UK availability?

anyone?

:(

colleengirl95
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I haven't had Daiya cheese but it sounds delicious :).

taliarose
Nov 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Daiya is awesome. It melts and has that surrendering gooeyness that you never could have before.
It's also soy and gluten free, which isn't vital to me, but is to some!!!
But I avoid soy as much as possible, so Daiya is a great option!

Hel
Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think i might have to order some on the credit card. Is this going to be the most expensive cheese I have ever bought? lol

eta: does anyone know how much shipping works out at on veganstore.com to the uk? i was thinking about ordering 1 small bag of each type but im a bit aprehensive about typing in my card details before i know the shipping amount!

Andy_T
Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Those in Europe who crave vegan cheese, be sure to try out the No-Muh-Chäs (Swiss for 'No-Moo-Cheese'). Here's a review of a person who also knows the Daiya: http://www.plantbasedfoodie.com/vegan-cheese-review-vegusto-no-muh-chas/

And here's the website:
http://www.vegusto.com/index-en.html

Disadvantage is that this seems to have twice as much the fat as the Daiya Cheese ... which makes it pretty much off-limits for me.

I tasted it once, and it was incredibly good - even my omnivorous wife, who was totally sceptical of the idea of vegan cheese ('If you want cheese, why do you not eat real one') was really taken with it, and the 200 gram piece was gone the same day it arrived. The comparison pieces from Sheese and cheezly spent much more time in my fridge, closer to a few weeks before they were finally consumed.

Best regards,
Andy

vorpal
Nov 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I asked about European distribution via webform. Received 24th November:

Hi Vorpal,

Thank you for your interest in Daiya and our deliciously dairy free products!

We are currently focused on the launch of Daiya products in USA and Canada. We are always looking for ways to progress our business; however, I do not have a timeline as to when you can expect to see our products internationally. Hopefully you will be able to purchase Daiya in the near future.

Please keep an eye on our website for details. You will receive an automated notification once Daiya becomes available for retail purchase in your area http://www.daiyafoods.com/where/index.aspx.

Become a fan on facebook and follow us on twitter to get on-going updates and information!

Healthy Regards,

Shnane Liem

Consumer Relations/Sales Coordinator

Gattona
Nov 30th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oooh, this looks so good. If anyone who can get this is coming to the UK PLEASE pack a suitcase full:bigsmile:

Dumile
Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
My wife made me mac and cheese using this cheese. I use it all the time now. It's really good.
Idk if it will cost too much, but I wouldn't mind looking into how much it would be for me to buy a bunch of it and ship it out to a few of you in the places that still don't have it.

rainbow
Feb 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm based in Paris at the moment. Went to Loving Hut, stuffed my face mmmm, and bought a block of Vegusto Classic cheese. Wasn't very hungry this evening after such a big lunch but tasted the Vegusto cheese and was wowed! I keep going back to the fridge to get a bit more, I can't stop eating it! I've been vegan most of my life so can't really remember what non-vegan cheese tastes like, but this is mild, creamy and delicious. Definitely the best vegan cheese I have ever tasted. It is soya free (I don't mind soya products but this really does taste good!). Fat content is 19%. Does anyone know if it is sold in the UK? I'm only in Paris until the end of June and want to eat this stuff forever! I only bought the "classic" flavour as I didn't realise it would be this good and don't normally eat much "cheese", but it also came in mild, spicy, herb and walnut variations. Must get back to Loving Hut asap for some more! :D

livingfree
Apr 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
i've recently become a vegan and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO. :)

Firestorm
Apr 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
i've recently become a vega and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO. :)

That doesn't bode well!!!
I've been Vegan 3 years and can still remember what cheese tastes like.
I don't really like Cheezly unless its a flavoured version (I.E Nacho, with Fake Bacon Bits) or in quiche/on pizza, I do like the strongly flavoured Sheese's and the tofutti cream cheese - they are very nice maybe you could try them?

I'm quite looking forward to trying Vegusto http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?28174-Vegusto

Selkie
May 24th, 2011, 06:58 AM
New vegan here, and I absolutely adore Daiya! Possibly even more than real cheese (with possibly the exception of goat cheese - that was definitely a weakness for me). My husband is an omnivore still, but even he likes Daiya as well! I've made some pizza, and mac n' cheese using this, as well as grilled cheese sandwiches (all 3 of which he loves, and he's quite happy to eat the daiya in place of real cheese).

arian
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM
i've recently become a vegan and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO. :)
I feel the same. I tried making spaghetti and putting in the mozzarella and I thought it made the entire dish taste very strange.. I also tried chili and baked potatoes with the cheddar and wasn't pleased with the results. My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind it, but he doesn't really love it.

sandra
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
It is so annoying that we still can't buy this Daiya cheese over here....................what's the big secret with it? If it's so good surely they would be distributing it across the world by now? I mean, it's been on the go for over 2 years now. :(

lastx
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:04 AM
It is so annoying that we still can't buy this Daiya cheese over here....................what's the big secret with it? If it's so good surely they would be distributing it across the world by now? I mean, it's been on the go for over 2 years now. :(

Agreed! It seems to be something which divides opinion - just like most Vegan cheeses. Some folk like them, others don't. I personally think Blue Scheese is pretty good but some others hate it. I'm sure Daiya is the same but it would be nice to try it.

sandra
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I just re-read my last post and it really sounds as if I'm ranting! :o
I wasn't though, I was just wondering why it's still not available over here.............it just came across as a rant. :D

I agree Lastx.............it would be nice to try it! :)

RubyDuby
Jun 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hey, we don't have cheesly or scheese over here, so neener neener on the Daiya. :p

Firestorm
Jun 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
:pDont try and pull that one Ruby, you can get Scheese - Both veganstore (http://www.veganstore.com/category/vegan-cheese-and-dairy-alternatives/a) vegan essentials and veganessentials (http://store.veganessentials.com/cheese-alternatives-c6.aspx) stock it!:p