PDA

View Full Version : Daiya cheese

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mommal
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
is amazing!!! :D It has NO weird off-flavor whatsoever. I made a pizza tonight and it was amazing. You could probably feed it to an omni without them realizing it is vegan.

http://www.daiyafoods.com

I ordered an 8oz bag from Pangea.

For cutting and eating plain I like Dr. Cow but for cooking this is definitely going to be it!!!

Roxy
Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I've tried it too and I think it's pretty awesome!

veganf
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ooooh, Pangea sells it?!!! I've been DYING to try it! I was about ready to drive down to Mystic, CT since it's the closest place that has a pizza shop which uses it.

Roxy
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
It's very realistic and melts like a dream :)

Mommal
Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Wow veganf you are close by!! :) I'm in Shrewsbury. I didn't know there was a source in Mystic, I'll have to check that out next time I go to Foxwoods to play poker. Hey I went to Sudbury Valley School in Framingham for high school. I don't know if you've heard of it.

I'm making another pizza tonight with the daiya, whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's (it is also very good not to mention cheap and convenient) and a solid pile of roasted veg on top. I should take a picture.

shellymi2nv
Nov 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Just got my 5# bag of cheddar shreds from veganessentials. OMG! I tried it as I was putting the shreds in baggies to freeze. The flavor blew me away. Just like I remember cheddar tasting 10 years ago. Next up: scalloped potatoes, grilled cheese sandwich, fondues... DEFINATELY the BEST vegan cheese by far. :thumbsup:

FYI: 5# bag (shreds) yields 23 cups.

mariana
Nov 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
How good is this stuff? Is it worth ordering a bag when I'm in the States over Christmas? I read about it before and it sounded pretty cool but it was right before I came back to London and I didn't have time to order any.

shellymi2nv
Nov 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
^
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes well maybe yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

mariana
Nov 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
^
:p:D

fondducoeur
Nov 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I am tempted to buy some...I have eaten at some of the restaurants listed on the site that use the product and remember the food being excellent. Does it do okay during shipping?

matt35mm
Nov 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I had some! It's really tasty but maybe overly oily.

RubyDuby
Nov 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
we had it shipped. It's outrageously expensive with shipping ($18) but very, very good.

(eta: I didn't buy it, but I happily ate it :D)

shellymi2nv
Nov 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Does it do okay during shipping?

I ordered it on Tuesday evening from veganessentials in Wisconsin. The sent it 2 day air. I ordered the strofoam cold box as I had a few cold items. I got 4 little ice gel packs with the strofoam box.

I rec'd it Fri @ work. Once I opened the cold box, the items were not freezing cold, but still cold to the touch. The ice packs had defrosted but were still cold. I put the items in the fridge right away.

I'm still here a week later so no ill-effects!

shellymi2nv
Nov 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I had some! It's really tasty but maybe overly oily.Strange, I didn't think so. I have the shredded kind so maybe that reduces the oil somewhat?

matt35mm
Nov 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I had it at a restaurant, so maybe they used too much oil in cooking it...?

fondducoeur
Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
This stuff is pretty much awesome. I ordered a small bag of the cheddar and the mozzarella , and made a quesadilla with the cheddar tonight. I was really impressed. Next up, eggplant Parmesan and pizza. :D

fondducoeur
Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM

Pickled Jhon
Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hello!

Has anyone tried these? I am intrigued.. really wanna see if it's as good as the Americans are saying :)

http://www.daiyafoods.com/

Casey R
Jan 24th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Daiya cheese is pretty much the greatest invention ever made.

I had it in Portland, OR, which is where my wife lives and I'll be moving to, soon.

So annoying that you can't get it in the UK! I've been craving it badly.

Still, I'll be back in the US for a bit, in a few weeks :D

Mr Flibble
Jan 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Anyone heard any rumours of UK availability?

Bluemew
Jan 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Ooooohh! I really hope this comes over to the UK soon, otherwise I think I may have to move. :D

Spud Addict
Jan 30th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I emailed them asking about whether or not it would be available to buy in the UK and got the following response (pretty quickly, too) -

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your interest in Daiya and our vegan cheese alternatives. Daiya is currently not available outside North America. We are currently only selling to food service clients in the U.S.A and Canada and will be launching our retail product in spring 2010. We are in talks with several groups who are interested in supplying the European market, and though we hope to make Daiya available overseas in 2010 we cannot make any promises at this time. Please check back with our website periodically for updates.

There are several online retailers in both Canada and the U.S. who will ship internationally using insulated boxes and ice packs. If you are interested you may find links to their stores on our “Where to Enjoy Daiya” page: http://www.daiyafoods.com/where.html (http://www.daiyafoods.com/where.html)

All the best,

Trudel
Daiya Consumer Relations

Cumin
Jan 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Mmm.. I'd very much like to try some of that when it comes to the UK. Very interesting that it is gluten and soy free. Uses pea protein like the vegerella stuff which I quite like.

Bluemew
Jan 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
We're thinking of trying to get some shipped over Cumin! That's how patient we both are! It looks really good, plus everyone is raving about it!

We wants!

Roxy
Jan 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This "cheese" is great! It melts really, really well - so is great for Nachos, grilled "cheese" sandwiches etc...

I buy it in a large 2kg bag, divide it into little baggies (2 cups each) and freeze it. Freezing doesn't ruin it at all.

If you enjoy fake cheese products and ever have the chance to try this, I'd really suggest that you do! :)