PDA

View Full Version : Alton towers food?

littlemiss
Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Alton Towers next month and just wondering if anyone had been this summer and if they found any food suitable? Would rather not worry about taking a pack lunch as everyone else will want to keep moving (including me tbh). I cant email them to ask either. Thanks anyway!

Risker
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
From the website;

Do you cater for people with food allergies or special dietary requirements?
Yes. Please inform us when you book so we can make sure we can provide for your needs.

http://www.altontowers.com/faqs-accessibility/

Mr Flibble
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Why is a packed lunch a worry?

You've not been to Alton towers before if you think you'll be moving all day. :) I'd take a book with you for the queues as well as food

alisont
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I know Ive been to Drayton Manor with work (a college) Not of my choice to go there as they have a zoo but the food queues were awful and the types of food were not good - I did not see any vegan food but they do chips and beans type meals. The chips there were fried in the same fat as the fish.

I personally always take a packed lunch and get a cold drink there. I just take rice cakes and pate or a sandwich and fruit - to me it just saves the hassle of trying to find something to eat and holding the queue up with questions about whats in the food!

If Its warm weather I freeze a bottle of water or a juice carton to act as an ice block for food then drink it when it melts - saves carrying ice blocks round all day:)

Hope you have a good day:)

jibber
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I was at Alton Towers a couple of years ago and the food choices were awful. There were fast food type places, canteen style places and coffee shops. I ended up with just chips as I could not find anything.

We did go in to a place for a coffee later in the day though and that seemed to have a veggie wrap thing on the menu. It was near Rita Queen of Speed and had flames and things on the side of the restaurant. That seemed to be the only option and that was a couple of years ago.

I would take stuff and eat it as you are moving from one ride to another.

Ms_Derious
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM
You will also find they are *very* expensive.

Why not suggest to everyone in the group you take a proper picnic. If you are going with a group of people you know well enough that they will respect your food choices you could even suggest everyone take charge of a different food item. You make sandwiches for everyone, Fred brings ready salted crisps (everyone likes ready salted) Franny brings some cold drinks, and Dave sorts out a salad.

If people won't/aren't interested in eat 100% vegan, you can at least suggest a picnic and everyone brings there own sandwiches and one 'table' item. It's always good to show others who aren't vegan how many great things you can eat ;)

hullabaloo
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I went in July and it is very expensive for food. You can get a baked potato/ baked beans and salad in the Forbidden Valley. Also the chips at the chip shop by Nemesis are cooked in vegetable oil. You can also get ready salted crisps to snack on. That's pretty much the extent of it though, unless there were some hidden treats I was unaware of! I had the worst cravings for a toffee crisp when I was last there for some reason, never gave in though lol. All those vending machines around the place just made me want chocolate :o

If you are staying in the hotel it is not the best. Credit to them they tried, which was great and I had a chat with the chef so he knew exactly what I ate/didn't eat but I got a pasta dish that was a bit of a let down! Not that great.

Festered
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I went in July and it is very expensive for food. You can get a baked potato/ baked beans and salad in the Forbidden Valley. Also the chips at the chip shop by Nemesis are cooked in vegetable oil. You can also get ready salted crisps to snack on. That's pretty much the extent of it though, unless there were some hidden treats I was unaware of! I had the worst cravings for a toffee crisp when I was last there for some reason, never gave in though lol. All those vending machines around the place just made me want chocolate :o

If you are staying in the hotel it is not the best. Credit to them they tried, which was great and I had a chat with the chef so he knew exactly what I ate/didn't eat but I got a pasta dish that was a bit of a let down! Not that great.

I have to go here soon. Re. pasta , what was wrong with it?

hullabaloo
Aug 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It just didn't taste nice at all. I would definitely phone ahead if you are staying in the hotel. My bf forgot to do that when he booked it so perhaps you might get something better if they are more prepared.

littlemiss
Sep 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thanx hullabaloo! I'll remember the places you told me, you've been very helpful. I'm not after a vegan lasagne and salad, chips is fine for one day out. I have been to Alton towers a couple of times but last time was three years ago and I was only just veganising. we go midweek, school term , all adults so yeh we keep going, running sometimes so I dont wanna carry bags or go back to the car, I go with only what I can carry in my pockets as putting stuff down for the ride is a pain. I can't contact when I book as we're not booking ahead, we have vouchers. Thanks again for the help.