PDA

View Full Version : humous

genisis
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
ive tried three times to make my own humous and each time its turned out yukky.ive followed a recipe that i got of the internet.......anyone got any humous recipes/tips i can try please? much apreciate any as i loooove humous and would so like to master making my own :thumbsup:

squigaletta
Sep 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Surprisingly little tahini. get the right consistency with variable water. Add lots of lemon!
I'm afraid I don't have a recipe I use, just go by eye, but these are the main pointers I follow.

Korn
Sep 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Check the tags at the bottom of this thread, and you'll find some more tips! :-)

harpy
Sep 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
What was wrong with yours, genisis? Perhaps if you describe it we hummusaholics can diagnose the problem for you ;)

Festered
Sep 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
^^this:)

emmapresley
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
drained tin of chickpeas into the blender with a clove of garlic..blitz it up.

tablespoon of tahini..sprinkling of marigold bouillion..squeeze in half a lemon..handful of fresh parsley..blitz it up a bit more.

blitz it up a bit more and pour in a little glop or three of rly nice olive oil whilst you're doing it.

taste it..ponder what it's missing! bit more lemon? is the texture thick? too thick? add in a bit of water from the tin. when it tastes just right..into a bowl it goes..little drizzle of olive oil...fairy sprinkling of paprika..grab your dipping treats - carrots..toasted pitta..red pepper..breadsticks..fingers...omnomnom

herbwormwood
Sep 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
My home made hummus never tastes like the shop bought ones my BF likes. I assume this is because the shop bought ones contain more salt and oil, and sometime sugar is added. He likes salty sweet stuff. So try adding these.

harpy
Sep 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hmm, mine isn't like the shopbought stuff either because I tend to go easy on the oil etc and not pulverise it into a paste, but I like it better that way. Maybe homemade takes a bit of getting used to if you're not expecting it?

erynne936
Sep 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
This is the recipe my husband & I came up with. I think it is delicious ;)

2 cans chick peas (drained)
½ cup chick pea liquid (from the can)
3 tbsp tahini
2 tsp minced garlic
1 - 2 tsp salt
¼ - ½ cup lemon juice (depending on how thick/think you like your hummus)

4 - 8 tbsp olive oil (depending on how thick/think you like your hummus)
Add paprika & cumin to taste (~1 tsp each)
Food process until smooth.

(Makes ~3 cups of hummus)

genisis
Sep 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
many thanx to everyone,i will try all tips and recipes suggested :) and had a look at the tags at the bottom korn and got lots more tips :)
to answer your question harpy....first one was way too salty so i put half the amount of salt suggested in the next humous i made,then it just didnt taste like humous at all! and the third one i added a little bit more and more oil and water to try get the right consistency,but that didnt work either! So i will just keep trying with thanx to all for their tips :) :)