PDA

View Full Version : Vegan shoes and bags come to Saffron Walden!

Crafterga
Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Wow, Saffron Walden (Essex, about 20 miles South of Cambridge) really is starting to become more vegan friendly! A couple of months ago a cafe opened selling vegan cakes, swedish glace, booja boojas, and a few vegan paninis and falafel!

Well now, Sarah Decent of Modish shoes (http://modishonline.co.uk) is starting to sell a range of vegan shoes by Beyond Skin. She has said that she will start with a few lines and see how they go. So, if you are in the area, please do support her! (Then I'll be able to buy my shoes locally instead of the hit and miss affair online!)

She also sells a range of very popular bags by Matt and Nat, which are all vegan! I bought one as a present for a new mum, and she loved it!

And if you tell her that Gaynor sent you, you never know she might give me a discount on my next purchase!:thumbsup:

If you are travelling any distance, do contact her beforehand, as the shoes are part of her Autumn range, so I don't know if they are in stock as yet. I'll be tootling over at the weekend to find out though!

scarlett
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Excellent! What a shame I don't work in town anymore, still, not far at all to travel :)
Which cafe is that Crafterga?

Crafterga
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
It's called "Saffron, Wholefoods for sensitive souls". They have a great selection of paninis and cakes, with many clearly labelled as vegan. (On my last visit the labels weren't very prominent as they thought they were putting some people off!!!) They also cater for gluten free diets.
We tried the banana cake, which was served warm with soya cream...delish!
They also sell a few vegan goodies in the little shop, such as booja booja truffles, vegan pesto, and egg free mayo.
Saffron Walden is such a "meaty" place, that its great to find a gem like this.
It's opposite the Temeraire on the High Street.

Crafterga
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Shoes, handbags, cakes and chocolate, and all vegan, what more could a girl want!!!!

Cumin
Sep 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Wow! That's amazing.
Things must have really changed. I grew up near that town and I can't imagine anywhere less likely to provide vegan shopping (or so I thought).
If they can do it in 'Walden, then it can happen anywhere!

Crafterga
Sep 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
That is so true!

However, by having a huge smile and asking very nicely, I've actually found quite a few places in the area that have catered well for myself and my vegan other half.

I met Sarah, who owns Modish shoes about a year ago and explained how difficult it is for vegans to find suitable shoes without ordering online or travelling to Brighton or London. She promised to keep her eye open at the various trade shows she goes to, and true to her word she is giving it a go!
I really hope that the shoes sell well, as she is only a small business, and so can only continue to carry them if they are a viable line.

I am trying to spread the word to as many vegans and veggies as I can in order to encourage her to keep stocking them!!!