PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Medicine??

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Anyone know about Chinese Medicine? I have noticed I always have problems down the Right-hand side of my body, and wondered if this was to do with my Yin-Yang balance or something?
Like, when I get bad skin, it's only ever on my right side, same with bad back, a knee problem, headaches, etc. Weird! :eek:

John
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Mostly, Traditional Eastern Medicine is just superstition.

feline01
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:59 PM
They often use dead animals and insects in their "treatment" protocols.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, but do you have any ideas as to why half of my body is malfunctioning????? :p :p

feline01
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Ok, but do you have any ideas as to why half of my body is malfunctioning????? :p :p

Because you're suffering from split-personality disorder :p ?

Because the earth's axis is now tilting so you're leaning to one side?

Because you always want to be right :p ?

John
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Maybe it's the side you sleep on.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I definitely have a split-personality, and always want to be right (no, you don't, yes I do!! :D ) - but I sleep flat on my back, or occasionally on my left, never my right! :p
More suggestions, please! :rolleyes:

feline01
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
You've been leaning so far left politically that you've come full circle? :p

Anyway you could try an acupuncturist? They might be able to locate the particular problem-area.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM
My husband says the 'male' side of your brain is the right side, so that must be the problem. Typical bloody men!

eve
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
When my father was in his 80s, his right knee was painful, and he went to the doctor. The doc said "It's your age", but dad said "The left knee is the same age"!

Yes I think a good acupuncturist might be just the thing, rather than Chinese medicine. They certainly do like using bit and bobs of animals.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I would have included Accupuncture under my own heading of 'Chinese Medicine', I wasn't really thinking only of 'Chinese Traditional Medicine', but general philosophy of non-Western healing. Sorry, should have phrased my question better! :eek:
I wouldn't entertain the idea of taking animal-derived medicines, obviously, but I do find it fascinating that one side of my body is sick, and the other half seems fine! Even my hair is different on the left, it falls into shape! :)

Korn
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I know several cases of people who have almost given up using traditional western medicine, but that has got help from Chinese herb medicine (or Ayurvedic / Indian medicine). Some Asian countries very long tradition of - and wide knowledge regarding - use of herbs, as they traditionally have used plants a lot more than we have, both for food and medicine. Some of the traditional Eastern medicine is backed up by scientific data, some not.

The government here in Norway just decided two weeks ago that studies of so called 'alternative medicine' from now on is included as a part of all traditional medical studies, meaning that you can't any longer become a traditional doctor or even nurse in Norway without also spending time on studying alternative medicine. I think that's brilliant news, because even while some Eastern medicine is based on superstition, Western medicine is often based on only treating symptoms, or not even that; just moving the symptoms around (plus, 'modern' Western medicine traditionally also means long lists of side effects).

The left side of the brain is linked to the right part of the body and vice versa, so, according to both Eastern and Western theories, if the right side of body is malfunctioning, the left part of the brain (the 'mental side', as opposed to the 'emotional side') might be 'out of balance' - if you're right handed. But that's just one of many theories...

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Ahh, thankyou Korn, that was the info I couldn't remember about the brain!
Yes, it could make sense for me..................

Also, I think it is fantastic about the Norwejan governement. Why has it taken so long for traditional healing to be taken seriously? I hope it gets more and more backing, instead of being squashed as it tends to be here.

tails4wagging
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Complimentary medicine is fine but that is what it is, complimentary. Although I disapprove of most traditional medicines due to vivisection and not vegan I consider we have no choice. If I was ill or worried about my health I would seek medical opinion first.

A friend of mine swears by homeopathy and will seek their opinion first. Her health is not good and she has to take traditional medication as well as homeopathic tabs,. Fortunately her Homeopathist encourages her to see her GP and supports her by giving her homeopathic tabs. But if she did'nt have a good practitioner she would be so vulnerable as she thinks homeopathy is wonderful.
Perhaps it's my nurse training but I am sceptic about alternative medicine.

Roxy
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I love the idea of being able to heal myself of ailments by using what Mother Nature has to offer, rather than using manufactured drugs or chemicals.

I have recently found a couple of natural remedies that work wonders, and just as good, if not better, than their manufactured (unnatural) counterparts.

One of those natural remedies was a tea tree oil remedy for a ladies problem.

The second one, was a blend of oils used on my lymph gland areas, and in the bath, in the early stages of a common cold, which prevented the cold developing into something hideous.

I felt that the symptoms I was suffering in both these instances, cleared up a lot quicker than when I used commercial drugs to treat the problems. And I know this sounds kind of crazy, but spiritually I felt a lot better too :)

I hope to be able to use natural remedies for any future medical problems.

Korn
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Complimentary medicine is fine but that is what it is, complimentary.

The thing is, what two people consider main/complimentary medicine and vice versa all depends on where he lives and/or what he thinks is the best solution.

cedarblue
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
a fish-eating vegetarian :mad: friend of mine goes to see a chinese medicine practitioner and has had some very good results ?

foxytina_69
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:20 AM
pfc, i understand what you mean by chinese medicine. im very interested in alternative/asian remedies. i believe there could be a few different problems you are having. one, may have to do with feng shui. have u ever read up on this? its very interesting. it has to do with the placement of everything around you in your home, and how their placement can cause an unbalanced energy. so you may be surrounded by bad "chi" (energy) i have felt wierd symptoms when this is the case.

another may be your chakras. they could be very off balance, and this could cause many unwanted symptoms. have you seen what eve and i posted on the five tibetan rites exercises? those may help. here is an interesting website about chakras:

http://www.sacredcenters.com/chakras.html

and here is a quiz on chakras, to see if yours are balanced or not, and what you can do to balance them.

http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/chakratest.php

your inner energy may simply be not flowing free enough, do you meditate? meditating helps to get the energy flowing freely again. meditate with white candles, picturing your body being surrounded by white light, to protect you from all harm and pain and discomfort. that should help.

you may also be interested in ayurveda. heres a self test to find out what 'dosha' you are and what it reccommends for you.

http://www.holistic-online.com/w_ayurveda-dvikruti1.htm

i hope you start to feel better! :)

eve
Sep 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
traditional chinese medicine uses many animal products. today in the paper there's reference to an article in the 'New Statesman' about communities (in India) encroaching into areas of animals' habitat. Valmikl Thakar of the National Board of Wildlife said 'China's insatiable appetite for tiger products for use in traditional medicines has created a huge incentive for Indian poachers to kill tigers for their claws, teeth, brains, eyeballs, whiskers, tails, and penises to supposedly cure [a variety of complaints]'.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
traditional chinese medicine uses many animal products. today in the paper there's reference to an article in the 'New Statesman' about communities (in India) encroaching into areas of animals' habitat. Valmikl Thakar of the National Board of Wildlife said 'China's insatiable appetite for tiger products for use in traditional medicines has created a huge incentive for Indian poachers to kill tigers for their claws, teeth, brains, eyeballs, whiskers, tails, and penises to supposedly cure [a variety of complaints]'.

I just wanted to say that it is entirely possible to practice Traditional Chinese Medicine (and receive it as well) without using any animal parts at all.

Even as I type this, I have a fresh herb blend that I assembled with my Acupuncturist and that tradtionally included the lining of a chicken's gizzard :eek: and we we got to that ingredient (it's marked in its Chinese name and not obviously an animal part) I looked at the strangely bright yellow flakes that looked and smelled like dried sea weed and asked what that ingredient was and if it was necessary. My Acupuncturist looked it up and confirmed it was an animal product :( and so decided to omit that from my formula (she's very considerate and adaptable).

I regularly suggest several different herbal formulas for clients, all which are vegan and wouldn't o it any other way.

The reason that TCM uses different herbs and even animal products has to do with the Five Element System and the subtle energy each thing has (and the effect they have on the human's energy channels) and is not a random, superstitious or senseless system; it is an ancient art that works and I am grateful to have it within my reach, as are my clients.

eve
Sep 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM
It's great that you have such a good relationship with your acupuncturist. I guess that a newbie who has heard of TCM, and goes into the shop, wouldn't question the ingredients, though probably a vegan would.

Gliondrach
Sep 4th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Pink, you may be out of balance in some way. you could have tight muscles or ligaments that are putting strain on other parts of your body. An imbalance anywhere can cause pain somewhere else. Even a tight shoulder can cause pain in the knee or foot. The right side of your body could be affected by tightness on the right side or left side of your body. As for the skin problems, it could be just a coincidence that it's always on the right. Is it really always on the right or are you more likely to remember when it's on the right? perhaps an imbalance is affecting blood flow or lymph flow, which in turn, leads to problems with the skin.

A chiropractor or osteopath might be able to knock you into shape.

eve
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:10 AM
The WWF says that a reopening of Chinese business in tiger parts could doom the species to extinction and undermine efforts to curb other illegal wildlife trade. Tiger organs, teeth, bones and penises are used in traditional Chinese medicines to treat ailments like rheumatism, and they fetch high prices on the black market.

In other parts of Asia, tiger bones are considered an aphrodisiac.

China banned domestic trade in all tigers and tiger parts in 1993, but is considering reopening the business based on farm bred, captive animals. But experts in the wildlife trade say that would send a signal that it is acceptable to buy tiger parts which would threaten wild tiger populations. International trade in all tigers and tiger products is banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

The world's tigers are at a record low, numbering at an estimated 5,000 to 7,000, down from more than 100,000 in the 19th century.

On the Coast
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Mostly, Traditional Eastern Medicine is just superstition.

That is one of the most hilarious statements I have ever heard. I thought you had to be joking - I really hope you are.

Anyhoo - TCM is amazing, and way more advanced than Western Medicine could ever hope to be. Acupuncture, Acupressure, Kineaseology, Chi-Kung, could any and all be helpful to you. Also, keep in mind that your Liver, and Diaphragm are both situated to your right side, and skin problems are often associated with issues with the Liver. It is true that there are many animal products used in TCM, but no more so than in Western Medicine. The difference is, OMD's are much more sensitive to emotional and psychological aspects of healing, and will therefore find Vegan alternatives when neccessary for the patient. The real difference between the two disciplines, is that while Western Medicine puts its emphasis on treating individual problems and areas, TCM works towards preventative health through strengthening of all systems and general health. Definately get checked out by an OMD, you will thank yourself in the future.

My primary practitioner is an OMD. 5 years ago, I had a Western Doctor tell me I would be crippled in 2 years if I did'nt stop surfing. So i got a second opinion, that Dr. gave me a similar forecast (2 to 3 years). So my then GF, an OMD in training, introduced me to Chinese Medicine, and here I am 5 years later, still charging 12 foot faces on a shortboard, and I have'nt seen a Western Doc since.

Good Luck, I truly do think an Oriental Medical Doctor will be able to tell you why you are having the problems you are having, as well as help you to alleviate and banish those problems.