PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

tasha
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
How many people?

Depending on the group size, you could make stuffed mushrooms--yummy.

I usually stuff mine with roasted garlic-mashed then mixed in with firm tofu, sauteed chopped red peppers, spinach, choppped up mushroom stems, and a mixture of any spices on hand! Then I pop 'em in the oven for about 20mins at 400.

Easy things to do:

veggie plate

fruit plate

potatoe salad (veganaise)

nachos with salsa

salads (green, bean, rice, etc.)

antipasti --Mushrooms and garlic simmered in wine and herbs.
--Black olives heated in oil with chili powder.
--Roasted bell pepper and garlic mixed with herbs and oil.
All refrigerated for about an hour.

Brushetta with red onions, olives, herbs, balsmatic vinegar and oil (cold or warm)

I could go on ;) I love parties!

tasha
Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM
I forgot to mention my choices for dessert...

Try fruit skewers using big chunks of mango, papaya, kiwi, pinapple, and banana all strung on skewers.

Or, carmalized oranges, pears, apples, etc. (you could skewer these too)

and of course, I always like my good old choc chip cookies ;)

foxytina_69
Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
try the recipe i will post for mexican tofu tacos. theyre FABULOUS and very easy to make. (it also has ingredients you probably have already) my omni boyfriend LOVED them and ate seven! LOL.

Caitlin
Jul 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Happy 4rth of July! Proud to be a Vegetarian American! :D Who else loves to just sit outside and watch the fireworks? :p

My3labs, hope your party turned out great ;)

Mystic
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I am missong out on the party :(

Dammit being so far away down under!

Wildflower
Jul 5th, 2005, 12:34 AM
If I had anything worth sharing, I'd let you in on it!

The others appear to be having more fun then me!

catmogg
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Ok so tonight i am entertaining and the possibilities are endless.... I always see dinner parties as an excellet way to advocate a vegan life style and i like to go all out and do something really exciting. (Yes, i know there's a lot more too it than what we eat but sometimes its a major stumbling block for people who are sympathetic to some of the more fundamental reasons...)

So... menues please...

Tonight, i am serving...

vol u vents with creamy mushroom and peanut filling

raspberry sorbet

Fennel risotto

roquet and watercress salad

chocolate mousse with banana cake tarts

'cheese and biscuits / chocolate mints

so what d'you reckon guys??Agreeable???

Your turn...

LittleNellColumbia
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Yes it did work:) i think it sound delish! id love to host my own lil vegan banquet..... maybe for my 16th? Hope all goes well;)

Kiran
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Tonight, i am serving...

vol u vents with creamy mushroom and peanut filling

raspberry sorbet

Fennel risotto

roquet and watercress salad

chocolate mousse with banana cake tarts

'cheese and biscuits / chocolate mints

Amazing...Sounds delicious.. WoW!!! Yum Yum!!.. Catmogg. How do you get the time to prepare all this?? You are a wonder woman Aye?

DianeVegan
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Tomorrow my step-daughter returns to college so I will be serving:

Chilled Potato Leek Soup with White Truffle Oil

Green Beans Marinated in Strawberry Vinegarette over Greens with Pistachios

Pan-Fried Marinated Seitan Medallions on a Bed of Amaranth and Corn

Swiss Chard Sauteed with Carmelized Shallots

Chocolate Almond Cake with Chocolate Ganache Icing

Fresh Picked Raspberries

I am off now as I need to wake early to pick the raspberries...........

Oh darn, your menu just reminded me that she really likes risotto - better change the amaranth to Corn and Sweet Pea Risotto with Cashew Cream

catmogg
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Wow!! Pm me the recipies, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:) :)

DianeVegan
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Okay, I really need to leave after this post. I was thinking about starting a thread on favorite (American) cookbooks for those who are interested. That is where I get some ideas. I could try scanning the pages in and sending them to you. I am computer illiterate at times. Let me figure out the easiest way to do this. Then I will try posting them. :)

Kiran
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:37 AM
If I don't like my guests .. I put in a lot of spicy potatoes in my recepies. It is sooo filling and easy to cook. Also it gives them a quick stomach upset to an extent that their intestines will hate potatoes for the next few decades!!. These are only for the people I hate and when I am in an obligation to invite them over.. Nice and easy evil plan... Muuu ha hahaaa muhaa :D

FR
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Diane and Cat your dishes looked great!

Kiran
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Diane and Cat your dishes looked great!

What about my spicy potatoes? :D

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
^^If they are only spicy, and otherwise untampered with, I think I would like them quite a bit!

FR
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
What about my spicy potatoes? :D

Trust me, I love those. Indian food is my favorite ethnic cuisine.

puffin
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM
It all sounds lovely to me. I thought i was an ok cook until i read that lot. ummm i think i need to get the cook books out again and start making an effort :rolleyes:

princessemma
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
My daughter's third birthday party is in five weeks time and I haven't been vegan very long what food should I serve? Does anyone have a good cake recipie and how can I decorate it? And what do I do about party bags? Please bear in mind I am not very well off and I am worried this is going to cost a small fortune.

Mr Flibble
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:23 PM
you could try making one of these (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/vegan_kids/hedgehog_cakes.htm), although when we tried it honestly looked completely retarded! Tasted good thou :D

this (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganCakes/lemon_cake.htm) would make a good birthday cake, the recipe works quite well i've found. I'd recomend trying it out first, my parents made me a vegan birthday cake using a recipe from the net and it sucked! I was 20 thou, so I didn't cry and was more happy/appreciative they'd made the effort :)

Lots of crisps and biscuits are vegan, take a look at some manufacturers websites, like United Biscuits (McVities/KP) (http://www.unitedbiscuits.co.uk/80256C1A0047922E/vWeb/pcKEYL5DXFEJ). You could make sausage rolls cheaply/easily with puff pastry and sosmix. Make flapjack perhaps (it's mainly oats)? Is garlic bread adult food only? If not it's pretty cheap to make fresh with some french sticks. If you know how to make bread then perhaps doughballs or pizza?

According to the site above many children like humous and carrot sticks at parties. Personally if i went to a party with humous and carrot sticks aged 5 I'd be pretty naffed off! ;)

bittersweet
Oct 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
My kids adored hummus from a very young age, but you might want to think about crisps/bits of cucumber/breadsticks to dip as well as just carrots.

Sos rolls always go down well, and mine like cheeze and marmite mini-sandwiches.

For my daughter's 5th b.day a couple of weeks ago, I made the Leah Leneman chocolate cake (recipe earlier in this thread), but with 1 and a half times all the ingredients - makes a bigger, moister cake - may need a few mins extra in the oven.

Also sos rolls, the hummus and crudites, sarnies, indian snacks (we have a Muslim supermarket very close, so lots of interesting things), Kettlechips, flapjack, Natural Foods vegan jelly and Swedish Glace.

puffin
Oct 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM
For my daughter's 5th b.day a couple of weeks ago, I made the Leah Leneman chocolate cake (recipe earlier in this thread), but with 1 and a half times all the ingredients - makes a bigger, moister cake - may need a few mins extra in the oven.

I do the add an extra 1/2 ingredients with this cake. It looks more like a cake instead of a large brownie. My kids love it.

Everyone has given some great ideas so the only thing i can think of is hotdogs. www.parsleysoup.co.uk has a great hedgehog cake and other childrens treats.

thecounterspark
Dec 1st, 2005, 02:07 AM
I was planning on making these bars for my sister's birthday party, but I just need to know if maple syrup is an ok substitute for brown rice syrup? or what can i use instead if i cant get any brown rice syrup. i haven't been able to find any in any of our stores around here.

here is the recipe, they are peanut butter rice crispy treat things

1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (sold in natural food stores)
4 cups crispy rice cereal (try Barbara's Brown Rice Crisps, New Morning Crispy Brown Rice Cereal, or Erehwon Crispy Brown Rice)
1. Combine peanut butter and brown rice syrup.
If the mixture seems too stiff to stir, heat it gently in a double boiler.

2. In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter/brown rice syrup with cereal
(you may find it easier to oil your hands lightly and mix with your hands).
Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 8" square cake pan, and with the back of a spatula, press mixture very firmly into the pan. 3. Chill for at least an hour, then cut into 12 bars.
Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

Also, if anyone has ANY ideas for some christmas-y vegan cocktail snacks or something that I could offer up as ideas for my sister's party, i'd be very grateful! :D even if they are not christmas-y.. any ideas would be wonderful! so far all i've been able to think of are veggie and fruit plates with vegan dip, salsa and guacamole with tortilla chips, and then these snack bars. i would prefer suggestions that are easy to prepare and don't include any of the fake-meat stuff and things that will look 'normal' and/or won't put off the omnis that will be there.

i know this is a lot to ask. thanks ahead of time.

peaches22
Dec 1st, 2005, 02:18 AM
How about mini pita rounds with hommus spread on top and a veggie garnish? Ooh, how about fruit kabobs?

speedylemons
Dec 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sure you could substitute the maple syrup for the rice syrup. I've substitute lots of things all the time.. when i'm "cooking" [more like experimenting] but yeah, you should be able to do that. Ive substituted maple syrup for sugar in bread and it worked out fine. same goes for agave nectar.

As for snacks.. fruit and veggie trays are ALWAYS yummy. Fruit kabobs would be so fun!! lol. I think the pita with hummus and various veggie garnishes would be good too... maybe have lots of different kinds.. like cuke on one and tomato on another and avocado or something etc etc. Just in case there are omnis who "don't care" for certain veggies. You could get a little more exotic or creative and make some mini stuffed portabella or regular mushrooms.. just make up a random filling [maybe something "creamy" and then stuff the mushrooms..] taking the stems off and laying them on the caps then for display. I've done this before. they're fun to make AND eat. :D

I'm in the same boat as you as i am in search of a few vegan dishes to bring to my mums house for christmas day. My younger sisters are slightly picky so i dont plan to bring anything totally crazy, but im thinking these things will probably do well:

Pumpkin raisin bars [i concocted these myself.. yum. they'll be good with a little frosting of some sort]

veggie tray/stuffed mushrooms/pita and hummus things.. hell i may do a sampler plate. that'd be fun.

somethign fruity.. maybe a fruit salad with lots of fun fruits or something. or maybe i'll make fruit kabobs!!!!!! ooo fun! :D :D :D