PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Ruby Rose
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm catering a fund-raising dinner later in the week (nowhere near 100 people though!), and I figured if I picked a cuisine which has plenty of vegan-friendly dishes so I'm not faking stuff, the omnis are going to be less likely to be hostile. So I'm doing the following to be able to do as much in advance as possible:

tabbouleh
spicy cous cous
hummus
baba ganoush
pita bread
lemony lentils
green beans (steamed in microwave)
green salad

cupcakes for dessert
turkish apple tea

RubyDuby
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
it would be fun to do different themed tables.

maybe 1 with a whole mediterranean spread with pita bread, hummus, baba ghanough, stuffed grape leaves, lettuce salad, falafels, tabouleh, olives

another with foods like refried beans, salsa, tortilla chips, warm tortillas, black beans, gazpacho, guacamole, rice, stuffed chiles etc

and maybe another with things like stuffed shells with tofu ricotta, pasta with several sauce choices like marinara or oil and garlic, garlic bread, sauteed vegetables, minestrone etc.

good luck! sounds like fun. :)

Mr Flibble
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
You missed the most obvious thing: Sausage rolls. Easy to make, or in the UK chop up linda mccartney ones (I believe currently vegan, thou haven't checked in a while).

sugarmouse
Aug 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Samosas too...roast/spiced chickpeas, mini wraps..pasta or couscous salads...vegan burgers/sausages and rolls...Good luck!Have fun:D..

RachelJune
Aug 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
You missed the most obvious thing: Sausage rolls. Easy to make, or in the UK chop up linda mccartney ones (I believe currently vegan, thou haven't checked in a while).

Mmmmm, I'll second that recommendation. The Linda McCartney ones are still vegan (we have some in our freezer now!) and great for parties :)

Roxy
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:12 AM
it would be fun to do different themed tables.

maybe 1 with a whole mediterranean spread with pita bread, hummus, baba ghanough, stuffed grape leaves, lettuce salad, falafels, tabouleh, olives

another with foods like refried beans, salsa, tortilla chips, warm tortillas, black beans, gazpacho, guacamole, rice, stuffed chiles etc

and maybe another with things like stuffed shells with tofu ricotta, pasta with several sauce choices like marinara or oil and garlic, garlic bread, sauteed vegetables, minestrone etc.

good luck! sounds like fun. :)

That sounds great! What about an Asian themed table with spring rolls (can be made ahead, frozen and then heated in the oven), summer rolls (vietnamese style fresh spring rolls) with peanut dipping sauce, sushi, salt & pepper tofu etc...

Qaxt
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
That sounds really great, everyone, thanks!

It's a graduation party, btw.

Windfall
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
What are all you lovely vegans eating for new year's?
I need some inspiration!

Was thinking about either portabellos wellington or baked tofu, but I need more ideas - would you post your menues, please! :D

BlackCats
Dec 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
When are you having it Windfall, New Year's Eve or New Year's day?:)

I am copying Ruby Rose's idea of having lots of starter/ snack type foods instead of a meal on New Year's Eve. I'm probably not doing much foodwise on New Year's Day itself as my husband is going out to a club during the day.

We are having:

Mini bruschetta
Mini garlic breads
Dough balls
Sausage rolls
Mushroom puff pastry thing
Chips or potato wedges
Mini spring rolls
Crackers
Olives
Celery and carrot sticks
Dips: Houmous, sweet chilli sauce, salsa, plamil mayo and probably tomato ketchup.:D

Also champagne with fruit juice

I meant to buy a few more things to eat but looking at that list we probably have enough food.:p

cedarblue
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
we're having a thai green curry

cobweb
Dec 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM
i haven't given it a thought!
i don't think we normally do anything differently, how boring is that?

fresquinho
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm having the best NYE meal.. Since I cba to cook fancy stuff I'm having frozen vegetables (hopefully not frozen anymore). And, of course, loads of booze. :D Best part is that this year I've found someone willing to share a vegan meal with me. :)

Enchantress
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'll be having beer for mine, I might have a bit off food on the side too.

sandra
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'll be having beer for mine, I might have a bit off food on the side too.

I hope the food isn't too 'off' Enchantress, you might get ill! ;):)

SnowyWhite
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Not having a meal, but having nibbles and drinkies at my flat before going out :D Nibbles will just be nuts and crisps with some dips... nothing fancy! Everyone will be more interested in the booze anyway!!

Actually really excited about it - I'm not usually that bothered about New Years Eve!

genisis
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
hi everyone:D im having a dinner party next week for six people and am needing some ideas,anyone got any suggestions/recipes.im doing starter,main and dessert.please all help much appreciated as at mo ive seemed to gone totally blank on what to do!!:o thanx

Pob
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Chinese is always a good one.

Spring rolls.

Crispy mock duck pancakes (with spring onions, cucumber, sweet chilli sauce).

Courgettes and veg in black bean sauce.

Deep fried tofu and veg in sweet and sour sauce.

Wholemeal noodles.

Fruit crumble or lemon tart for pud.

VeganMonkey
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I'd do a soup (probably tomato), followed by nut roast and loads of seasonal veggies, then sticky toffe pudding. Or I'd start with mezze (hummus, stuffed vine leaves, a bean dish and pitta), a tagine and then a chocolate torte. In reality I don't think I could manage to make 3 courses without getting into a complete fizz! Best of luck - sure they'll love it, whatever you choose. Are they non-vegans?

harpy
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
If you don't do this very often I would try and choose things that can be prepared beforehand as far as poss. Soup is good from that viewpoint as it may actually improve with reheating.

I might do some kind of pie as a main course - not very healthy but it tends to impress people and you can prepare it beforehand and just bake it when they arrive. Rose Elliot's chestnut and mushroom pate en croute is quite easy http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/dec/17/features.weekend4 I know it's not Christmas but never mind!

I'm a dunce when it comes to puddings. Stewed, spiced dried fruit with vegan custard or ice cream is not too hard though.

Marrers
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Are you a good cook and do you enjoy cooking? Are you wanting a complicated or easy meal?

I agree with soup, a savoury pie with veggies and chocolate torte (because that is what I usually do, though I use a hot water pastry and make it in a spring form cake tin). As harpy says a lot can be done in advance.

genisis
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'd do a soup (probably tomato), followed by nut roast and loads of seasonal veggies, then sticky toffe pudding. Or I'd start with mezze (hummus, stuffed vine leaves, a bean dish and pitta), a tagine and then a chocolate torte. In reality I don't think I could manage to make 3 courses without getting into a complete fizz! Best of luck - sure they'll love it, whatever you choose. Are they non-vegans?
two are vegetarians and have been for 22years,one is 'semi' vegetarian and one is an omni,oh and of course my hubby who will eat whatever i give him:bigsmile:

genisis
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Are you a good cook and do you enjoy cooking? Are you wanting a complicated or easy meal?

i like to think im a good cook:umm:but i certainlu do enjoy cooking.complicated or easy meal?? not really bothered either way just want everyone to enjoy it and see that vegan dont just live on nuts and seeds!!!:lol::lol:

Marrers
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Ah well I'm no use - only good at easy meals! :o I too like to prove vegan food doesn't involve deprivation so if I was able to do complicated I would, because it would be more impressive.

harpy
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM
People are quite easily impressed though - pastry helps :rolleyes: And a chocolate-y dessert might be good because people tend to assume vegans "can't" have chocolate :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can't think of an impressive starter off-hand - a fancy soup might still be good, maybe vichyssoise (sp.?) or something.

Poison Ivy
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe have a look on Cherrys website Parsley Soup (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/), everything is divided into categories eg, soups, starters, salads, main courses, desserts, cakes etc. I'm sure it could give you a few ideas!:)