PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued luna flavors!

LyricSarah
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Okay...so obsessed with luna bars..sooo yummy. I've had a hard time lately trying to find the sesame raisin flavor...so I checked the website and they discontinued it!:(...that and the Peanut butter and jelly and the tropical crisp. The PB&J, sesame raisin, and toasted nuts and cranberry are my favorite because they aren't coated. Just thought I would share :D

Artichoke47
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
What a bummer. I'm not happy about Luna making those nonvegan bars, I think Glow or something like that. I guess all of the Luna and Clif ones are still vegan, but some of the newer ones under a different name but still the Luna/Clif brand are lacto-ovo.

tails4wagging
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Whats Luna bars, dont think we have them here in the UK??

LyricSarah
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:19 AM
check out www.lunabar.com they are vegan meal bars for women made by clifbar....but that doesnt mean men cant eat them ;) theyre good for the soul...very tasty :D ...one of my old voice teachers...this crazy spanish guy, used to eat them all the time

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:22 AM
While Luna Bars are very nice, why don't you try some Lara Bars? They are a little bit more expensive but have some very VERY delicious flavours too!

LyricSarah
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:32 AM
yes, lara bars are also really yummy...more calories, but less processed...my sister buys them all the time..I esspecially like cashew cookie...I also really like these bars- http://www.organicfoodbar.com/read.htm the almond flax bar is my favorite...most of these are vegan.

I eat way too many bars :D

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Hmmmm - I've never seen those before. I will have a look at Wholefoods when I am there next.

p.s. my favourite lara bar is the chocolate coconut one :)

soilman
Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
They are very expensive cookies.

I make my own cookies and freeze them. They only take 10 min to bake and 5 minutes to stir up the batter. With silicone-coated alum foil on my cookie pan, cleanup takes just about no time.

If you want 100% of some of your vitamins in your cookie, like you get in a luna bar, just dissolve the right number of vitamin pills into your batter, or take a vitamin pill with your cookie.

A "bar for women" is just a silly marketing ploy. If an "all purpose bar" has 200 mg of calcium, you put 250 mg of calcium in some other bar, and a little extra iron, soy products, etcetera, and call it a woman's bar. I find this marketing ploy to be insulting to my intelligence.

By the way calcium carbonate will not be degraded by the heat of baking. You can crush a calcium carbonate pill, which costs about a penny, and add it to your batter. If I make my cookie with soymilk instead of water -- voila, a soy isoflavinoid cookie for women. You can make your cookie high-protein this way too -- use soymilk or soy flour, add some chopped nuts, and some (high-protein) gluten flour.

You can also use rice syrup instead of sugar. Or maple syrup. Or whole cane syrup such as Grandma's Molasses or Steen's Cane Syrup or anything described as "light molasses." You can go one-better than Cliff because they use evaporated cane juice in addition to rice syrup, and evap cane juice is NOT substantially higher in micronutrients than white sugar. It is sugar that has gone thru a primary refining process to remove most of the molasses, but has simply not had secondary filtration done, to remove every last drop of color and molasses flavor. Most "evaporated cane juice" is quite refined, has most micronutrients removed; light molasses, on the other hand, has virtually all the micronutrients available in sugar cane, and is simply cane juice, sqeezed from sugar cane, that has had water removed, and has been clarified -- one way to clarify is simply to let bigger particles of cane fiber to settle to the bottom. It really isn't necessary but clear syrup must be more marketable than cloudy syrup.

You can tell how refined sugar is by tasting it. If crystals or powder or thick syrup or thick syrup you make from the crystals or powder, has less of a molasses flavor than light molasses, it has been refined.

soilman
Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Indeed, the ingredient in the "organic food bars" sound very intriguing. Cold processed, sprouted grains -- that is more than just a cookie.

that organic almond bar looks much more natural, and more nutritious, than a Luna bar or any cliff bar.

Organic Almond Butter, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Flax Seed Sprouts, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Date Paste,
Organic Raisins, Organic Sesame Seeds.

All the sweeteners are from whole dried fruit or agave nectar. I think the oils in almonds and flax seeds is a good combo, and are low or nearly zero in saturated fats -- unlike the palm kernal oil in Luna bars, which is high in saturated fats. One Luna bar has about a 1/3 of your saturated fat allowance!!! Plus that Omega 6 or Omega 3 or whatever the oil is that is found in flax seeds, and that is something vegans need to make sure they get enough of.

LyricSarah
Feb 7th, 2005, 04:54 AM
I just checked the luna site www.lunabar.com ...they have changed all their luna bars...they have less sugar, more fiber....they are still say that they use source ingredients that do not contain wheat dairy or gmo's...but now they also say...may contain traces of nuts, peanuts or dairy...why do the new ones have this warning and the old ones do not????? grrrrrrrrrrr I love luna bars! I dont want to stop eating them :(

soilman
Feb 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM
"traces of nuts, dairy" is said to warn people who are extremely allergic to nuts and dairy. The usual reason they may have traces is they are made on the same machinery on which similar bars, with another company's label, are made. The machinery is not thoroughly washed in between batches. The other company's bar may or may not have nuts or dairy. If lots of batches are made, of the bar you are buying, the early batches of the bar are likely to have higher levels of dairy or nuts than later batches.

this warning suggests that Cliff does not have their own machinery and is a food engineering and marketing company, rather than a food manufacturing company.

soilman
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Frankly, I think $1.50 is an outrageous price for a little 48 gram bar made out of rice, oats, soy flour, and soy protein isolate (cheap by-product of soybean oil processing).

feline01
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I picked up a Luna and Cliff bar at Trader Joe's the other day and looked at that very long list of ingredients and put it back down again. My philosophy is that if it takes much effort to read the ingredients, I don't want to eat it.

MzNatural
Feb 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I picked up a Luna and Cliff bar at Trader Joe's the other day and looked at that very long list of ingredients and put it back down again. My philosophy is that if it takes much effort to read the ingredients, I don't want to eat it.

That's a very smart philosophy! :p

assilembob
Feb 8th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I never pay $1.50 for them...sometimes I get them at HEB or Target. They are .99 to $1.18 depending on if they are on sale and sometimes cheaper. They are nice for "emergency" food situations or when I know I will not have time to eat. I can't get lara bars around here except at the health food store and they are $2.50 a bar. THAT is way too steep...and I refuse to purchase things online anymore. Been burned way too many times now.

~Mel

snivelingchild
Apr 15th, 2005, 04:30 AM
A "bar for women" is just a silly marketing ploy. If an "all purpose bar" has 200 mg of calcium, you put 250 mg of calcium in some other bar, and a little extra iron, soy products, etcetera, and call it a woman's bar. I find this marketing ploy to be insulting to my intelligence.

I agree, though I just recently fell in love with luna bars (I discovered them last week) and I am the most anti-gender role person you'll meet, but I like these so much when I found my boyfriend reaching for one, I yelled "They're for women! See? Says so right on the box!" :D Kidding of course, but this little silly reason makes him see how much I love them so he leaves them to me. :p

Anyway, I keep boxes of them in my fridge and keep one in my purse at all times for those instances where I'm caught running errands far from home and don't feel like searching around for a vegan snack, which around here could take forever. I mostly use them for that, or if I' at home working for a long while on something, like yard work or sewing, and I don't feel like making something, I'll eat one. They are very good for the time being, since they sell them everywhere here, even in Walmart. Once the Whole Foods opens here, I might find something better.

snivelingchild
Apr 15th, 2005, 04:34 AM

I do that too, with the exception of these bars since they are just too darn convenient (when you tend to be driving all around town to run errands like I do). I'll pick up something with a few buzz words like "healthy" "smart choice" or "natural" on it, and check them out to see if it's true. I usually see the Gettysburg address, go :eek: , then put it back.

The "natural" one cracks me up all the time, because they'll put that on ANYTHING!

effulgent
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I like Clif bars more than Luna bars. They fill me up more, and they aren't as sugary sweet as Luna bars (except for maybe the Chocolate Brownie bar). The faux yogurt coating is just too sweet, especially the "caramel" flavored one.

I like the denseness of the Clif bars, too. The Luna bars are too "airy" for me, for lack of a better word. They're great for when I'm at work and it's 3p and my terribly healthy vegetable and rice and a fruit and water lunch is long gone and I'm starving and I still have 2 hours before I can leave work.

All that being said, to me they are worth $0.99. Before I went vegan, I didn't give a second thought to buying a $0.70 candy bar and a $0.55 Coke at 3p to kill that afternoon blood sugar crash after having lunch at McDonald's. Now I have a Carrot Cake Clif bar and some bottled Ozarka water, and I feel much better at 5p than I did before.

cinchybell
May 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I think most Odwalla bars are vegan also...and they just came out with smaller bars that you can buy in a box instead of the big ones....the big ones I find are just too big...

thecatspajamas1
Oct 14th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I discovered Luna bars recently too!!

I looove the key lime pie flavor the best. Chai tea flavor is good too.

They're great because I'm a college student who lives on campus and the required meal plan is not very vegan friendly or healthy for that matter
(Sodexho). So I eat Luna and Clif bars for bfast and lunch, and then either go to the cafeteria or make cous cous with nuts for dinner in my microwave.

Today I tried the cookies n cream flavor for the first time. It was good, but key lime pie is still the bestttttt.