PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Chocolate / Snack bars

Pages : [1] 2

Simon
Oct 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any snack type bars that happen to be vegan rather than the expensive health food store type ones.

One's I know of:
Asda - Choc chip cereal bars (value range)
Sainsburys - Oat and raisin cereal bar (value range)
9 Bar (nutty variety only, others contain honey)
Doves farm cereal bars and flapjack bars
Lidl nut cereal bars
Frys chocolate cream bar
Tesco finest dark choc cereal bars

kuro
Oct 8th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Tesco do a chocolate and orange flavoured cereal bar, in their 'Light Choices' range, which is vegan.

Ms_Derious
Oct 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Nakd by Natural Balance Foods

They are all about 49p each if you buy them loose (for a small bar) but you can get multipacks which are cheaper.

RossClement
Oct 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Some, but not all, of the Devon Value crumbles are marked vegan on the back.

http://www.devonvale.com/crumbles.php

I would hazard a guess that they are less healthy for you than many of the other products listed in this thread. They are very sweet.

Thanks for starting this thread Simon. I wasn't aware of most of the products you mention, so I have benefitted from your question more than you benefit from my answer!

mchelle81
Oct 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM
omg im so glad i looked at this i didnt know the sainsburys ones were vegan my mom always has them and only saw it say vegeatarian so i didnt bother looking, got some today they taste nice and they cheap to

BlackCats
Oct 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks. That's helpful info.:)

refinnej
Oct 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Simon, are the Sainsbury bars in your area labeled as vegan?

ETA: I was at Sainsburys today, and saw them labeled as vegetarian, and containing Vitamin D as the only questionable ingredient.

Blue moon
Oct 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Also Ritter Sport marzipan, and the peppermint variety. Not sold in many shops, but often in obscure petrol stations.

sparklingsights
Oct 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
^ We have Ritter Sport Marzipan bars here in Canada, luckily they carry it in one of our major drugstore-type shops so I can usually get my hands on it. I love them!

refinnej
Oct 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Ritter Sport peppermint here is not vegan any longer, as it has butterfat. I actually looked at one just yesterday, but bought the marzipan instead. You can see a discussion about it on another message board too: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=25319.0

On the plus like, I like that the labels for Ritter Sport are marked, so that you can recycle them.

Daffodil
Oct 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please? I can't find it in any shops around here...they used to sell it in Tesco about a year or so back but they stopped *sob*

Ms_Derious
Oct 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please? I can't find it in any shops around here...they used to sell it in Tesco about a year or so back but they stopped *sob*

They still sell it in some tesco I've been into, not all, but some. If you want, I'll happily keep my eyes open and post some across to you if I find any :)

Daffodil
Oct 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
They still sell it in some tesco I've been into, not all, but some. If you want, I'll happily keep my eyes open and post some across to you if I find any :)

That is a very kind offer, thank you very much :-) But now I know that Tesco has not stopped selling it, just my branch then I will check out the Tesco in the next town :D

sparklingsights
Oct 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please?

Vegan Essentials has them (http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/ritter-sport-marzipan-bar.htm)... I think they're located in the USA though so I'm not sure if shipping them to you would be cost effective. I know I never order from the UK because shipping to NA is usually ridiculous... I imagine it's the same the other way around?

Enchantress
Oct 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
A bit of Googling produced this result:
http://www.confectionaffection.net/ritter-sport-marzipan-100g-213-p.asp

There were a few other places that sold it, but they all appeared to be out of stock.

Mr Flibble
Oct 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
That's a really bad price. Tesco IIRC sell it for about 1.

A couple of years back they had them on 2 for 1. Needless to say I bought quite a few :)

Enchantress
Oct 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Yes, there were other online stores that had it listed for a cheaper price, but they were all out of stock. aquarterof.co.uk say they're having "an absolute nightmare" getting hold of it at the moment.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/ritter-sport-marzipan-p-1055.html

Simon
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Some, but not all, of the Devon Value crumbles are marked vegan on the back.

http://www.devonvale.com/crumbles.php

I would hazard a guess that they are less healthy for you than many of the other products listed in this thread. They are very sweet.

Thanks for starting this thread Simon. I wasn't aware of most of the products you mention, so I have benefitted from your question more than you benefit from my answer!

They look nice. Will have to keep an eye out for them. Morrisons do their own apricot crumbles in the bakery section and they are quite nice. Wonder if they are similar.

Simon
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Waitrose tend to stock the marzipan and peppermint variety. You can shop online with them to get it delivered.

Simon
Sep 12th, 2010, 12:04 AM
9 Bar (nutty variety only, others contain honey)

Hope no one buys these as after noticing the ingredients on the new packaging for the nutty flavour now list honey I took a look on their website to see if the recipe had changed or if it was a misprint. The ingredients on the website still listed it as not having honey so I emailed them to check. The guy emailed back saying he was sorry it was a misprint on the website and should have listed honey and that the bars have always contained it! I was seriously annoyed. The packaging had listed only vegan ingredients for a good 2 years or more!!

megrainbows
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I could kick myself, I saw the marzipan bar in Tesco yesterday and went to look at it as I'm addicted to marzipan, but I figured it wouldn't be vegan so I just grabbed my normal chocolate and left! Arggh! Next time I go in, I'll buy a few :)

mansi
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It's worth looking for the marzipan one at off licenses, surprisingly many of them stocking it.
Last time (august) I bought them at WH Smith (2 for 1!).

Daffodil
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM

My Tesco are now selling it again yippee!!!!

gmc
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
It's cheaper and just as tasty to buy a block of marzipan from the cake decorating section of the supermarket, cut it up into squares, then melt your favourite choccy in the microwave and drizzle it over the marzipan............not that I'm one for leading you astray or anything...................:)

sandra
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm intrigued by the Tesco finest dark chocolate cereal bar...............I'll look out for it tomorrow when I'm there. I hope they still sell it after all this time.............you know what it's like.........one week it's there and the next it isn't! :)