PDA

View Full Version : Warm Lentil Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:28 AM
This recipe comes from the book "Modern Vegetarian Kitchen" by chef Peter Berley. I made it for the first time last week and thought it was sooooo yummy! It's quite an easy recipe too.

6-8 dry-pack sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup green lentils, sorted and rinsed
Coarse sea salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1/2 celery rib, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon or 3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
freshly milled black pepper
chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish

1. In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes with water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add the lentils and boil, uncovered for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and continue to boil for 10-15 minuts, until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Drain, transfer the lentils to a mixing bowl, and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the oil.

3. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir the vegetables into the lentils.

4. Drain the tomatoes, slice them into quarters, and add them to the lentil mixture.

5. Season the salad with lemon juice or vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with chopped parley. Serve.

Mystic
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Mmmm sounds delicious Roxy :p

assilembob
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM
I am trying that tomorrow night!!

~Mel

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:19 AM
You can eat it by itself, or have it as a side-dish. I lightly fried a couple of tempeh patties and had that with it. There was more than enough for 2 people, plus some leftovers :)

Gorilla
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks Roxy! i will have to try that soon :)

Gorilla
Apr 15th, 2005, 08:48 PM
i have a lentil salad recipe and i thought i'd add it on to this thread as it's kind of similar to Roxy's. it's adapted from a Delia Smith recipe of all things ;)

Green Lentil & Walnut Salad

Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter

For the salad:
40g (1 1/2 oz) walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion
1 fat clove garlic
1 heaped teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1x 400g tin cooked green lentils
50g (2 oz) rocket leaves

For the dressing:
1 fat clove garlic
1 rounded teaspoon powdered mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons walnut oil (or i used hemp oil)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Chop the onion and crush the garlic. Cook them in the oil for about 5 minutes until they're soft, and add the chopped walnuts to lightly toast them.

Drain the lentils and chop the thyme. Toss them in a large bowl with the onions, garlic and walnuts.

For the dressing, crush the garlic and mix with the mustard, balsamic vinegar and oils. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing into the bowl with the lentils and mix together well. Serve with the rocket leaves.

i ate mine with herby vegan sausages. :D

sophia
Apr 15th, 2005, 09:46 PM
wow , i'm feelin hungry again!!
Just thought I would mention what I had for tea! chickpea and tofu curry, so quick and easy yet delicious. Anyone want the recipe let me know!!! lol xxx ;)

eve
Apr 16th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Love sundried tomatoes - don't need remainder of the recipe! :D

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2005, 10:55 PM
bump, because this recipe looks so yummy and i think everyone has the right to see it :D :p

Roxy
Nov 9th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Thanks Foxy! I forgot I had that cookbook! I should pull it out again :D

foxytina_69
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
bump, i forgot i had a big jar of sundried tomatoes so i think ill try this soon.

foxytina_69
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
yum i just made this so i can have it the rest of the week. (its so high in protein!)

this is absolutely delish! its high in tons of nutrients. vitamin a, vitamin c, iron (works great with the vitamin c) and lots of other stuff. and ofcourse high in protein and fiber. what a great easy dish to eat on a regular basis!

i also added a tbs of nutritional yeast, used a white onion instead of a red, and garlic powder instead of raw garlic. and used a vinegar based salad dressing instead of vinegar.

i cant wait to have this for lunch tommorow! thanks so much roxy! nowi have another easy way to get protein.

Tigerlily
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'll be making this soon. :)

Roxy
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I should too. I haven't made it for ages!