PDA

View Full Version : Scary shopping carts....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LyricSarah
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Yesterday I went to the grocery store just to buy some paper towels and bottled water and noticed this mother and her three children...and their HUGE cart filled with CRAP. I mean....snack cakes, tons of white bread, candy, sugary cereal, kraft mac and cheese, strawberry milk, scary frozen meals...and tons of other unnecessary food.......I felt so sad...i mean....so many americans complain that they cant eat healthy because they cant afford it..HELLO!!!! fresh produce costs way less than all that proccessed stuff....amaericans are so incredibly dissilussioned about what food is "normal"...when many americans think of peanut butter...they think of jif and skippy....but natural peanut butter is "WEIRD".....white pasta and white bread is "comfort food"....I hate it when people get freaked out about food in its natural state...like it shoud be...people started getting sick and fat as soon as artificial perservatives, food colorings, high fructose corn syrup, hydrginated oils, and the like became intriduced into our diets..... :( I dont mean to sound garsh...its just that children are so impressionable....you know?

Mystic
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I work in a big chain supermarket and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about - people buy the scariest 'food' - stuff that shouldn't even be classified as food! But I have to disagree with you on the cost issue - For my boyfriend and I, I buy mainly fresh produce - including fruit, veg, nuts, dried fruit and herbs, wholemeal bread, brown rice, barley, lentils, split peas, dried limas and mung beans, olive oil, flaxseed oil, tahini, mineral water and the odd can of baked beans and ketchup or frozen berries - and my food bill is HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!!!! I used to eat only convenience foods, like veggie burgers, mexican beans etc... and it was waaaaaaaaaay cheaper

eve
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:23 AM
I think we are better off ignoring what other people are buying, and simply keep our eyes on our own shopping trolley.

tails4wagging
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Yes, I notice that all the time. Junk food. My neighbours idea of a birthday meal for their kids is macdonalds!!!.

I don't know what anyone else feels about it but I cringe when I see raw meat oozing on the conveyer belt and the assistant just wipes it down with a dry cloth and my food is following on. Yuk!!!

blue
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I agrree, where I live, fresh veggies, and the Vegan lifestyle way more expensive. Plus, my entire family is not Vegan, so we shop both ways! So, my food bill is enormous!

I hate the meat drippings on the belt! Yuck!

P.S. I don't even purchase the meat for my husband and son anymore. Am I a terrible MOM? I make my husband do their shopping! My son tells my mother that I'm starving him. But, there is plenty of healty food in the house. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat that. ( He's 15)

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Good for you, Blue!

blue
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM
My family thinks I'm horrible! I'm starving a growing boy!!!

blue
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM
P.S. Let's not forget ......... He get's his fill of junk food at school. I give him $50. for two weeks lunch money. They have their choice of all kinds of fast food type of junk! It's disgusting, it's why our children are overweight!

feline01
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Good decision blue. Your son is old enough to make his own unhealthy/cruel choices. You shouldn't have to buy the murdered animals for him. Have you tried showing him any of those informational videos like www.meetyourmeat.com or www.themeatrix.com ?

I'm sitting here at work now eating a big bowl of salad because I'm starving while everyone else is chowing down on donuts. And they're loooking at me like I'm weird. I am weird but not because I eat salad :D .

Cat
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I am always noticing what other people are eating and constantly trying to stop myself from telling them how awful their food is. My work collegues have all gone on a diet for new year and they seem to think that weight watchers microwave meals are healthy!

John
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I don't know what anyone else feels about it but I cringe when I see raw meat oozing on the conveyer belt and the assistant just wipes it down with a dry cloth and my food is following on. Yuk!!!

I HATE THAT!

blue
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Thank you Feline. No, I haven't seen those videos myself. I really need to get them. I did bombard myself with pictures on the internet, and it was enough.

Michelle
Jan 15th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I agrree, where I live, fresh veggies, and the Vegan lifestyle way more expensive. Plus, my entire family is not Vegan, so we shop both ways! So, my food bill is enormous!

I hate the meat drippings on the belt! Yuck!

P.S. I don't even purchase the meat for my husband and son anymore. Am I a terrible MOM? I make my husband do their shopping! My son tells my mother that I'm starving him. But, there is plenty of healty food in the house. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat that. ( He's 15)

Blue,

I was curious if you were vegan when your son was young. I was vegetarian when my daughter was born and I insisted that she be vegetarian as well. Now that I am vegan, she remains vegetarian as a medium between myself and my omnivorous husband. One of my biggest fears is that she will choose to eat meat with her dad eventually, even though I plan to have her well-educated about the source of the "food". I am realy looking to find someone that has gone through this and to find out how they handled the situation.

Thanks for reading :)

Michelle
Jan 15th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Good decision blue. Your son is old enough to make his own unhealthy/cruel choices. You shouldn't have to buy the murdered animals for him. Have you tried showing him any of those informational videos like www.meetyourmeat.com or www.themeatrix.com ?

I'm sitting here at work now eating a big bowl of salad because I'm starving while everyone else is chowing down on donuts. And they're loooking at me like I'm weird. I am weird but not because I eat salad :D .

Feline,

the video Meet Your Meat was THE turning point in my transformation from vegetarian to vegan. I would recommend it to everyone that is thinking of being veggie or vegan. And, if necessary, I will definitely be showing it to my daughter when I feel she is ready. My husband says that I will give her a biased viewpoint on vegetarianism. My response... "You're d*mn*d right."

Anyway, my co-workers think I am weird, too. Today, one of them made a comment about salad. "Oh yeah, you don't eat REAL salad. You probably eat fake salad." This was in reference to the "fake" food that I eat like meatless meatloaf or whatever. I didn't even know how to reply to such an ignorant statement.

Okay...I'm off to check out the meatrix video... :( I've never seen it, and I don't really need to, I'm sure, but I like to know what's out there in case I need to refer someone. Thanks.

Michelle
Jan 15th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Well, I didn't like that website so much, because it directs you to alternatives to factory meat...however, eating family-farm meat would be better than factory-farm meat, I suppose. I just hate the idea of eating ANY of it.

feline01
Jan 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Well, I didn't like that website so much, because it directs you to alternatives to factory meat...however, eating family-farm meat would be better than factory-farm meat, I suppose. I just hate the idea of eating ANY of it.

The good thing about the Meatrix is that it just tickles the minds of die-hard carnivores, especially young ones who liked The Matrix. It's rare for someone to go straight from dead animal to vegan (though I know one case where that happened, they watched Peaceable Kingdom [www.tribeofheart.org ). The Meatrix might just plant that seed (vegan of course) of doubt about their dead animal ways.

webster
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM
One of my biggest fears is that she will choose to eat meat with her dad eventually

I have tried to be more open minded with mine. I think that if you present it like that then mom is 'right' and dad is 'wrong' and she has to choose sides. I have raised mine 'both': sometimes they eat dad's meals, sometimes they eat mine. We haven't gotten too into the issues behind the food yet (they are 4 and 2), but I am ready with simple honest answers (yes, beef comes from the cows you see in fields, etc) when they do eventually ask them. And they can make their own choice. Yes, I do kind of hope that they will sway to my side of things, but if they don't I am okay with that too - it is their choice. For me to impose any more than that would be for me to say that their dad is 'wrong', and that is not a position I can put them in (or myself for that matter).

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:47 PM
That must be so hard! I have never fed my child meat, to me animals are not food, so it would definitley be wrong. Fortunately, my husband doesn't eat meat either, as I can see it might cause problems. :eek:
I'm afraid, if he did, I would still have to tell my son his dad is wrong!!! :p

John
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I think that someone on this forum said that some sites edit Meatrix. They take out the vegetarian message and leave it as a pro-small farm/anti-agribusiness movie.

ducky
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Meals going to be so weird when my husband and I have kids. He is a EXTREMELY picky eater, and would be perfectly happy eating chicken fingers and fries every day. He's getting better, but progress is just so slow (eg. progress=getting him to eat a plate of plain lettuce with his meals). Sigh. So even for purely health reasons, I will not want the kid's eating dad's meals. Oh well, maybe there will be progress between then and now.
Our shopping carts are quite funny; lots of produce, soy milk, tofu, whole grains etc right next to the boxes of chicken fingers and fries.

Mystic
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Ducky just be patient - it has taken my bf a year and a half of living with me to hate white bread, white rice and only eat meat MAYBE twice a week if that. He loves healthy food now, and I am even getting him to eat 2 pieces of raw fruit a day. He snacks on peanuts, sultanas, almonds, dried apricots and banana chips. He used to snack on crisps and cheese sandwiches. Oh and he loves salad now too - we eat it every day.

blue
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Michelle, I went STRAIT from being a meat eater to being a Vegan. I am now repulsed by meat. The only fake meat that I endure is the Vegan Boca Crumbles I use in soup or something like that. I'll tell you what's funny about that, I never liked ground beef.

Anyway, my daughter, just went with it, she's nine, she just doesn't like meat. Cheese on the other hand is a problem, for the both of us!

As you've read, my Son thinks I'm starving him!

P.S. I'm a fairly new Vegan, and am learning every single day!

Michelle
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Well, I guess all I can do is just let her know where the meat comes from when it's time. She really loves animals, so I hope that's enough to do it. So far, the only problem I've had is her wanting a bite of my husband's food one night when he grilled himself a steak. It was easy to distract her with an ear of corn, though :P

Thanks all :)

Lord Perennialist
Jul 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Whenever I go grocery shopping, I'm appalled with the shear amount of junk food people eat. They'll have carts full of processed bologna, mayonnaise, white bread, soda, candy, doritos, lays and every other unimaginable combination of unhealthy, fatty, artery clogging food. And the vast amounts of meat they buy!! It's disgusting. People just don't know how to treat their bodies right any more.

Honest_Goodbye
Jul 14th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I notice this well... i try not to look, but it always digusts me seeing what other people are buying lol.