PDA

View Full Version : Damp tofu!

fooldramaqueen
Oct 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Not too long ago, I saw a blog post (http://vegandinners.blogspot.com/2009/09/tofuxpress.html) about the TofuXpress, a pretty exciting looking device, not unlike a cheese press, for squeezing the moisture out of tofu and for marinading. It seems to be only available in the US.

Currently, when I use tofu I have an elaborate system involving kitchen roll, dinner plates and the heaviest books on my bookshelves.

I wondered if anyone know of a similar product available in the UK, or alternatively has any top tips for easily removing the moisture from tofu?

I can see myself ordering from the US in time, since the above mentioned procedure is a bit of a chore for someone as lazy as me, but I thought I would ask for advice first :)

Mr Flibble
Oct 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
buy firm tofu (such as cauldron, clear spot, taifun etc), take it out the pack, wash under running cold water, wrap in kitchen roll and squeeze over the sink with your hands; hard enough to remove water, not too hard to crumble it.

Whole process takea about 30 seconds and gives the same effect as fannying about with plates and piles of books.

fooldramaqueen
Oct 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks, I guess I must have a weak grip because I find some moisture still remains - I think I was probably seduced by the image on the blog post showing all the water that was in the tofu originally..... I'm a sucker for a gadget!

pusskins
Oct 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm getting me one of these! Thank you for posting about it :D

fooldramaqueen
Oct 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm getting me one of these! Thank you for posting about it :D

No problem! You'll have to report on the whole process once it's arrived, and let us know if it's worth ordering from the UK :o

fondducoeur
Oct 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I like the looks of this thing, too, but am concerned about the amount of time to squeeze the tofu. The video on the website mentions 1 hour to overnight for squeezing time...I only press mine for 25-30 minutes normally.

Barry
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
buy firm tofu (such as cauldron, clear spot, taifun etc), take it out the pack, wash under running cold water, wrap in kitchen roll and squeeze over the sink with your hands; hard enough to remove water, not too hard to crumble it.

Whole process takea about 30 seconds and gives the same effect as fannying about with plates and piles of books.

Bingo. I don't see the need for an appliance to squeeze out water at all. Plenty of kitchen roll does the trick just fine :)

fooldramaqueen
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Bingo. I don't see the need for an appliance to squeeze out water at all. Plenty of kitchen roll does the trick just fine :)

You're right Barry, there's really no need, but I have been thoroughly seduced by the TofuXpress and there's no going back now :rolleyes:

BlackCats
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM

I always end up crumbling it. I must be immensely strong.:D

I probably would get that TofuXpress when I can afford it.

pusskins
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I just don't like using a lot of kitchen roll or making unnecessary laundry with teatowels, really. And, yes, I like gadgets too :)

cobweb
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
i just do it with my hands - wash my hands, run the tofu under the water, then squeeze, i don't like it too dried out anyway.

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
^what cobweb said.

DiaShel
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
What is a kitchen roll?

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
^either a rolling pin or some futuristic UK thing that we don't have yet.

Edit: Wait! I might know this....paper towel roll?

cobweb
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
^ gold star for veganwitch!

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
:D gold star w/ chocolate is what you meant ;)

cobweb
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
sorry, no, i ate the chocolate :tongue_ani:

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
^hmph! well that is the last time I agree w/ you!
*stomps off to get own chocolate*

cobweb
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
he-he, go and eat some damp tofu and count yourself lucky :D
(*dismal attempt to stay on-topic*)

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Lol!

DiaShel
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I don't understand how a paper towel roll would work! :confused:

veganwitch
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I think it's to use just the actual paper towels (instead of a cloth towel) to wrap the tofu and squeeze out excess water. I could imagine you would go through quite a lot of the roll though.

DiaShel
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:14 AM
Oh, I thought you meant the cardboard part. Opps! :o

Mr Flibble
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:44 AM
yes, just normal kitchen tissue.

Only needs 1 to 2 sheets of the strong stuff.

I'll post a video next time I use it if required ;)