PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Research

hum216
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have been doing research on Vegans for my English class. For this particular paper I am writing about how the economy has an effect on the price on food. I know that the price for organic foods is already high and I want to get a more in depth look as to how the recent economy has added to this. If anyone knows of any sources of information on this or would like to tell your personal experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Korn
Dec 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have been doing research on Vegans for my English class. For this particular paper I am writing about how the economy has an effect on the price on food. I know that the price for organic foods is already high and I want to get a more in depth look as to how the recent economy has added to this.

Hi Hum,
my main advice would be to not mix vegan/non-vegan prices with organic/non-organic prices. Some vegans eat organic food, others don't - and the same is true for non-vegans. In general, I think living on a vegan diet is less expensive than living on an omnivorous diet (but we have a few threads about that already).

Since animals raised for meat, eggs or milk eats food (plants!), the process of creating animal based food is more complex, have more steps, and needs more land than eating plants, which explains why even state sponsored production of animal products often leads to an unnecessary high cost.

Even if you ignore ethics, health and environmental issues, i just more make sense to eat a plant than to give it to an animal, and then kill and eat that animal. An animal based diet requires more resources: water, electricity, soil, transport, workers, freezing (electricity) and so on - and therefore more money.