PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Yeast

Pages : [1] 2

fooldramaqueen
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Forgive me if that has already been discussed, but I had a quick search and couldn't find anything to answer my question...

I'm planning to do some slightly more adventurous than usual cooking this week, and have almost all my ingredients for this creamy pasta sauce (http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/) from Vegan Yum Yum. However, I can't find this 'nutritional yeast' stuff anywhere! I asked in Holland & Barratt and just got blank looks :(

I think I may already have some in without realising (I have some of that fake parmesan topping stuff) but I'm not sure! Does anyone have any ideas?

BlackCats
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I bought mine in my local independent health food shop. I can't decide whether I like the taste or not yet though!:D

You could probably order it online. Nutritional Yeast Flakes (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/579698_Marigold_Engevita_Nutritional_Yeast_Flakes_ _125g.html)

harpy
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what the fake parmesan is made of :p but it might do instead.

I do think the nutritional yeast tastes slightly better though and I would think some health food shops in Manchester must have it. They may recognise the brandname, Marigold Engevita, or whatever it is, more easily than "nutritional yeast".

fooldramaqueen
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately my local health store closed recently :(

Byt yes, I really should get down to the veggie café/shop here, or the all-vegan food store that's not too far from me - for now I'll try the 'parmesan' but I really should get off my behind and onto my bike and get some supplies in one of these days :)

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll look out for that brand!

fooldramaqueen
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Also, thanks BlackCats - I'm trying to avoid online ordering at the moment what with the postal strikes and my aversion to delayed gratification, but I think I might put in a big order with Goodness Direct soon anyway so I'll definitely be getting some then!

gutts
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
The ones Blackcats mentioned (Marigold Engevita) are nice. They look like fish food flakes and taste a bit savoury / cheesy. I picked mine up from a local health food shop. Not sure if you'd find them in the Supermarket. Worth having, though. They get sprinkled on stuff fairly frequently.

gutts

DavidT
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Try 'yeast flakes' - that's what our local shop knows them as.

This stuff (Engevita) is so useful; 'cheesy'-type sauce, great with garlic potatoes, helps thicken gravy, sprinkle it on popcorn, even the dog gets some on his dinner and he loves it!

mariana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hmm...I don't really think that vegan parmesan tastes like nutritional yeast (I don't think it contains it, either), though I do like it, so it might taste good in your sauce. However, I see the sauce calls for 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast...would that be pretty much an entire container of vegan parmesan? It's probably cheaper to use nutritional yeast if you can find it somewhere...

P.S. I love vegan yum yum! :heart:

mariana
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well after looking over that recipe earlier I decided it looked easy and I had the ingredients on hand so I ended up making it for dinner! I really liked it. :) So thanks for posting that... :thumbsup:

fooldramaqueen
Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
No problem Mariana! I made it too, using my fake parmesan in place of the nutritional yeast, and it was yummy indeed! It was maybe a little bit too rich for my taste (I ended up adding more lemon, pepper & soy milk) but my boyfriend loved it so can't be all bad :)

fooldramaqueen
Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm going to try a couple more health food stores and if I have no luck I'll order from Goodness Direct :)

harpy
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
This appears to be the manufacturers' or distributors' website http://www.marigoldhealthfoods.com/ Think I saw a contact e-mail address on there so you could try asking if they know your nearest stockist, fooldramaqueen - although touring the local health food shops might be quite enjoyable.

jj
Nov 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Im sure both Vegan Store & Alternative Stores sell the yeast flakes
infact any good health food shop should stock them

lots of non vegans use them just for the health benefits too

jj

Bunny
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I find that Holland and Barrett aren't so good at stocking them. Smaller, local health food shops tend to be better. At least where I am!

If you are ever in Stoke, there is a shop that sells them there and they are really cheap. And yummy.

I call them fish food too!! lol :)

jj
Nov 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I love the yeast flakes

they are great for using in soups if you need a light stock, other wise I use vecon.

they are nice on a pizza but not a substitue for cheese

they are also great sprinkled on salads, baked potatoes, on top of soups etc

as long as you dont over heat the stuff its full of goodness & stays alive.
Its also great as its inactive yeast so wont cause any yeast related issues

I always mix it with a good omega seed mix& some organic cider apple vinegar
A couple of tablespoons per day really helps the digestion & a good source of b vits

jj

Ribbon
Nov 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Just a heads up if you're still looking in manchester you can get Engevita at Unicorn (chorlton) and 8th day (Oxford Road).i'm addicted to it!

AnneCE
Nov 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I wasn't too impressed with nutritional yeast when I first tried it but the past couple of weeks I can't get enough of it. Finn (cat) loves it too, when he gets a bit too fussy about his food, I sprinkle a little bit on it and it's gone in seconds. So I hope you can track it down locally.

BlackCats
Nov 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Finn (cat) loves it too, when he gets a bit too fussy about his food, I sprinkle a little bit on it and it's gone in seconds. So I hope you can track it down locally.

I just tested it on three of my cats and they absolutely devoured it!:)

DavidT
Nov 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Jack the dog is a fan too! He definitely prefers food with nutritional yeast mixed in. He knows what's good for him.

BlackCats
Nov 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Two more of my cats liked it as well.:thumbsup:

(I just gave my husband a spoonful to try and he said it reminded him of something else and he finally thought of what it was... chicken skin!:eek:)

Piggles
Nov 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Is the £2.29 125g tub of Engevita on veganstore.co.uk a decent deal? It seems a bit high to me, but how far does 125g go?

MarkAnthony
Nov 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If you're still living in Manchester I assume you're refering to Withington Health Foods that recently closed down? Unicorn in Chorlton have nutritional yeast and so to Eighth Day on the MMU campus part of Oxford Road.

fooldramaqueen
Dec 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for all your help! I very rarely get to 8th Day, for a very shameful reason (it would involve stepping off the bus home after work, and at that time I just want to get home asap!) but my boyfriend's kindly volunteered to go in for me so hopefully I'll be yeasting it up in no time :D

AnneCE
Dec 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Is the £2.29 125g tub of Engevita on veganstore.co.uk a decent deal? It seems a bit high to me, but how far does 125g go?
That's what I paid on Sunday in Real Foods in Edinburgh so it seems reasonable. (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk sell it for £2.30) 125g doesn't sound a lot but it is very light so it is more than you'd think. Not sure how long it takes me to go through a tub, as I have only really got to like it, before I sprinkled a bit on stuff every now and gain and then I began putting it on everything.

Senza
Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
That's what I paid on Sunday in Real Foods in Edinburgh so it seems reasonable. (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk sell it for £2.30) 125g doesn't sound a lot but it is very light so it is more than you'd think. Not sure how long it takes me to go through a tub, as I have only really got to like it, before I sprinkled a bit on stuff every now and gain and then I began putting it on everything.

On the side of the box, they say a serving is 30g but it depends on what you're using it for. I've found a tub lasts about a month of everyday use. Although i just use it for sprinkling over food...