PDA

View Full Version : New vegan restaurant: "Simply Vegan", Kentish Town

Pages : [1] 2

robb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone tried this place yet? I think it's new...

Simply Vegan
225 Kentish Town Road, London NW5 (next to Itta)
www.simplyvegan.co.uk

The menu doesn't look all that inspiring, but might be worth a try. It's nice that it's gluten free too, and I've heard that the chef used to work with Heather Mills....

BlackCats
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I haven't heard of it before. I would like to try there.:)

harpy
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Me too, even though it would mean going north of the river :eek: ;) Thanks Robb.

Sunkist
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
:) That looks good,-also has anybody heard about a new vegan cafe thats opened up in Primrose Hill?(I can'tremeber the name of it now)

sandra
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I am so jealous! I would love a place like that over here. We have absolutely NO vegan restaurants. :(

robb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
:) That looks good,-also has anybody heard about a new vegan cafe thats opened up in Primrose Hill?(I can'tremeber the name of it now)
A Japanese place with stools for about 6 people? I don't know the name either...

Sunkist
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
A Japanese place with stools for about 6 people? I don't know the name either...

Yeh, somebody told me about it the other day, its all vegan though..and that its good for takeaways :) :thumbsup:

Gwydion
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
(Subscribes)

Think it looks great!

leedsveg
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone tried this place yet? I think it's new...

Simply Vegan
225 Kentish Town Road, London NW5 (next to Itta)
www.simplyvegan.co.uk (http://www.simplyvegan.co.uk)

The menu doesn't look all that inspiring, but might be worth a try. It's nice that it's gluten free too, and I've heard that the chef used to work with Heather Mills....

To somebody from Leeds with the local 'choices' (sic) that means, the menu looks out of this world.:eek: Still, I can always nip down to H & B in Leeds centre for a cold sausage roll.

lv

robb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, we're spoilt down here. :D

sandra
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yeh, somebody told me about it the other day, its all vegan though..and that its good for takeaways :) :thumbsup:

A vegan takeaway............now I really AM jealous! :(

Buddha Belly
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Looks bloody good, will have to try at some point

Gwydion
Nov 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Don't suppose anybody has had a chance to sample this place yet? Got some friends coming out next week and wouldn't mind taking them there - but obviously a heads up would be good.

cobweb
Nov 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
sorry i can't help, Gwydion, i just wanted to say YES you are spoiled down there!! :mad::D

I think i've won the pools when my local shop orders in Cheezly for me! :rolleyes:.

harpy
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I finally made it to "Simply Vegan" in Kentish Town over the weekend, and the good news is that it was very nice grub, but the bad news is that it's now closed down :( I think they just opened because we had booked a while back.

The boss told us (and it also says on their web site) that he is hoping to open on new premises so I hope he finds some. The old place was very hard to see from the street so wouldn't have attracted any passing trade.

Marrers
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I heard it was closed already, hardly been open any time at all - at least you got to sample it harpy!

harpy
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:39 AM
The chap indicated that this had been a kind of trial run, but I think they did close earlier than they had intended. Let's hope he can find somewhere with a shop front next time, otherwise I imagine it's pretty impossible to get in enough punters.

Actually I'm not convinced putting "vegan" in the name is a brilliant idea either from a commercial point of view; other people with vegan restaurants that I've spoken to have mentioned that think they attract more people by not being so specific, if you know what I mean.

Marrers
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Yes, I remember the vegan restaurant Gardners in Fulham didn't even say they were veggie outside! (Though that lead to people coming in, sitting down, inspecting the menu then realising there was no meat and leaving :rollseyes_ani: - we saw that every time we ate there.)

harpy
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I've seen that in other vegetarian places as well. In one of the buffet places I've even seen people shovel food on their plate and then leave without paying after realising what it is!

A name like "222 Veggie Vegan" is not a bad compromise as you could interpret it as not being exclusively vegan - although obviously that one's already been taken :D

IIRC Gardners called itself "Restaurant potager" or something like that? - and they were among the people I remember explaining that they'd deliberately chosen not to use the word "vegan". Mind you they didn't last long either sadly.

robb
Dec 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I loved Gardners. I was reminiscing about it only earlier today. I used to go there all the time. (Although they really needed to change their menu more often.) Whatever happened to the couple who ran it? He reckoned he was close to perfecting vegan meringue... :D

Marrers
Dec 7th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I loved Gardners too - and Windmill nearby. At one point me and my friends reckoned we were the kiss of death for any restaurant - the ones we frequented always closed down! But that was the time when one veggie food option (mostly lasagne) started appearing in 'normal' restaurants and the veggie places lost a lot of trade, those who used to have to eat there with any veggie friends because it was the only place they could eat out. Leaving vegans with nowhere to eat out of course. :mad:

harpy
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I don't think Windmill can have gone out of business, it was always packed in there whenever I went - so it must have been you and your friends Marrers ;) No, I think we thought that they had probably made their pile and retired to the south of France, and/or the cost of their lease had been put up to an unacceptable level, as that area had been moving upmarket quite rapidly.

I liked Gardners too but I remember some people saying they weren't so keen on the atmosphere. I think the tube-shaped building probably didn't help. I thought the couple said they were going to open a b&b in France or something, but I may be mixing them up with Heathers in Deptford (another one I miss).

Sunkist
Dec 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I remember Windmills and Gardners (but only went to Gardners once I can remember),- I used to live in Fulham but mainly went to 'Omni' restaurants then.

I've been to Simply Vegan,- I like the food,but I didn't like the location (above a Pizza restaurant). I agree, I hope he finds a premises with its own shop front

Marrers
Dec 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Heathers! Oh I miss Heathers too harpy. :(

Gwydion
Dec 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!!!! Was planning on going there tonight.

Balls.

Thanks for the heads up Harpy.