PDA

View Full Version : Old Street

gutts
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Thinking about moving up to Old Street / Clerkenwell next month. Any Vegan groups or good places to hang out / eat around there?

Cheers,

gutts

mariana
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thinking about moving up to Old Street / Clerkenwell next month. Any Vegan groups or good places to hang out / eat around there?

Cheers,

gutts
Saf!....but it's pricey, so probably not somewhere you'd want to go regularly. It is amazing, though. :) If you haven't tried it, you need to.

gutts
Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Saf!....but it's pricey, so probably not somewhere you'd want to go regularly. It is amazing, though. :) If you haven't tried it, you need to.
Thanks for the reply. I've actually been there a few times. My partner isn't really into raw foods, but their sunday roast goes down a treat. I remember the cocktails being pretty good, too. Will probably end up a staple when I'm too lazy to cook. :o

gutts

robb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
The Wagamama at Spitalfields isn't far either, and caters well for vegans. Oh, and that's where Rootmaster is too. And the Hoxton Hotel does a vegan pasta (although I've never tried it).

At the other end of Old Street, there's a vegan friendly café (Carnevale) on Whitcross Street. I recently heard there was a vegan Chinese there too. (There's also a vegan Chinese on Leather Lane.)

As for groups, you'll have to come and hang out with us lot. :D (Although we tend to be in Camden / Soho more than anywhere else...)

mariana
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've actually been there a few times. My partner isn't really into raw foods, but their sunday roast goes down a treat. I remember the cocktails being pretty good, too. Will probably end up a staple when I'm too lazy to cook. :o

gutts
Best build that into your budget now, then. ;):p I think only about half their menu is raw, so your partner should be able to find something (I usually get something cooked, though for starters the raw beetroot ravioli is amazing!).

The Wagamama at Spitalfields isn't far either, and caters well for vegans. Oh, and that's where Rootmaster is too. And the Hoxton Hotel does a vegan pasta (although I've never tried it).

At the other end of Old Street, there's a vegan friendly café (Carnevale) on Whitcross Street. I recently heard there was a vegan Chinese there too. (There's also a vegan Chinese on Leather Lane.)

As for groups, you'll have to come and hang out with us lot. :D (Although we tend to be in Camden / Soho more than anywhere else...)

If you venture towards Spitalfields as Robb suggests you should check out the Sunday markets at Spitalfields and Brick Lane (I am a bit obsessed with them!)--there's a Rainforest Creations stall, stalls with vegan baked goods (sometimes), and an Ethiopian stall I love.
If you feel like venturing nearer to Barbican, there's an omni Japanese restaurant that does great vegan food (and marks it all on the menu). It's really pricey, though...best saved for special occasions! It's called Saki (http://www.saki-food.com/), and they also have fascinating toilets (seriously!).

Can you tell I like to eat...? :D

robb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Pub night this Saturday...

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25058

gutts
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Best build that into your budget now, then. ;):p I think only about half their menu is raw, so your partner should be able to find something (I usually get something cooked, though for starters the raw beetroot ravioli is amazing!).
Cool, I'll definitely drag her back over that way, in that case.

If you venture towards Spitalfields as Robb suggests you should check out the Sunday markets at Spitalfields and Brick Lane (I am a bit obsessed with them!)--there's a Rainforest Creations stall, stalls with vegan baked goods (sometimes), and an Ethiopian stall I love.
If you feel like venturing nearer to Barbican, there's an omni Japanese restaurant that does great vegan food (and marks it all on the menu). It's really pricey, though...best saved for special occasions! It's called Saki (http://www.saki-food.com/), and they also have fascinating toilets (seriously!).
Thanks for the ideas, sounds like I'll have some places to explore (and toilets to check out..?). :lol:

Can you tell I like to eat...? :D
Find me a Vegan that doesn't. :rolleyes:

gutts

gutts
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Pub night this Saturday...

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25058
Ah, wish I could but have a flight the next morning. Will definitely try to catch the next meet, though.

gutts

Sunkist
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Have you heard of the Vegetarian Bhelpoori in Chapel Street, Angel (very cheap) which is near to Old Street,- I've also heard that there's quite a few Vietnamese restaurants in Old Street that do vegan cuisine,

:)