PDA

View Full Version : Faux meat

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

The Lurker
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
You have to remember that people will have different reasons for becoming vegan - besides the animal rights types there are those who do it for health or environmental reasons who perhaps do not have an aversion to meat itself.

I never ate mock meat even as a vegetarian but I use it a lot more now to feed the kids (and the wife).

I remember I took a bite of a Redwood's 'fish' finger and almost puked - it tasted far too realistic (never like fish anyway), but vegan mince, sausages, hotdogs etc are fine with me (in moderation).

leedsveg
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
(Yes, crap & no, they don't play a delicious part of my vegan meals)

Hi Prawnil

Many thanks for your response. I now fully appreciate your point of view re faux-meat equating with crap food.

The irony is that if the vegetables we eat are not veganicly grown, but are grown using animal faeces (and how many on VF eat only veganic?) then we are all, literally speaking, eating 'crap food'!:eek:

leedsveg

(I'm now out of this thread as I don't think I can add anything more intelligent.)

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I like the taste of faux meats, LindaMcCartney pies etc, that's how I put on 56 pounds - binge eating on crap even if it is vegan crap!
Corum also has a bit of weight to lose so I am cooking him stuff without faux meat in (I am on a weeks leave).
Unfortunately junk food is still junk food even if it's ethical.

harpy
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think it's all junk - some of the stuff in Chinese Buddhist places is just made with tofu skin and what not, isn't it? And mock duck is just seitan.

Am not so keen on TVP based convenience foods as they tend to have a catastrophic effect on my innards these days, apart from anything else.

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's all junk - some of the stuff in Chinese Buddhist places is just made with tofu skin and what not, isn't it? And mock duck is just seitan.

Am not so keen on TVP based convenience foods as they tend to have a catastrophic effect on my innards these days, apart from anything else.

The stuff I put in my cakehole was junk :) refined white flour and suspicious looking gravy. John often eats seitan quite a lot but it doesn't really taste like fake meat he doesn't think.

BlackCats
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I remember I took a bite of a Redwood's 'fish' finger and almost puked - it tasted far too realistic (never like fish anyway), but vegan mince, sausages, hotdogs etc are fine with me (in moderation).

I did that with one of the faux fish products. Eww.:pissed:

suspicious looking gravy.

:D

When I was vegetarian I used to like the mock bacon strips and my omni husband and brother both really liked it too so mock meats do get some meateaters to eat veggie/ vegan food.:)

bellybuddha
Nov 5th, 2009, 02:11 PM
speaking about what is deemed or not deemed mock meats, I really hate it when people, generally omni's refer or compare tofu to cheese. It is what it is and me being chinese in origin it's been a massive part of my up bringing and diet. Get with it omni's! tofu is tofu.

sandra
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm with Leedsveg on this one. :) As long as it's vegan I don't have a problem with it. I don't regard 'faux meat' as having anything to do with meat, it's just another form of (vegetable in origin) food we can eat as vegans.
It's handy and quick to use so I find it comes in useful. I do spend a great deal of my day preparing meals from scratch.......so you can imagine if I can make a veggie burger in about 5 minutes then that is a help when I'm short of time. :)

mariana
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I don't see any kind of ethical problem with eating them, but I've never much been into faux meats. The texture usually weirds me out, though I do like some Chinese mock meat dishes. I always wondered if it may have something to do with me being brought up vegetarian and never really acquiring the taste for meat or mock meat. I do like the occasional veggie burger, but I was fed those as a child. My parents didn't start buying veggie hot dogs, sausages, bacon, etc. until I was older because they weren't available in our town when I was little. I do drink quite a bit of soya milk and make my own faux cheese (I don't usually like store-bought vegan cheese, though Teese is alright). I like Silk soy yogurt but am not a fan of any others. My dad dislikes most mock meats because he says they remind him too much of the taste/texture of meat (although I doubt he remembers all that well since he hasn't eaten it in over 30 years), and he won't even eat ketchup because he says it reminds him of eating hamburgers.

sandra
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I last ate meat 34 years ago as I became vegetarian at age 16 and I don't remember what it was like to eat meat. So, I think that's why I don't really associate faux meat with meat............I'm so glad I don't remember what it was like. :)

Mahk
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM
^It tastes like chicken. :p

baby_vicuņa
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:29 AM
^ :lol: My dad still says that to me when he wants me to try something. "C'mon try it. It's good. Tastes like chicken." :rolleyes:

cedarblue
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM

sorry, but...... :dizzy::D

timberly
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=leedsveg;616827]
it would be interesting to know how many 'converts' give up faux meats (if they ever tried them in the first place) and at what stage they do. Also how many 'converts' start, or resume eating, faux meats at a later stage. /QUOTE]

I didn't eat faux meat for at least my first year of being veg beacause it just grossed me out that it was supposed to taste like meat. Now I can eat it if it's offered but it's not as desireable to me as veggies would be.

leedsveg
Nov 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't eat faux meat for at least my first year of being veg beacause it just grossed me out that it was supposed to taste like meat. Now I can eat it if it's offered but it's not as desireable to me as veggies would be.

Hi Timberley

I think the diversity of opinion on VF and other vegan sites is quite interesting (and a bit of a hoot!). Some vegans (and I'm one) remember and like the taste of meat/fish and will eat faux-meat/faux fish without any feelings of guilt. Other vegans who liked the taste won't eat these analogues precisely because the similarities to the 'real thing' would make them feel guilty. (Of course there are people who say that the analogues are nothing like the 'real thing'!)

From another perspective, some vegans (and I'm one) say that having these analogues available can encourage omnis to go veggie/vegan (eg as a transitional food), or most likely have no influence at all. Other vegans say that it sends out a sign to omnis that even when we go veggie/vegan, we still crave the real thing.

So it's just a matter of opinion. Are the people against the analogues, also against using soya milk/rice milk and vegan margarine because it reminds them of the 'real thing' ie cow's milk and butter? And how do they feel about vegan 'cheese'?

And finally, before anybody reminds me, I am aware that consumption of fresh fruit and veg is usually better for ones health than processed/junk food, whether one is a veggie/vegan or not. So should we never eat a piece of chocolate or some fries?

leedsveg:D

RubyDuby
Nov 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
From another perspective, some vegans (and I'm one) say that having these analogues available can encourage omnis to go veggie/vegan (eg as a transitional food), or most likely have no influence at all. Other vegans say that it sends out a sign to omnis that even when we go veggie/vegan, we still crave the real thing.
I would say all 3 of these opinions are correct. I guess it depends on the omni.

Lisey_duck
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:37 AM
No moral problem, but I've noticed that fake meat has started to gross me out more in the last few months. Still eating vegan cheese though!

leedsveg
Nov 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
No moral problem, but I've noticed that fake meat has started to gross me out more in the last few months. Still eating vegan cheese though!

Hi Ld

You'd be ok living in Yorkshire because everybody calls each other 'duck' (either that or 'love').

I eat the odd piece of vegan cheese, usually a cheese slice. Not much like real cheese though, which may or may not be a bad thing, in the eyes of VF posters.

leedsveg:thumbsup:

Lisey_duck
Nov 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Ha I live in Nottingham so get 'ducked' on a regular basis. If I'm drunk enough I'll respond by quacking...

Ms_Derious
Nov 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm from Aylesbury, where the term 'Duck' is used often, without any hint of irony is seems.

Mahk
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Ha I live in Nottingham so get 'ducked' on a regular basis. If I'm drunk enough I'll respond by quacking...

:p Or you could quickly cover your head with your hands and crouch down.
---

When people who don't know I'm a vegan politely offer me some, "Honey?" I respond, "Yes dear?"

Johnstuff
Nov 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Soya cheese made going vegan very easy for me :)

Things like veggie sausages, I don't think of as meat, there's not that much meat in the 'mechanically recovered' omni sausages.

I sometimes eat the cheatin bacon type stuff but I'm not all that into it.

A lot of (non-vegans) think that a meal needs meat, I try not to encorage this view.

It's ok as a treat but not very healthy.

I don't count tofu/beancurd as fake meat. Only stuff that is designed to look like the meat versions (mainly the 'cheatin' range).

On the other hand it could be good for making going vegan so easy, you don't even have to stop eating 'bacon' butties.

mariana
Nov 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I don't see any kind of ethical problem with eating them, but I've never much been into faux meats. I always wondered if it may have something to do with me being brought up vegetarian and never really acquiring the taste for meat or mock meat.
I asked the only lifelong vegetarian (now vegan) I know about mock meats thinking he, too, might not like them if my theory about not having acquired the taste for meat or mock meat is correct (because neither of us had mock meat growing up--it wasn't available where I was and I'm pretty sure it wasn't available in Tanzania where he grew up!). He said that he enjoys veggie sausages but other than that doesn't like mock meats. So perhaps there is something to my theory...or maybe the two of us are just odd. :p

Tofu Monkey
Nov 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm fine with it because I've never denied that I think the taste of meat is good so having products that taste as close to the real thing but without all the cruelty, is good enough for me.

I also think it's good because there are a lot of very, um, 'simple' people in this world, who think that in order to eat a meal, you need your meat and two veg. If there are options that help them replace the meat with a vegan option, then they feel almost safe. Not everyone is creative or indeed, any good in the kitchen, so this probably allows for more people to become vegetarian/vegan, whereas if these options weren't i place, they'd be less likely to change.

buttons
Nov 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I've eaten some veggie sausages, facon (fake bacon) and mock duck in a can(!) before, but I'm not very keen on them. Currently, the closet thing to mock meat in my kitchen would be veggie burgers (the kind that aren't made to resemble meat in any way).

I know that if my boyfriend were to go veggie (he has briefly considered it in the past), mock meats would feature heavily in his diet.