PDA

View Full Version : Raw vegan journey

Pages : [1] 2

Hemlock
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Week One:
I'd just like to know who is currently raw vegan on this forum?
I've gone as near to 100% as I can as this is the only way of life that keeps me thin (I tried it before, lost loads of weight then relapsed thanks to wine).
I have 56 pounds to lose (at least) and no other diet has worked for me, I need to sort this out once and for all. I intend to stick to the raw lifestyle as much as I am able.
As a healthcare worker I am fed up with my patient's asking me why I'm fat and why I don't follow my own advice (especially bad being vegan) so this I hope is the start of a lifelong journey to health and changing old die hard habits.
I'm interested to know why the raw vegans became raw vegans and what they get out of it along with regular updates on the effects of the diet change.
You tube has been a fantastic support as there is so much information.

gutts
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Good luck with this, hope it helps yield the results you're aiming for.

I'm interested in incorporating more raw food into my diet, too. Please share any particularly yummy things you may come across on your journey. :D

gutts

Hemlock
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I certainly will! :)

jasminschade
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Have you heard of or seen Ani Phyo's book, "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen"? It's pretty good and the recipes are awesome. I was raw for a few months - ultimately I didn't care for it and went back to being "normal" Vegan. However I do try to incorporate raw food as much as possible - this book is very good. It is especially good because the recipes are easy and fast. No weird complicated recipes like in Juliano's raw food book (Google it if you are unfamiliar - you will also have a good laugh at this guy). Good for a young guy or gal on the run with a busy life!

Hope this helps and best of luck! Sorry I couldn't offer more on staying raw.

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks I'll give it a go. I went raw once before but failed as I only ate chopped raw veg, This time I'm making an effort with smoothies, nut butters, recipes and sprouting and it all tastes so much better.

Week one - weight loss 6 pounds despite eating a ransom in nuts, raw tahini and fruit laden smoothies!!!

Started the week feeling insanely hungry and had to eat every couple of hours for the first three days. It was a raging hunger that had to be satisfied immediately!

After three days the hunger went and for the first time in my life I have to remind myself to eat. All my normal bingeing urges have gone and my blood sugar seems to have stabilised wonderfully (I'm not diabetic but prone to low blood sugar and binge eating).

Feeling good and my skin has taken on a glow that wasn't there before. I'm also feeling more energetic and have spent hours working in the garden. This time round it's much easier due to effort put in making nice food to eat.

I have had a niggling headache all week tho', could be not eating salt. I'm such a salt fiend i even put it on toast! Those days are over!

The Lurker
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'll be interested to see how this goes - do you have a list of what you're eating on a typical day?

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Sure, yesterday I had a green smoothie - it was a bit moreish so I had 2 pints of it :o It consisted of:
Breakfast:
1 banana
1 apple
1 orange
3 apricots
3 prunes
about 200 mls unprocessed coconut milk
small handful of nuts
as much spinach as I can cram in the processor
a cup of water

Didn't feel hungry all morning after that so worked in the garden all morning chopping wood and had lunch at 2 pm:
Large green salad (came with organic veg box I order) with a large side helping of broccomoli I made with one large head of broccoli (I don't like the stuff this is the only way I can eat it):

1 large head of broccoli
2 large tablespoons raw tahini and 1 of pumpkin nut butter (bought in health food shop)
2 tablespoons walnut oil
small handful of nuts
water to blend to the right consistency
(I ate the lot)

Afternoon snacks:

1 apple
small handful of walnuts
2 raw carrots (large)

Evening:

fruit smoothie:

1 orange
1 apple
apricots
prunes
the last of the coconut milk
a few nuts

That was a pretty typical day and even though I spent the day chopping logs for our woodburner I didn't feel hungry. If i was on a cooked food calorie controlled diet the nuts I ate would have sent me right over the diet calorie limit but wheras I only lose typically 2 pounds on the first week of a normal diet I lost 6 on this one eating whatever I want.

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
The trauma of visiting a restaurant!
I said I was a raw vegan and could I have a large salad with nothing on it. They were a bit nonplussed by this and sent the chef out! By the time he finished talking to me the whole restaurant knew I was a raw vegan and was looking at me wondering why I was so fat - the shame.
What I got was a beautifully presented salad with everything on it but in a nouvelle cuisine portion size that wouldn't feed a gnat:(
Next time I will ask for it to be supersized :)

gutts
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Good work on braving the restaurant, and getting what you wanted (well, apart from the portion!). I've had similar experiences going out with colleagues who are all meat-eaters to steak houses and the like. People look at you as if you had two heads when you ask for a salad (because that's pretty much all you can eat from the menu) and hold the crispy pig flakes and shavings of coagulated bovine secretions (obviously put in a much more diplomatic manner ;)). I find they tend to pause after you've ordered, as if expecting you to add something, "Oh, I almost forgot, I'll have a big lump of dead animal to go with that carefully crafted salad. And a beer. Actually, on second thoughts, just the beer." :D

gutts

Gorilla
Nov 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
As a healthcare worker I am fed up with my patient's asking me why I'm fat and why I don't follow my own advice

off topic, but i find this unbelievably rude and wouldn't dare say something like that to anyone! :eek:

good luck Hemlock, i hope it works out for you. how did you get through the first few days of being hungry all the time? i know when i've increased my percentage of raw foods i constantly feel like i'm going to pass out and never make it to the next stage :o

Hemlock
Nov 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi Gorilla, I've had a week off work annual leave so I've been able to feel like death in my own home :) I go off for a hot bath when it all gets too much. Hopefully by next week I will be back to normal. At least the hunger has worn off now.
My patients are very special - they have no qualms about playing guess the weight of the podiatrist...I'm going to show them!

Hemlock
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Well this forum blog has turned into how to be a raw vegan in northern climes on the dole as we had some bad news yesterday - still no worries. I always thought what was the point in doing raw vegan if you had to spend 200 a week on exotic fruits and hours of food preparation.
Sadly we don't live in a country where mangoes and avocados grow in the wild all year round. We live in a country where our natural diet is brussels sprouts and turnips in winter, neither of which make good smoothies :amazed_ani:
We will just have to be a bit more inventive.
The veg box is cheap so we can still get that each week and we live near the sea so I'm going to try harvesting some seaweed and go out into the country to see whats left for a wild harvest.
Fortunately I still have a large packet of Infinity Foods raw cacao nibs to sprinkle on everything!
Oranges are cheap at Morrisons at the moment as are pears and apples, they are all a pound a bag.
I also bought a sprouter a few weeks ago and have loads of bags of watercress seed and dried beans which will make good sprouts and are also really cheap to buy in bulk so I have not been defeated yet!
Tomorrow I will see if brussels sprouts and leafy green cabbage will make good green smoothies alternatives - probably ok if I hold my nose and think of it as medicine :)
I also have a good stash of vegan vitamins and minerals I bought a few weeks ago which will hopefully help us through the winter.
Thank goodness for Riverford farms cheap organic veg boxes without which we would have to give up going raw!

gutts
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Well this forum blog has turned into how to be a raw vegan in northern climes on the dole as we had some bad news yesterday - still no worries. I always thought what was the point in doing raw vegan if you had to spend 200 a week on exotic fruits and hours of food preparation.
Sadly we don't live in a country where mangoes and avocados grow in the wild all year round. We live in a country where our natural diet is brussels sprouts and turnips in winter, neither of which make good smoothies :amazed_ani:
We will just have to be a bit more inventive.
The veg box is cheap so we can still get that each week and we live near the sea so I'm going to try harvesting some seaweed and go out into the country to see whats left for a wild harvest.
Fortunately I still have a large packet of Infinity Foods raw cacao nibs to sprinkle on everything!
Oranges are cheap at Morrisons at the moment as are pears and apples, they are all a pound a bag.
I also bought a sprouter a few weeks ago and have loads of bags of watercress seed and dried beans which will make good sprouts and are also really cheap to buy in bulk so I have not been defeated yet!
Tomorrow I will see if brussels sprouts and leafy green cabbage will make good green smoothies alternatives - probably ok if I hold my nose and think of it as medicine :)
I also have a good stash of vegan vitamins and minerals I bought a few weeks ago which will hopefully help us through the winter.
Thank goodness for Riverford farms cheap organic veg boxes without which we would have to give up going raw!
Sorry to hear things are tough, but much respect for persevering. :thumbsup:

gutts

Hemlock
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM

cedarblue
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM

i'd have to pre-empt you there and say, NOOOOOOOOOOO.
i'd suggest trying to juice them instead of smoothie-ing them but even then i find them way too strong even to chug down with nice tasting additions. GAH!:hmm:

really thinly shredded/grated b sprouts make a good additive or base for a raw coleslaw though or a grated addition to a tasty salad. :thumbsup:

Hemlock
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Go on with you! We're tough people in the cold lands, we drink cabbage smoothies and eat raw beetroot! Not like those soft Californian raw vegans :D

sandra
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I really admire what you are doing Hemlock..............I just know I couldn't do it. :(

I'm the sort of person who, if I eat even a little of something that doesn't agree with me......I'm sick for days. I have tried eating raw in the past but have never been able to manage it for more than a day. I know I'm hopeless and maybe I should try harder but I just wanted to say, good on you!

Is there any advice you could give me to enable me to even begin to eat more raw food? I would really appreciate it. :)

Hemlock
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Not really Sandra, I have to say I crave cooked food a lot I just make myself eat raw stuff although I will say after a week on raw food you do lose all the food cravings and stop thinking about food so much.
Smoothies have been the saving grace really, easy to make and taste nice.

Hemlock
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well I just keep losing weight despite eating loads and feeling stuffed all the time. I have lost 9 lbs in a week and a half.
I was semi joking about the cabbage smoothy or so I thought then I discovered that Valuev's family (the 7 foot Russian boxer giant) has a secret. It is a family tradition to eat winter vegetables including potatoes, cabbage, beetroot and turnips RAW! Now that's what I call really hard raw foodism.
I believe they do also eat meat but still - raw potatoes, I would have thought it would give you the runs!
I'm going to try it all in the name of science of course and see how it goes eating winter veg raw.
Hopefully my next post will not be from hospital!

sandra
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Not really Sandra, I have to say I crave cooked food a lot I just make myself eat raw stuff although I will say after a week on raw food you do lose all the food cravings and stop thinking about food so much.
Smoothies have been the saving grace really, easy to make and taste nice.

Thanks Hemlock. I like the idea of the smoothies.........I love making fruit smoothies. I think I will give eating raw a go for maybe one day a week.

I don't want to lose any weight though as I'm only 7st 12lbs as it is. Hopefully, if it's only for one day each week though it won't have too much effect. :)

Gorilla
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
i've never found smoothies filling at all so i know that wouldn't work for me if i was hungry! :pissed:

glad to hear you're losing weight Hemlock :thumbsup: hope the raw winter veg don't make you ill! :lol:

Hemlock
Nov 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Raw potato....brrrrrrrrr......never, never again :amazed_ani: I might try soaking them overnight and then marinating them one further night to see if it's any better but quite honestly those Russians seriously must have zero taste buds.
You do start off hungry all the time Gorilla but after a week it just wears off and settles down, I hardly ever feel hungry now.
Sandra - 7 stone 2......you must be only three foot tall! :)

sandra
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ha ha! I'm 7st 12lbs not 7st 2lbs............and I'm 5' 2" tall............that is still quite small but not just as small as 3 feet! :eek: :D

The Lurker
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I was semi joking about the cabbage smoothy or so I thought then I discovered that Valuev's family (the 7 foot Russian boxer giant) has a secret. It is a family tradition to eat winter vegetables including potatoes, cabbage, beetroot and turnips RAW! Now that's what I call really hard raw foodism.

Yeah but Valuev still got his arse kicked by someone a quarter of his size so he's not all that . . .

cedarblue
Nov 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
how's it going, hemlock?