PDA

View Full Version : Which companies to boycott and why?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

dreama
May 23rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
I had a look at some of the links and signed some petions and E cards.

I make sure everything I buy is cruelty free. The problem is I get help cleaning my flat as I am disabled and some really dodgy stuff keeps apearing in my place dispite the fact there is perfectly good envirenment and animal freindly cleaning products of my own. I'll just have to try and get dad to shop at co op for cleaning products as according to BUAV the stuff they sell is ok and it's better then what apears at the moment. (Dad doesn't do the cleaning but has this idea my cleaner won't be happy using the stuff I buy).

I'd like to be more active in demonstrating but I would need a guide interpreter for that. Don't think the social services would be too pleased if I asked them if I could have a guide interpreter to help me break into a research laboritory so I can rescue some of their critters.

Mozbee
May 23rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
dreama the cleaner is in your flat, cleaning your things. Why shouldn't you let them know that you don't want them to use certain nasty products! If they don't like it, could you request a change of human cleaner. :)

Mozbee :D

dreama
May 24th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Mozbee: I'm sure my cleaner wouldn't mind using whatever I provide her with. She's not the problem. My dad is. It took me ages to perswade him not to keep giving Jilli Eucanuba every time I visited him.

Mozbee
May 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Oh no! dreama doesn't he know about Proctor and how they Gamble with animals lives?

Latest news is they've slackened off on the cats & dogs - instead they're dangling mice by their tails for long periods to see how it affects the muscles in their hind legs! If you've not got any anti-P&G info check out here (http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm) or perhaps even here (http://www.naturewatch.org/shoppingguide/csg.asp)! :)

Mozbee :D

Good luck! ;)

coconut
May 31st, 2005, 11:06 PM
Part of my job involves sitting in an IMAX theatre with an audience while the films are running. Yesterday during the trailers I saw the new Coca-Cola ad. Has anyone else seen it? Where the annoying-as-f*ck guy goes around hugging people and leaving bottles of coke outside their doors. I just hate it when companies produce these happy, exuberant ads for products that are dripping with evil. Fairy Liquid is another culprit :mad: ("Just how smooth can my hands feel after washing the dishes")

Pilaf
May 31st, 2005, 11:09 PM
Almost as annoying as those Burger King ads with the guy in the ridiculous King costume going to people's houses to share greasy bacon and egg biscuits with them.

coconut
May 31st, 2005, 11:19 PM
I haven't seen a McDonalds ad in a while. Perhaps they're keeping a lower profile since McLibel has been in the news over here. I've been watching hardly any TV though - except for some David Attenborough DVDs which are thankfully uncontaminated by Ronald McDonald. I wish David Attenborough was vegan :rolleyes: Imagine him discussing the benefits of a plant-based diet with that voice of his.

Mozbee
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
McPukenalds are still pushing their sugar drenched salads etc! :p

my3labs
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Here's a list of companies that do and don't test on animals (from PETA's site):

http://www.caringconsumer.com/searchcompany.asp

feline01
Jun 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Here's a photo of the kids at their first leafletting: :D

http://www.vegantwins.com/images/Baby%20Pictures/2005-05-21-24.JPG

spo
Jun 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Oh, feline -- how utterly adorable!! Don't stop me--I'm gonna say it:
AWWW!! :D :D
That photo really makes my day! Thanks for posting it. :)
spo

Mozbee
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
& long may they continue their great work feline01 & veganman - FABULOUS!

Aurora
Jun 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
They are lovely feline and veganman :)

VeganMan
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM
They are lovely feline and veganman :)
Thanks!

By the way, what about Starbucks?

I'm sure there are many more reasons than mine, but mine's pretty good:

On 9/11/2001 at the starbucks near The Towers, some rescue workers came in asking for water to help victims. The clerk said they had to pay for it and made them wait while they rang it up!

I could see them billing their station for it, but how could they possibly make them wait?

My lovely wife emailed them about it and their response was absolute bull!!!

spo
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
On 9/11/2001 at the starbucks near The Towers, some rescue workers came in asking for water to help victims. The clerk said they had to pay for it and made them wait while they rang it up!

How utterly disgusting! :mad: Thankfully, I never give that trash establishment any business! Typical capitalist corporate garbage.:cool:

BTW, love the twins' picture, as I said; but what is that cute cat figure sitting next to them? -- a Feline totem, perhaps? ;)
spo :)

feline01
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
BTW, love the twins' picture, as I said; but what is that cute cat figure sitting next to them? -- a Feline totem, perhaps? ;)
spo :)
Yes, I saw this fat calico at a store and had to buy it, the resemblance is quite good :) .

OK, back to Starbucks. I emailed Starbucks to complain about them selling water to emergency services on 9/11 and I got a response from the CEO which basically said that they apologized to that particular ambulance company and they reimbursed them. Awwww, how nice (NOT!) :mad:

Mozbee
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Some humans just don't know when rules MUST be broken do they (-charging for water in life or death situations!)

kriz
Jun 7th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Feline, just looking at your little "activist twins" made my day! :) :) You're a beautiful family.

Cal
Jun 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Here's a photo of the kids at their first leafletting: :D
Beautiful picture, feline! :)

feline01
Jun 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Another reason to boycott Starbucks, they are one of the many businesses who have given nursing moms problems. So lactivists are striking back, here's the article. (http://www.nurseatstarbucks.com/) .

I would have been very upset if I was asked to breastfeed in a toilet :eek: . I breastfed up to last month, when they were a bit over a year old. It's natural and it's not like these women are tossing their breasts around for all to gape at. :mad:

ninapr
Jun 9th, 2005, 12:23 AM
hi...this is all very overwhelming..i just turned vegan about 3-4 weeks ago and it is very hard being around my friends and family who refuse to hear the truth and stop eating their chicken and steak and ribs..etc...and almost all the products on PETA's list of companies that DO test on animals is in my bathroom or kitchen cabinets already..Proctor and Gamble and Gillette---damn them! Seems they make everything..any advice for me on how to deal with people's reactions?-mostly negative or ignorant and jokie...the whole cruelty free living seems futile in this wasteful, ignorant, self-centered, selfish, just plain stupid, greedy society we live in! How do you guys cope on a daily basis when it is all around you and it seems that there will always be senseless suffering, abuse, neglect, torture and slow painful deaths for animals? I cannot comprehend the world we have created and I hope God gives people their due when the time comes and I PRAY he takes these animals immediately to HIM once they finally do die after a hellish, nightmarish life and death. I feel really great about not eating animals, but the people around me just don't want to get it. I wonder if we started factory farms of little babies and kids because their flesh was just too tasty to resist, how people would feel?

my3labs
Jun 9th, 2005, 01:33 AM
There are so many products that are tested on animals and some are still in my house. But as they run out I replace them with cruelty free products like "Tom's of Maine", "Seventh Generation". The PETA list also shows companies that do not test on animals so be sure to check that as well. There are a few companies that I've started to buy from including lush.com and kissmyface.com.
The "dealing with people" issue has been difficult for me as well. I haven't had anyone make fun of me...yet. But it is so sad to see people that I love continue to live that way. To be honest, it has made me question my relationship with them. After all, if I knew they were abusing children or stealing...would I be involved with them? The answer of course, is "no". So how do I justify them doing an action that you know is wrong? That's where I run into trouble in my own mind.

veganesquire
Jun 9th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Thank you all for posting this information and the links to such great sites. I am so grateful for this forum because you all motivate me when I feel overwhelmed by all the cruelty and injustice.

adam antichrist
Jun 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM
How do you guys cope on a daily basis when it is all around you and it seems that there will always be senseless suffering, abuse, neglect, torture and slow painful deaths for animals?

In order to deal with feeling overwhelmed, it is important to focus on what you are doing rather than what others are not doing. Also being around other vegans helps alot too. Join a social group or activist organisation!

I wonder if we started factory farms of little babies and kids because their flesh was just too tasty to resist, how people would feel?

Ahh, don't forget "thou shalt not kill"
:D

Anti_flag
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Shopping can be a nightmare out there. Takes me twice as long to do any shopping as I am constantly reading the labels.

When I get the chance, I stick stickers that says 'This product was tested on animals' on various items in shops.

Thats a great idea! Have you got any stickers, or did you make them yourself?