PDA

View Full Version : Which companies to boycott and why?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Mozbee
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I think it's PeTA that has those stickers Anti flag. (Not that I'd know about that kind of thing ;))

Roxy
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM
They also have stickers which you can place on packaged chicken in the meat departments. They look like a yellow warning label and read "WARNING! This package contains the decomposing corpse of a small, tortured bird."

Kiran
Aug 25th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have given a link below that highlights a list of products to boycott. Also included are various other entities that are potential targets for boycotts. Some products/entities blacklisted for animal cruelty are Adidas, Air France, Air India, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Sabena, british heart foundation, Colgate pamolive, Ribena, Lucozade, Aquafresh, Beechams, Macleans, Solphadeine, Nicorette, Nightnurse, Horlicks, Contac and Tums, L'Oreal etc

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/boycotts_list.htm

I fully agree with the product boycott list that is attributed to animal testing and cruelty. However, please note that I DO NOT subscribe or show interest towards many other entities, because I don't have the full information about them. Each forumer has the right to have their own opinion in this regard.

vegandolly
Aug 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM
http://killercoke.org/ :eek:

catmogg
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Vegan dolly, i was ranting about coke hon the forum earlier, have you haerd the David Rovicks song; ' Coke is the drink of the death squads.'

Nestle have to go on this boycott list, they stink.

Kiran
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM

What did Nestle do? Have they been naughty with animals? :confused: :(.. B**tards!! :mad:

catmogg
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM
This explains :mad: :mad: :mad:

www.babymilkaction.org (http://www.babymilkaction.org/)

Hope the link works...

vegandolly
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Vegan dolly, i was ranting about coke hon the forum earlier, have you haerd the David Rovicks song; ' Coke is the drink of the death squads.'

I havent heard that song but I would like to

Kiran
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks Cat.. That explains everything!! Ta.

andesuma
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Everyone needs to check out:
www.responsibleshopper.org (http://www.responsibleshopper.org)

Very informative website!
Just choose a corporation and they give you a lot of the dirt, and inform you of the companies and brands they own.

& I would say, above all... boycott Johnson&Johnson, and Procter & Gamble!!
These are vile corporations, that own A LOT of companies and name brands(like Gillette! meaning Duracell batteries!), no one would ever think to connect buying batteries with supporting animal experimentations in labs.
So awful : (

adam antichrist
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I can't find any mention of Gillette in relation to P&G or J&J

andesuma
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:17 AM
oops.. maybe they are seperate now?
damn...

Mozbee
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I can't find any mention of Gillette in relation to P&G or J&J
Maybe Responsible Shopper hasn't been updated! :rolleyes:

Kevster
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah i think Gilette has recently been taken over by P & G, Thomas Cook if it hasn't already been mentioned.

From Le Guardian

'P&G chief executive AG Lafley has been reshaping the company over the past few years in order to increase its exposure to faster growing markets - most notably through the €6.5bn (£4.5bn) acquisition of haircare firm Wella in 2003 and the $57bn takeover of Gillette this year.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1540777,00.html

Kevster
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Little Nestle update, i think it's pretty bad that they've been certified by the Fair Trade Foundation, this one product might be fair trade but just look at what the company does to the rest of the market. Nestle helps to create situations of exploitation, and in this case is just exploiting people who have some ethics, though, for that matter people that buy Nestle products aren't particularly ethically sound anyway in my opinion.

The fairtrade foundation feels that this move will put pressure on the other large corporations that control the coffee market (oligopoly here) so that they might announce their own little fairtrade initiative, what a load of rubbish. Sure it'll help some people, but again it'll no doubt help decrease some of the pressure on Nestle, we are probably going to be hearing a lot about the new all singing all dancing initiative. Also reminds me of the welfarist approach to animal rights, this gradual change is not really that useful. The benefits are small, and in the meantime many will continue to suffer. A small step in the right direction? Or does it just prolong the Corporations ability to control the market?

'Nestlé defies boycotters and 'ethical shoppers' by launching its own Fair Trade coffee brand
By Martin Hickman
Published: 07 October 2005

Britain's most boycotted company, Nestlé, will attempt to claim the moral high ground today in the battle for "ethical shopping" by becoming the first multi-national to launch a Fair-Trade coffee.
[...]

But despite Nestlé's adoption of Fair Trade - which will be backed by a £1m advertising campaign - the company will still buy almost all of its coffee at the prevailing, low world price. [...]

Nestlé acknowledged there were strong commercial reasons driving its entry into the Fair Trade market, which has expanded from three products in 1994 to more than 1,000 now. Sales are growing at about 40 per cent a year.
[...]'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article317799.ece

maya
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Pottery Barn for lying and saying some of their product come from Italy when they come from a sweatshop in India.

Wal-Mart is an unrepentant and recidivist violator of employee rights, drawing repeated convictions, fines, and the ire of judges from coast to coast. Workers' compensation laws, child-labor laws (1,400 violations in Maine alone), surveillance of employees--you name it, this corporation is a repeat offender. NLC interviewed workers in China's Guangdong Province who toil in factories making popular action figures, dolls and other toys sold at Wal-Mart. NLC describes: 13- to 16-hour days molding, assembling, and spray-painting toys--8 a.m. to 9 p.m. or even midnight, seven days a week, with 20-hour shifts in peak season. Even though China's minimum wage is 31 cents an hour--which doesn't begin to cover a person's basic subsistence-level needs--these production workers are paid 13 cents an hour.

LittleNellColumbia
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Im not too familiar with the website about the shopping, but i do try to boycott coca-cola brand. Ill research a tad more tomorro in the daylight:o

Troutina
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Nestle
Proctor and Gamble
GlaxoSmithKline
Coca Cola
Pepsi
Cadburys
Green and Blacks
Coors
Nike
Adidas
Pretty much all sports shops really..
Gap

I also try and avoid cheap clothes shops because I think they're linked to sweat shops i.e Primark, Asda etc.
I'm sure there's more..!

sugarmouse
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
can anyone tell me what supermarkets and other food shops are less than ethical.im not clued up on that.
thanks
jen x

twinkle
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Green and Blacks
...!

Why Green and Blacks??

cedarblue
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Why Green and Blacks??

:confused: me too! - whats up with them apart from their takeover?

Kumem
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
They may have been taken over, but the board has remained the same. They are still a stand alone company, which hopefully will mean that their own ethical policies will remain the same.
I fear in time though, that that will change, as is common with takeovers.

Roxy
Oct 8th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Nestle
Proctor and Gamble
GlaxoSmithKline
Coca Cola
Pepsi
Cadburys
Green and Blacks
Coors
Nike
Adidas
Pretty much all sports shops really..
Gap

I also try and avoid cheap clothes shops because I think they're linked to sweat shops i.e Primark, Asda etc.
I'm sure there's more..!

With regards to Gap, I thought they were now monitoring their factories to ensure fair labour practices. I'm pretty sure I saw this at the end of "The Corporation".

Kevster
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM
All the supermarkets have poor records on ethics. Some are slightly better than others, perhaps the co-op.

Aspartame has probably been written about, found in coca cola for one, and a known carcinogen. Plus they're very busy testing this chemical on as many animals as they can possibly lay their hands on.

http://www.newstarget.com/009807.html
http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/5645/e/1/T/CFIDS_FM/

That's apart from Coca Colas human rights record in their production plants across the world.

The sell out of Green and Craps to Cadbury is also worthy of a boycott in preference of chocolate from ethical companies such as Cocoa Tree, Montezumas. Green and Blacks no longer exists, it is now the ethical and acceptable arm of Cadbury. Whilst the majority of cocoa bought by Cadbury is at exploiitation prices. It is inconsistent and appalling that a company can recognise the profit in an ethical company, bolt it on to their own, and continue to buy cocoa off the market at prices where people are exploited. (This is besides the rather large amount of cow milk that Cadbury use which in itself is worthy of protest).

Kevster
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:07 PM
With regards to Gap, I thought they were now monitoring their factories to ensure fair labour practices. I'm pretty sure I saw this at the end of "The Corporation".

Rox, their ideas of monitoring probably means one announced visit per year. Any improvement in conditions will be from awful to marginally better than awful, if it weren't i reckon they'd be screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful they were, and how well treated all there employees are.