PDA

View Full Version : Rescuing overcooked food

Festered
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I made curry using basic curry ingredients and soya mince, with puy lentils and tomatoes.
But, I put the heat on too high, I thought I had left it simmering when it was actually cooking on high heat and now most of the flavours have been ruined :(
I hate wasting food. Luckily, the curry itself was made out of something my housemate made and botched up! But even so, I want to 'rescue' it.
I have thought about freezing it in batches and just using each batch as a base for other foods I make. Or could I add more vegetables to it...I suppose.
Any tips?
Thank you

Cherry
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm. Personally, I'd just crack out the lime pickle and poppadoms and put up with it as it is :D

Otherwise you'll end up with something, made out of frozen curry, made out of something else ... or worse, just some stuff in the freezer that you never got round to using and have to throw away.

Ms_Derious
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Bit late, but you could make a pot pie out of it. I sometimes make a pot pie with a cornmeal crust. Basically, I pour whatever I want to pot into a large, warmed oven dish and top with a crust made of of equal parts cornmeal and water. I then bake this at 200C for about 20mins.

A half cup of cornmeal is enough for a smallish 8inch dish, mixed with a half cup of water. If I'm feeling spicy I add a pinch of chilli flakes to the crust. You just flatten the top of whatever you are potting and pour the cornmeal batter on top. It's rustic looking, but quick and tasty.

Festered
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I think I am going to do that, ms Derious. A curry pie anyone? haha.Thanks!

Festered
Nov 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Or maybe make some burgers actually!