PDA

View Full Version : Silk brand soy milk

kohlrabi222
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Tonight I went to the Silk website (White Wave) intending to thank them for making such a great product..particularly Soy Nog! I was a little concerned to find the following on their front page:

"Dairy processor Dean Foods acquired the company in 2002 and boosted White Wave's distribution range when it started loading Silk onto it's direct-to-store delivery trucking network."

So it's made in a dairy?!? Or does it just ride along in the same truck? Either way..sad news to me because I sure looked forward to that yummy Soy Nog during the holidays.

Artichoke47
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Yeah, it's owned by White Wave, but Silk products are vegan.

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I can see where you are coming from...I drink Silk brands too, so now I am supporting the dairy industry by drinking soymilk apparently...That sucks! Grrr...this makes me angry!

I didn't know they were owned by Dean's. On the other hand, it is really great that you can buy Silk at the normal grocery and it is priced accordingly to cow milk. I really like White Wave tofu too, I think it's the best. And their seiten is great too.

I drink vanilla silk, regular silk and silk creamer on a regular basis. silk nog is great at the holidays.

White Wave sponsors National Public Radio here, which is cool too.

And all that stuff about wind powered plants and such, and how they are organic.

I am disapointed, i will have to check this out - off to the silk site!

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Dean Foods Acquisition of White Wave

White Wave has spent 25 years on a mission to creatively lead the full integration of natural soyfoods into the average American diet.

We are pleased to announce that Dean Foods has acquired White Wave. White Wave is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dean Foods.

We are excited about the opportunities this partnership provides. Together, our two companies will bring the sophistication, insight, resources and creativity necessary to further the goals of our mission.

Dean Foods has agreed to provide us with the resources necessary to aggressively pursue our goals, as well as to exponentially grow the White Wave and Silk brands.

White Wave's culture, products and personnel have remained unchanged. We continue to produce the highest quality soyfoods, using organic soybeans that were not produced with the use of biotechnology. The team of creative people that have brought you the Silk and White Wave brands will continue to lead and expand the soyfoods category. Our president and founder, Steve Demos, remains as such.

Our commitment to right livelihood, sustainable agriculture and the building of a new business model is stronger than ever. We are energized by the opportunity we have with Dean Foods to share our philosophy with an even broader group of Americans.

To read the press release, visit Dean Foods Agrees to Purchase White Wave

Answers to Your Questions

Isn't this partnership a sell-out?
No. Dean Foods has embraced White Wave's lifestyle, philosophy and principles-based business model. This collaboration legitimizes the natural foods movement to mainstream America. We haven't “sold out.” Dean Foods has “bought in.” Now, more than ever, we can affect the way the planet eats and drinks. That's been our goal from day one: to change the planet one bite at a time.

Will White Wave products still be made with organic soybeans? Yes. All White Wave products will continue to use organic soybeans that were produced without the use of biotechnology.

Will White Wave products still be suitable for vegans and vegetarians?
Yes. White Wave products will continue to use no animal products or derivatives (except for the honey in our Baked Tofu). White Wave has zero tolerance for dairy in our products. This is still true and will continue to be true.

Can I buy shares of White Wave stock?
No. White Wave is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dean Foods. The Dean Foods stock symbol is DF. You can learn more about Dean Foods at www.deanfoods.com.

Will White Wave be moved to Dean Foods headquarters?
No. White Wave will continue to operate in its Boulder, Colorado headquarters.

Will Steve Demos still be president?
Yes. Steve Demos will still be the president of White Wave.

What kind of changes will occur within the company?
None. White Wave's culture, products and personnel will remain unchanged. White Wave's business model will not be changed nor disrupted, only improved.

What will Dean Foods do with the White Wave and Silk brands?
Dean Foods has embraced the mission, philosophy and business practices of White Wave. Dean will bring the resources necessary for White Wave to aggressively pursue its original goals and mission. Together, our two companies will be able to share our philosophy with a broader group of Americans.

If you have additional questions that have not been answered here, please contact us.

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.deanfoods.com/brands/brands.asp

Dean Foods owns Mountain High and Horizon Organic Dairy. Both are organic cow dairy brands i see at the HFS quite often.

*shakes head* what a shame...