PDA

View Full Version : Bread/bun recipes please??!!

Vegark
Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can share a simple recipe for buns or bread. I am not the best baker that's for sure... but I can follow instructions and I am willing to try :)

Cheers!

twinkle
Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can share a simple recipe for buns or bread. I am not the best baker that's for sure... but I can follow instructions and I am willing to try :)

Cheers!

I am not sure you use the same measurements as me (uk), but for me 1/2 pint lukewarm water, 1 pound bread flour, a teaspoon of yeast, a teaspoon of salt (hah, I wrote water here originally!) and a glug (about 2 tablespoons?) olive oil all mixed together to form a dough, left for 90 minutes in a warmish place to rise, then kneaded again and divided into 8 bread rolls, left to rise for another 90 minutes or so and then baked in a pre-heated oven at around 180 for 12-15 minutes works...

harpy
Nov 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Don't you use any salt, twinkle? Mine sort of overinflates and then collapses if I don't use any :eek: I only use a relatively small amount though, about 2/3 teaspoon for 400g of flour. ETA have just realised your teaspoon of water is probably meant to be a teaspoon of salt otherwise it would get lost among the other water :D

I use a bread maker so I'm not sure how well my recipe would work by hand but I have seen this one in a few places; it seems pretty similar to twinkle's:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread

Mr Flibble
Nov 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I can highly recommend twinkle's baps :thumbsup:

twinkle
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Oh whoops! Yes, a teaspoon of salt too.

Thank you for your endorsement Mr Flibble :p

harpy
Nov 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Rofl!

Vegark
Nov 25th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Thank you so much .. I will try this recipe on the weekend! Wish me luck :satisfied:

harpy
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Let us know how it goes, Vegark! I think people often have to try a couple of times before getting a loaf recipe that suits them, but at least bread almost always turns out edible, even if flat etc.

Sarah_
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I fail at baking. When I want bread I make drop biscuits off the bisquick box.

D'you think with your recipe you could add some rosemary to it? Sounds lovely to me.

Cherry
Nov 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I can highly recommend twinkle's baps :thumbsup:

Yep, I second that!

jasminschade
Nov 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I also think Twinkle's recipe is excellent! Baking is not as hard as it is made out to be. Sure it takes skill, but practice makes perfect! A recipe I make, for a USA/Canada friendly conversion (yield - 2 loaves)
6 cups flour
2.5 cups warm water
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Follow same instructions as twinkle. Instant yeast makes it a lot quicker although I think one should know how to use traditional yeast first to know how bread rising looks/feels.

It should be stated, twinkle's method of WEIGHING baking ingredients is definitely the superior method. Volume can be unreliable sometimes, however I find here in North America we tend to do this less - I could be TOTALLY wrong tho.

Just as an FYI - never worry about making elaborate bread recipes. The most traditional form of bread (aka French bread, like baguettes) only has the 4 basic ingredients: flour, water, yeast, salt. Yup, technically not even sugar.

I learned in Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's book "Joy of Vegan Baking" that French law decrees real, French bread cannot have other ingredients, not even oil.

You can do it! Good luck!