PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cheese

jennyfedei
Nov 29th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I just picked up Joanne Stepaniak's book (The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook) recently. Vegan cheese tends to be very expensive in the health food stores so I was looking for ways to make my own, however, in her book allot of the recipes call for the use of Agar flakes. I picked up a pack of Agar today. All of 11 tablespoons cost me almost $8.00!! Very expensive. It's enough to make two batches of her cheese recipes, but still expensive by the time I add all my other ingredients (such as cashews and nutritional yeast etc..)

I'm looking for Vegan cheese recipes that will go well on top of pizza or casseroles (I like that melty look), however, I don't want to break the bank and I refuse to sacrifice taste. Am I being too greedy here by asking for too much or are there any alternatives out there? If anyone has any good recipes I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. My favorite is cheddar by the way!

Thanks!!
Jenny

RubyDuby
Nov 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Have you tried follow your heart vegan gourmet cheddar? It is around $5 for a block, about even with dairy cheddar.

jennyfedei
Nov 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Have you tried follow your heart vegan gourmet cheddar? It is around $5 for a block, about even with dairy cheddar.

I've seen it at the coop, but it's much higher there and a very small block size.

RangerChic
Dec 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM

That's not too bad price-wise. Is this easy to find at say Whole Foods? I'd love to find a mozzarella for pizzas.

RubyDuby
Dec 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
whole foods should definitely have it.

jennyfedei
Dec 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
That's all good, but what I am actually looking for here is a "recipe" to make my own. It is very expensive to buy it at our co-op here, so that is not an option for me.

harpy
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I would experiment with some of the other Stepaniak recipes, then, Jenny - it's a while since I used her book but I don't think they all need agar. I remember making a fondu type one that didn't include agar, but was oat-based if I remember correctly - maybe something like that could be adapted.

There is an agar-less mozzarella-alike recipe here,
http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/condiments/vegan-mozzarella-cheese - sounds interesting.