PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan chocolate recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3

jennyfedei
Nov 29th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Does anyone out there have any favorite Vegan chocolate recipes? I'm missing chocolate terribly because it's not Vegan and would love to find an alternative.

Thanks,
Jenny

RubyDuby
Nov 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
chocolate is vegan, it's the milk that isn't. :)

Green & Blacks, Maya Gold, Ritter Sport and Endangered Species bars all come in vegan dark chocolate varieties. They are quite expensive, so if you're just looking for a quick cheap chocolate fix I would recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet baking chocolate. Just, obviously, read the ingredients.

eta: many brownie mixes are vegan. Just add a banana instead of the egg and you're good to go. I actually add apple sauce instead of oil or butter too and I think they actually turn out better that way.

jennyfedei
Nov 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't mind if it's expensive.. I still want it! I guess it's funny in a way that I'm not willing to pay premium dollars for vegan cheese, which is why I've opted to make it myself, but I'm willing to pay good money for vegan chocolate!? Priorities!!!

hullabaloo
Nov 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I love love love Organica Faux Milk Chocolate bars, as sold on the veganstore.co.uk.

shellymi2nv
Nov 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
:thumbsup: Endangered Species Mint (or Raspberry) Dark Chocolate.

I have to give them to my son (he hates chocolate - heretic!) to hide them from me or else I will scarf it down within a nano-second.

applepie
Nov 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Lindt 70%, 85%, 90% and 99% dark chocolate are all vegan. Especially the latter is divine!

everdream
Nov 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
^ mmmm 99% is yum! I first found it in france and had great difficulty finding it in England, but I've found it now so I'm well chuffed :D

Buddha Belly
Nov 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mine is the Organica white rice milk bar. Sweet and sickly in excess but really nice.

helen105281
Nov 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I love the organica milk couverture bar too

RubyDuby
Nov 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM
:thumbsup: Endangered Species Mint (or Raspberry) Dark Chocolate.

I have to give them to my son (he hates chocolate - heretic!) to hide them from me or else I will scarf it down within a nano-second.
blueberry for me!

jennyfedei
Nov 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Any good chocolate recipes?

shellymi2nv
Dec 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Any good chocolate recipes?
My favorite:

RAW CHOCOLATE RECIPE

Lay chocolate on counter.
Open wrapper.
Divide chocolate into pieces.
Insert one chocolate piece into mouth.
Savor for 5 minutes.
Repeat until chocolate has disappeared.
Toss (or recycle) wrapper.

Serves 1. Don't worry about calorie/nutrition nonsense.

aubergine
Dec 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hotel Chocolat do a Praline Bar which is Vegan. It is expensive, but worth every penny.

Mr Flibble
Dec 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I don't understand Hotel Chocolat.

Their products are OK, but pricing phenomenal. I've not yet tasted anything from there that I've actually thought to worth anywhere near the price they charge.

Their standard dark chocolate works out at £6 per 100g and tastes less good (imho) than divine which is fair trace and costs 89p per 100g

Bluemew
Dec 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Divine has become more expensive than that recently Mr.F. It went up in price rapidly from 89p for 100g to £1.39 per 100g.

Personaly, I quite like divine over other thinks but the hipo hyfryd truffles yummy.
http://www.hipohyfryd.co.uk/

I really rather want to try these..
http://www.hipohyfryd.co.uk/chocolate_truffles_boxed_single_white_4.php

However they are a bit pricey!

f2097
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Booja Boojas chocolate truffles are where its at. They are a bit more costly than other chocolate, but it is so worth it :)

Last xmas various people all bought me boxes of them, best Christmas ever *drool* I can't go leave anywhere that sells them without getting a couple of boxes :D

Plamil chocolate is pretty good too, especially the orange and mint flavours..

I tend to avoid chocolate from companies that are not 100% vegan because their product will be contaminated with milk.

(Last year there was a whole outcry thing with green & blacks and the vegan society. When milk & dark chocolate share a production line; the contamination of milk in dark chocolate is so high that it has to be listed as an ingredient & on the allergy info. But as its contamination rather than a deliberate ingredient the VS are fine with it - they want more ££££ selling trademarks & more availability of vegan items - green & blacks didn't agree and stopped putting that it was vegan on the labels. 100% vegan companies felt annoyed that this was an erosion of the vegan society and also that it gave no incentive to make stuff 100% vegan.. Its why Plamil don't use the VS trademark anymore.)

hullabaloo
Dec 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried the chocolate making kits from here: http://www.sweetsensations.uk.com/ ?

aubergine
Dec 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't understand Hotel Chocolat.

Their products are OK, but pricing phenomenal. I've not yet tasted anything from there that I've actually thought to worth anywhere near the price they charge.

Their standard dark chocolate works out at £6 per 100g and tastes less good (imho) than divine which is fair trace and costs 89p per 100g

The normal chocolate I'd agree is pretty far from spectacular, these praline things though... They do a huge one but I'm trying to resist the purchase.

JC
Dec 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
The normal chocolate I'd agree is pretty far from spectacular, these praline things though... They do a huge one but I'm trying to resist the purchase.

I think i got given that last year for Christmas. Well, it was H.C, like a big praline log, right? It was gooooooooood. And i got the chocolate smudge too which was also yummo.

But my favourite chocolate is actually the cheapest. I love love love the Humdinger (Sweet William) chocolate buttons. You can buy them in Tesco for like 38p and it's fab for when you just want a little something chocolatey.

Poison Ivy
Dec 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
At the moment its these Bendicks Bitters

http://www.bendicks.co.uk/our-delicious-range/bitters/tube-bitters.html

currently on offer at 99p a tube in Morrisons...bargain!!:)

alisont
Dec 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
At the moment its these Bendicks Bitters

http://www.bendicks.co.uk/our-delicious-range/bitters/tube-bitters.html

currently on offer at 99p a tube in Morrisons...bargain!!:)

Hello those sound rather nice! Shame I dont have a Morrisons to hand:rolleyes: wonder if other shops stock these will look out for those:smile:

everdream
Dec 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
^They're amazing! Yum yum.

buttons
Dec 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I love Cocolo's mint crisp (http://cocolo.com.au/). I can't bring myself to eat non-fairtrade chocolate, I feel too guilty about it:o (much like non-vegan food, I guess).

flying plum
Dec 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
the co-op over here stock an amazing vegan chocolate that is the nicest once i've had - it's really good for making chocolate icing from too. i can't remember the brand, but i'll have a look next time i'm in so you can see if it's available in the states.

does anyone else know? it's the thin black packet with the pink, green and purple cirlces on the front.

amanda

Enchantress
Dec 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
^That's by Kinnerton.