View Full Version : Meat and cancer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

feline01
Jan 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Red meat and cold cuts linked to colorectal cancer
Wednesday, January 12, 2005
BY ANGELA STEWART
Star-Ledger Staff
In the mood for a big, juicy steak? You may not want to make it a habit.

According to a study released today in the Journal of the American Medical Association, eating red and processed meats daily over a number of years could increase the risk of colorectal cancer by as much as 30 to 50 percent.

The study, conducted over a 10-year period by the American Cancer Society, adds substantially to previous scientific evidence linking high consumption of red and processed meats to intestinal cancer. With nearly 150,000 adults participating in the research, it is one of the largest and most comprehensive studies on meat consumption ever undertaken.

"This important study is suggesting that we think very carefully about our diet, but it certainly should not be interpreted as a condemnation of red meat consumption as a whole," said Alfred Ashford, chief medical officer for the society's New Jersey and New York office, who admits even he "occasionally" indulges.

Ashford, a medical oncologist, said people should limit their portion size and choose leaner cuts of red meat, in addition to eating more fish, poultry and fruits and vegetables.

"We do make the assumption that if you modify your behavior you will reduce your risk," said Eugenia E. Calle, senior author of the study and the society's national director of analytic epidemiology.

Calle and her co-authors describe "high" consumption of red meat for men as eating at least three ounces daily over 10 years, a portion equal to a large fast-food burger. For a woman, the amount is two ounces per day over the same time period.

High consumption of processed meat for men was described as at least one ounce per day -- equal to a slice of bologna -- five to six days per week. For women, it would be two to three days per week.

Nicholas Scardigno, 50, owner of Scardigno's Prime Meats in Belleville, said he is in "perfect health," noting he eats not only red meat, but fish, as well as vegetables. He said the same goes for his grandmother, who is now 100 years old and his wife's grandmother, who is 106.

"People's health history is based on the foundation. It starts from the moment you are born and is based on how you eat overall during the course of your entire life," Sacrdigno said yesterday as he served up roast beef and other deli sandwiches for lunchtime customers.

His motto in life: Too much of anything can be bad for you, pointing to fast food as the real culprit here.

The study was based on information reported on meat consumption by 148,610 adults ages 50 to 74 residing in 21 states, including New Jersey. The information was provided to researchers in 1982 and again in 1992-93 while the participants were enrolled in a large cancer prevention trial.

It found that participants who were eating the most red meat at both the beginning and end point of the study were 30 percent more likely to develop cancer in the portion of the colon that attaches to the rectum. Those who ate the most processed meat were 50 percent more likely to develop colon cancer at that site. Overall, men in the study tended to eat higher amounts of red meat than women did.

In addition, the study found that long-term high intake of poultry and fish was associated with overall lower risk of colon cancer, but only marginally.

Colon cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in the United States, killing nearly 56,000 persons per year.

In New Jersey, roughly 4,770 new cases of colon cancer are expected to be diagnosed this year, resulting in 1,840 deaths.

Robert Schechner, 61, a Morristown businessman, learned through a screening test that he had colon cancer almost five years ago. Although he actually had started cutting back on red meat in the late 1970s, Schechner believes his childhood diet may have played a part in his disease.

"My dear sweet, mom served red meat six nights a week. It was chops or some kind of beef or roast," he said.

"Fortunately, substituting pistachio-encrusted salmon and gingered brown basmati pilaf for roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy is not a culinary sacrifice," wrote Walter Willett, from Harvard's School of Public Health, in an editorial accompanying the study.

Angela Stewart writes about health care. She can be reached at astewart@starledger.com or (973) 392-4178.

MzNatural
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks feline! :)
I wonder what the statistics are for vegetarians that eat a lot of processed food? I thought I saw a few articles about that a while ago. They were not that much healthier than those who ate animals if I remember correctly.

feline01
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Of course the article doesn't say that eating no meat is best, just to cut down on red meat. Starting my new lower soy-consumption meal planning, I made an excellent white bean veggie chowder last night for dinner. Created the recipe myself. And I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday etc...

eve
Jan 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Do you ever throw away left-overs feline01? We had a little discussion at the pool the other day, and one guy said that he could never throw any food away, but had to eat it whatever was left. The general consensus was that if he wanted to be a garbage bin, that was his prerogative. But I do understand, and said so, that after being brought up to never waste anything, it took me a long time to get to the point where I prefer to throw away something rather than eat it just for the sake of not wasting!

Roxy
Jan 18th, 2005, 06:10 AM
I try not to throw out leftovers.....but sometimes I just cannot bring myself to eat it. For example, if the left-over salad is soggy and gross, I would rather throw it away than eat it.

My boyfriend however, was brought up similar to you Eve. He won't throw anything out because it's "wasting" it. This, I believe, is part of the reason he struggles with a weight issue.

feline01
Jan 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
With me, it's more about time. I don't have alot of time for meal preparation and no money right now so I tend to make one large pot of something like soup, chili etc. to last a few days for lunches at work. Believe me, after 3 days or so, I'm pretty sick of whatever I had made but I have to be practical right now.

eve
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:22 AM
We don't contribute to the death of all the 'Babes' - Animals Australia's campaign, 'Save Babe' is still underway - see http://www.savebabe.com/

Jane M
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Found this video and just wanted to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q&search=vegan

:D

Korn
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
...and here are some other good links from the people behind that video, Bizarro (http://www.bizarro.com/):

http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_why.htm
http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_cartoons.htm
http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_carnivores.htm
http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_quotes.htm

Onefirefly
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Bizarro is great! Thanks for sharing the vid!:p

Frank
Dec 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Any vegans out there that have successfully fought off cancer of any kind? Did anything work for you?

I know a lady that eats a raw food diet and that seems to be keeping her cancer at bay, God bless her.

Please also look at the second study below - Dairy Products May Increase Testicular Cancer Risk.

Bacon and Skinless Chicken Associated With Bladder Cancer

A new study from the Harvard School of Public Health finds that meat—including chicken—intake is associated with an increased risk for bladder cancer. A data analysis of 47,422 men from the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and 88,471 women from the Nurse’s Health Study showed that individuals consuming more than five servings of bacon each week had a 59 percent increased risk for bladder cancer compared with those who ate no bacon. Additionally, those who ate more than five servings of chicken without skin each week had a 52 percent increase in bladder cancer risk compared with those who ate none. Researchers hypothesize that nitrosamines, heterocyclic amines (known carcinogens), or both may play a role.
Michaud DS, Holick CN, Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ. Meat intake and bladder cancer risk in 2 prospective cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1177-1183.
For information about nutrition and health, please visit http://www.pcrm.org/.

Dairy Products May Increase Testicular Cancer Risk

A new study from Germany shows that dairy product consumption may increase the risk of testicular cancer. Researchers at the University of Halle-Wittenberg tracked dietary contributors to testicular cancer among 269 men with cancer and 797 control subjects. The risk for testicular cancer was increased by 37 percent for those who consumed at least 20 servings of milk per month. The researchers hypothesize that increased galactose (a component of lactose, the milk sugar) and milk fat may explain the association between dairy product consumption and cancer.
Stang A, Ahrens W, Baumgardt-Elms C, et al. Adolescent Milk Fat and Galactose Consumption and Testicular Germ Cell Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006;15(11):2189-2195.
For information about nutrition and health, please visit http://www.pcrm.org/.

Frank
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Red meat 'linked to breast cancer'

ITN - Wednesday, April 4

Red meat can greatly increase the risk of breast cancer, according to a report.

The study found post-menopausal women who eat large amounts a day could be 64 per cent more likely to suffer the disease. There is also an increased chance in younger females who have small amounts of beef, pork or lamb daily.

The study, led by Professor Janet Cade of the University of Leeds, involved studying the diets of 35,000 women aged between 35 and 69 for eight years.
The research states: "Women, both pre and post-menopausal, who consumed the most meat had the highest risk of breast cancer.

"Women generally consuming most total meat, red and processed meat were at the highest increased risk compared with non-meat consumers." The women completed 217-item food questionnaires and were divided into three groups depending on whether they were low, medium or high meat-eaters.
They were compared with women in the study who were vegetarian and researchers also took into account smoking, weight, fruit and vegetable intake, education, age and use of hormone replacement therapy.

Prof Cade said: "The findings are robust. Whatever we adjusted the data for we could find an association. "Really these results could apply to all women. At home I have cut down on the amount of red meat we eat as a family a week. "I am not suggesting that everyone should become a vegetarian, that would be unrealistic, but the findings were strong and I think we should pay attention to them."

The study was dismissed as "rubbish" by Sandy Crombie, chairman of the Scottish region of The Guild of Q Butchers, who pointed out that 56g of meat was roughly half a quarter-pound burger. He said: "Two ounces is absolutely tiny. I have never heard such rubbish, it's a tiny amount. "This is ridiculous, it's silly, it's barely worth talking about."

harpy
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The study was dismissed as "rubbish" by Sandy Crombie, chairman of the Scottish region of The Guild of Q Butchers, who pointed out that 56g of meat was roughly half a quarter-pound burger. He said: "Two ounces is absolutely tiny. I have never heard such rubbish, it's a tiny amount. "This is ridiculous, it's silly, it's barely worth talking about."

:rolleyes: Not sure I follow this line of argument!

sandra
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM
How much more proof do people need that animals are not meant to be eaten?
I don't see any government campaigns advocating eating '5 portions of meat' a day to be healthy. What is it the adverts suggest? Oh, yes 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day..........isn't that what we vegans do already? :)

Purple
Jul 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Found some interesting articles on the BBC news for those that wish to read them.

Western Diet: Foods high in meat, white bread, milk and puddings puts asian women at risk of breast cancer (no shit!?).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6284830.stm

"An additive used in some sausages and burgers could cause cancer, food safety experts have warned."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6286834.stm

aubergine
Jul 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
So they eat more meat and dairy, but obesity is the key?

Hmm... Sometimes the obvious is too hard for some people to accept.

Purple
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah I saw that bit.

It's so obvious when you can see it, and frustrating at the same time. *rolls eyes*.

Milk, white bread, meat and pudding, and they're saying that's not the issue? -sigh-

!!
Jul 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM
i thought they would come to the conclusion that it was the diet... :confused:

"Overall it is hard to determine the effects of diet on breast cancer risk," said Dr Sarah Cant, Senior Policy Officer at the charity.
We still aren't sure which specific dietary factors influence the chance of developing the disease."

Maybe, just maybe, it's all the meat and dairy.

Hemlock
Mar 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/31/nsausage131.xml

This has been in the Daily Mail today also and is all over the internet. Sad thing is no one says give it up altogether presumably because that would be too "extreme", more extreme than getting cancer no doubt:confused: It's all, "cut down".
Another scientific study (sorry - lost link in the computer ether) says the combination of these type of meats and dairy is even more deadly. There is no mention of veganism tho' because presumably they would all rather be dead than go vegan.
Lets hope some articles about veganism follow with photos of beautiful vegan people included:)

Jiffy
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM
I was going to bring this up earlier, but I figured that with the prevailing political wind, admitting to reading the Daily Mail would get one lynched.

emmapresley
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:10 PM
it was in the haaaaaaaa mirror as well. i brought it up at work and the whole subject was swiftly manipulated into an entirely different discussion one about how what actually causes bowel cancers isn't eating processed meat, but that we aren't as active as 50 years ago or something. ok.

*oh..by someone who is partial to a bacon sarnie.

cedarblue
Mar 31st, 2008, 07:30 PM
yes i heard this on the radio. a guy was saying 'we can't eat ham, salami sausage, any processed meats - what on earth am i going to put in my packed lunches from now on?'

what indeed ?? :D

sugarmouse
Mar 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Ah good let them carry on eatin them,itll get rid of some of the imbeciles at least.:rolleyes:;)
I am sure it wont affect many.As EmmaPres says, theyll just do the denial thing and carry on.
Ugh I hate humans.:mad:

aubergine
Apr 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM
I was going to bring this up earlier, but I figured that with the prevailing political wind, admitting to reading the Daily Mail would get one lynched.

There's nothing wrong with the Daily Mail as such, and they certainly have their fair share of daring articles about health (i.e. mentioning vegan themes in a positive light).

I think the stereotype of Mail readers is because in towns like mine there appears to take the tabloid hysteria that often graces it's pages as gospel. Oh the stories I could tell you...

Nyphur
Apr 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm always disappointed when I hear about health problems associated with diet because a lot of people are going to die from them when it could be prevented :(.

The oddest part is how people's ego works against them. The ego is something we need, it helps us function and lets us know that we're competant. It has the annoying side-effect of making us think that bad things happen to other people and not ourselves. Not to say that people think they're immortal but you never think that you'll get cancer or be hit by a bus even though you're just as human as everyone else and have the same chances as they do. Ask anyone what they think they'll die of and at what age, I bet you get very few people saying heart disease in their fifties or cancer in their sixties but statistically those are the most likely causes of death in developed countries and death from them at early ages is not uncommon.

If I saw conclusive proof that eating carrots increased risk of cancer or heart disease significantly, you're damn right I'd stop eating carrots. But show someone an article about how meat can cause bowel cancer and they just don't quite grasp the fact that they could be one of the guys that gets cancer.