PDA

View Full Version : Best vegan brand?

Shivles
Dec 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
What are your favorite vegan brand names in the UK and what do they sell? Im trying to get as many products in my head as I can since im still new to this and have trouble finding stuff :)

I like

Original Source: shower gel, shampoo etc
Cauldron: tofu
Alpro soya: soy milk, yogurt etc.
Barry M: make-up
Lush: soap, shampoo, moisturisers, body glitter bars etc

Mr Flibble
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Cauldron are probably one of my least favourite tofu makers. Taifun and Clearspot are far better.

harpy
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Plamil and Redwood are both handy brandnames to remember because they only make vegan stuff so you don't have to read the labels for once.

Plamil http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/products/
Redwoods http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/

Senza
Dec 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
My favourite tofu is made by an Edinburgh company called Engine Shed (http://www.theengineshed.org/).

Another Edinburgh based company called Jordan Valley (http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2009/11/jordan-valley-foods-saleh-safi/) make all sorts of vegan treats for sale in glasgow and edinburgh at least.

I pretty much always have some of Provamel's blueberry yoghurt in the fridge too..

leedsveg
Dec 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The price of Cauldron tofu in Morrisons seemed to go up overnight from £1-09p to £1-58 overnight and I'm not sure why.

The prices of Tofutown/Viana products sold in the Out of this World store in Leeds have also rocketed over the last few months. An assistant explained that 'It's because they're made in Germany and the sterling/euro exchange rate is poor.' Maybe, but not as poor as that.

lv

Shivles
Dec 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I learned recently a lot of superdrug own brand stuff is vegan! Makes my life so much easier x

The Lurker
Dec 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Bute Island make a lot of vegan cheese but vegan cheese is so hit and miss that I'm not making any recommendations - their garlic & herb is faaaaaaaaar better than tofutti though

Original Source and Lush are excellent for toileteries

Nakd Bars - yum

Redwood and Fry's are great too

Swedish Glace for ice cream etc

Daffodil
Dec 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Bute Island make a lot of vegan cheese but vegan cheese is so hit and miss that I'm not making any recommendations - their garlic & herb is faaaaaaaaar better than tofutti though

Original Source and Lush are excellent for toileteries

Nakd Bars - yum

Redwood and Fry's are great too

Swedish Glace for ice cream etc

Are all Lush products vegan then? I emailed them a few years ago to ask and they said they were vegetarian and where possible organic but they try to keep their carbon footprint low so if they can get a non-vegan/non-organic product easier then they will use that instead.

helen105281
Dec 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
No but lots of them are and the ones that are have the vegan society logo on them.

Daffodil
Dec 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
No but lots of them are and the ones that are have the vegan society logo on them.

ok thanks for the information.... I will check their website later :-) I love their stuff - smells so nice.

helen105281
Dec 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I recommend the Fabulous Mrs Fox bubble bar they are selling at the mo, Proceeds go to the Hunt Sabs. They are also doing something for Sea Shepherd.

mchelle81
Dec 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
yeah how come the cauldron tofu goes up in price overnight went in other day sainsburys it was £1.49 went in next day it was £2.19 ??? today its £1.99

Buddha Belly
Dec 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The Kikoman soy sauce was worse in Sainsbury's.
First week £1
Second week £1.33 ok then introductury price, so gone up
Third week £1.69 WTF?

My fav is swdish glace

The Lurker
Dec 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
sometimes the cauldron tofu is a different price in the main tesco as it is in the nutri centre which is also tesco - they must have a schitzophrenic price setter allocated to tofu . . .

Mr Flibble
Dec 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM
world soya bean shortage?

The Lurker
Dec 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM
world soya bean shortage?

that'll be it - they change the price on an ongoing basis using global commodity prices ticker taped into the store room at the back of the shop . . . .

mchelle81
Dec 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
or trying to see how much we are willing to pay for it :)

Troutina
Dec 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Redwoods is always a clear winner for meat replacement.
Be Never 2 Busy To Be Beautiful for make up.
Organica for chocolate. Nana's bakery cookies.
Alpro Soya yogurt.

HotSquirrel
Dec 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Skincare - Faith in Nuture
Body and hair care - Yoah!
Cosmetics - BWC (their waterproof mascara is the best ever)

Beans, pulses, oats, nuts etc - Tree of Life
Tofu - Clearspot
Soya milk - Provmel
Chocolate - Montezuma & Organica
Meat & diary substitutes - Redwood (my cats totally agree)

johnb
Dec 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Chocolate, its got to be Booja Booja,
Ice cream, Swedish galce, or Booja Booja as a Treat

Tofu Monkey
Dec 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Milks/Yoghurts - Alpro
Ice Cream - Swedish Glace
Meat replacements - Redwoods
Toiletries - Lush, Faith in Nature
Chocolate - Whoever does the Twilight/Jokerz bars

twinkle toes
May 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
although lush is really expensive, i think its great that they give you free samples all the time. today i left the shop with three shampoo samples, a bar of soap and some shower jelly stuff :)