PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

rainbow
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM
VeganStore (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=055&Category_Code=002) are selling Teese now.
Hey, snap! I came on here to say that! We must both have got the same email from them! :)

Risker
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Pretty pricey though!

Firestorm
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hey, snap! I came on here to say that! We must both have got the same email from them! :)

I ordered some within an hour of getting the email! It is expensive as Risker says but it's a bit bigger than other vegan cheeses (283 gram)

jackrabbitfreedom
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cashew Cheese is the way to go! I love cashew cheese and use it all the time. The cool thing about it is you can change it up in a million different ways to suit the food you are eating it with. Also, I would imagine it is a bit healthier eating a cashew cheese which is made from whole foods by you instead of processed food made of isolated substances. If anyone wants to check it out, I have a cashew cheese recipe on my blog that I use all the time. Yummy stuff! If you do check it out, I would love to know what you think. Love, Peace, and Candy Grease!

Creamy Cashew Cheese Recipe:
http://veganinthevan.blogspot.com/2012/06/creamy-cashew-cheese.html

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

KattJohnson
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
thank you for your input on the vegan friendly cheese :) can you incorporate tofu into the cheese (i'm a brand new vegan and i've only used tofu one time in my stir fry, i don't really know many cooking techniques for it)

Firestorm
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I've made cashew cheese in the past and its well worth the effort but I don't think adding tofu would be good (one of the benefits of cashew cheese is that its soy free:-)).
There are lots of recipes online for using tofu, a few of my favourites are tofu bacon, quiche and tofu in blackbean sauce but personally I prefer the texture of tempeh and seitan.

KattJohnson
Jun 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM
i shall have to investigate, thank you.

Barry
Jun 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
So I finally had some Daiya when I was over in the States. I had it in three different sandwiches in a vegan sandwich place in NYC and I loved it. It was melted in all three, and I thought the taste and texture were both really good

Rose Braverman
Jun 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I looked up your recipe for cashew cheese and am going to get myself some cashews and try. You mention that one of the benefits it that it is soy free. Are there problems with soy? Aloha.:-)

Firestorm
Jun 5th, 2012, 11:38 AM
You mention that one of the benefits it that it is soy free. Are there problems with soy? Aloha.:-)

:-)Personally I don't think there are problems with soy (except some people are allergic), but a great deal of processed vegan products are made from soy (cheese, mock meats, milks, creams, ice creams, fish, chocolate) and I feel that too much of anything is not great for you so I actively try to put some soy free alternatives into my diet such as rice, oat, hazelnut, almond products etc.

There is far more discussion about it in these threads:
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?626-Is-soya-bad-for-our-health-and-do-we-actually-need-soya&highlight=soya
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27194-Is-soya-bad-for-men&highlight=soya

I looked up your recipe for cashew cheese
I just wanted to point out that this is Jackrabbitfreedom's recipe, not mine:-)

Rose Braverman
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification and thanks to Jackrabbitfreedom for the recipe. You make a good point about soy being used so much, I agree. I will check out the threads. :-)

Rose Braverman
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Good to hear your validation on Daiya. It sounds like something good to try. It wasn't available through my local healthfood store, so I checked Amazon. They had it listed but they say they will alert when it is available. I don't know if Amazon has the same products in Europe as it does in the states, but thought I would let you know.

jackrabbitfreedom
Jun 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM
thank you for your input on the vegan friendly cheese :) can you incorporate tofu into the cheese (i'm a brand new vegan and i've only used tofu one time in my stir fry, i don't really know many cooking techniques for it)

Adding tofu might work, but would probably mess with the texture and taste in bad ways. I'm not a huge tofu fan, mostly because of the way soy affects your Thyroid gland. Soy has more or less become my guilty pleasure; almost all vegan junk food is made with it...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the clarification and thanks to Jackrabbitfreedom for the recipe....:-)

You're Welcome Rose:o. Hope you like it.... and most of all, have fun making it your own.

ScarletMask
Jul 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Daiya is great, but I find it to be only good when it's melted.

TarekF
Jul 30th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have decided to give a few vegan cheeses a try, I want to try Dr. Cow's Tree Nut Cheeses from VE, and gonna try Parma from there too. I want to give Daiya a shot as well, cause i hear amazing things from it.

Anyone try these?

Im not usually big on replacements but I have no issues with them and think its amazing how creative people are with these products, so thought id finally give it a try. Ill post what i find with the Dr. Cow's Cheese and Parma. Just gonna find some Daiya in a supermarket.

yo-yo
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM
I have decided to give a few vegan cheeses a try, I want to try Dr. Cow's Tree Nut Cheeses from VE, and gonna try Parma from there too. I want to give Daiya a shot as well, cause i hear amazing things from it.

Anyone try these?

Im not usually big on replacements but I have no issues with them and think its amazing how creative people are with these products, so thought id finally give it a try. Ill post what i find with the Dr. Cow's Cheese and Parma. Just gonna find some Daiya in a supermarket.

ooh, not heard of either of those, not sure if they're available in uk.
The best I've tasted is No-Muh, but never actually bought any.
I normally get the soy-free Cheezly. mmm...yum. My omni friend loves it, which is great! And the pepperjack one is great too.

Barry
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Anyone try these?

I think the best thing to do would be to approach all vegan cheese with low expectations. Don't expect any of them to really taste like cheese and you probably won't be disappointed. That said, I do really like Cheezly and Daiya.

TarekF
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I didn't like the Dr. Cow's Cheese, but it was shipped with a cold pack, so perhaps it just wasn't very fresh or went bad slightly. Not that it tasted horrible, just wasn't my cup of tea.

The Parma is really good. It doesn't taste like parmesan that much but i really love the walnut, nutritional yeast and himalayan salt mix that they have. It smells quite like parmesan though.

MagicMegyn
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ive not tried alot of vegan cheese, only cheezly and the sheese but i find this one the best and havent changed yet

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/tofutti_vegan_cheese_slices_mozzarella_style.html

Robinwomb
Aug 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
As others in this thread have done, I recently made my own homemade cashew cheese with blended cashews, lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast, garlic and onion powders, cayenne, agar flakes, and a few other ingredients I can't think of off hand. It turned out beautifully textured and I was able to slice it and put it in sandwiches. It doesnt taste like traditional cheese, but the texture is close and it still tastes great in it's own way. I love this cashew cheese but then I am not a fan of regular cheese (I was also lactose intolerant and the horrid cramps I used to get scared me away from even craving cheese years ago). I still have not tried any vegan cheeses other than that. My sister on the otherhand, who is now vegetarian and trying to work on becoming vegan, loves cheese and is trying all the vegan cheeses on the market, one by one. I'll have to report on what she likes. She is a very finicky eater.

bunnyturtle
Aug 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Ive not tried alot of vegan cheese, only cheezly and the sheese but i find this one the best and havent changed yet

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/tofutti_vegan_cheese_slices_mozzarella_style.html

Have you tried to melt it? I've tried the cheddar style, and I don't like it much. For now, I'm just using it up combined with other stuff, so I don't have to taste it much. Same for Cheezly Mozzarella style. Says it would melt, but didn't on my pizza. Will try it grated again though, had only sliced it. Maybe it was still too chunky to melt. Cheese wouldn't be the reason for me to go back to vegetarian, but I still really miss cheese. I was a cheese queen lol :/ Cheese sauce was easy to replace by a sweet potato-coconut recipe.

MagicMegyn
Aug 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Have you tried to melt it? I've tried the cheddar style, and I don't like it much. For now, I'm just using it up combined with other stuff, so I don't have to taste it much. Same for Cheezly Mozzarella style. Says it would melt, but didn't on my pizza. Will try it grated again though, had only sliced it. Maybe it was still too chunky to melt. Cheese wouldn't be the reason for me to go back to vegetarian, but I still really miss cheese. I was a cheese queen lol :/ Cheese sauce was easy to replace by a sweet potato-coconut recipe.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried to melt it? I've tried the cheddar style, and I don't like it much. For now, I'm just using it up combined with other stuff, so I don't have to taste it much. Same for Cheezly Mozzarella style. Says it would melt, but didn't on my pizza. Will try it grated again though, had only sliced it. Maybe it was still too chunky to melt. Cheese wouldn't be the reason for me to go back to vegetarian, but I still really miss cheese. I was a cheese queen lol :/ Cheese sauce was easy to replace by a sweet potato-coconut recipe.<BR><BR>

I havent tried to melt it no, so I have no idea if it will melt, also I to found it hard to give up chese as I loved it so much. HOWEVER, I went to a vegan fate the weekend and I tried this cheese
http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/no-moo-cheese/4-no-moo-piquant-7640144054038.html
AND SERIOUSLY CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT, ITS LUSH LUSH LUSH LUSH LUSH!!!!!!!!!

You must try it!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

They also do a melt one

http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/no-moo-cheese/6-no-moo-melty-7640144054052.html

Rissa
Sep 27th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I love Daiya's cheese! It melts really well and has a great texture.

Andy_T
Sep 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
On Pizza, I like the Chicago Soy Dairy's "Teese", especially the mozzarella style. It does not melt well when you put it on top of things (here Daiya is much better, but unfortunately not available in Europe), but I have had very good results with putting it directly on the pizza and putting the toppings (tomatoes) on top of it – then it melts well and forms a layer of melted cheese.

In Germany, there’s a new product called “Wilmersburger” that is quite good – there are two varieties, one similar to Daiya “Pizza melt” and now very recently also slices that are incredibly close to cow cheese. Don’t know if that is also available in other European countries.

Best regards,
Andy

Barry
Sep 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I am absolutely loving the Vegusto hard cheeses at the moment. They're the first ones I've had that actually taste like real cheese.