PDA

View Full Version : Hoummous going fizzy??

rainbowcarousel
Dec 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
This is probably a stupid question but can Hoummous go off before the best before date? :confused: I have had a few pots recently that have lots of air bubbles in them, and I swear they don't taste quite right, but it could all be in my head. It sounds like the hoummous fizzes when you put the knife into the pot to scoop it out :eek:

The last few pots I've bought from both Tesco and Waitrose have the air bubbles right from purchase. But I've also had plenty of hoummous without bubbles.

Ideas?

harpy
Dec 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have had fizzy hummus - I haven't studied it systematically but I think it's either been after it's reached the sell-by date or perhaps if it has been allowed to get warm at some point, e.g. because I forgot to put the shopping away for a few hours :o I don't recall ever buying it in that state though.

I seem to remember that most of the supermarkets get their hummus from a single supplier so if that supplier had had e.g. distribution problems then I suppose more than one brand might be affected.

I don't think I have suffered any ill-effects from tasting it after it's gone fizzy but obviously it's not the way hummus is meant to be.

Risker
Dec 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
That's a definite bin job.

Mahk
Dec 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
^ Agreed.

Some foods when they go bad (which, yes, can sometimes be before the expiration date) simply taste bad, while others can make you sick such as food poisoning or even kill you such as botulism and aflatoxin, common to peanut butter and certain other nuts.

When in doubt,
Throw it out.

Marrers
Dec 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Anything can be off before it's use by date - as harpy says it is all about how it is stored (maybe before it even gets to you). You should never go by the use by date alone.

fondducoeur
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have had this happen to me before. Fizzy is a good way to describe it...it really surprised me the first time. It was definitely when it was going bad when this happened...I tried to eat it and it, but had to throw it out.

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry, to clarify I wouldn't go on eating it after discovering that it's fizzy, but I have never felt ill as a result of the first mouthful.

If you've brought it straight home and put it straight in the fridge and found it's like that, you could try taking it back and asking for a replacement.

rainbowcarousel
Dec 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. I thought it was unnatural but because the current hoummous on the shelf is like that in 2 supermarkets I thought I was being fussy. I've thrown out a lot of hoummous recently for this reason. I can't bear to eat it, it just feels wrong.

Will source an alternative supplier (I know I could make my own but I don't have the time this side of christmas!!).

Marrers
Dec 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
It sounds like the hoummous fizzes when you put the knife into the pot to scoop it out . . .
The last few pots I've bought from both Tesco and Waitrose have the air bubbles right from purchase.
To clarify I don't think air bubbles are a problem, I'd only worry if it tastes fizzy.

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
To clarify I don't think air bubbles are a problem, I'd only worry if it tastes fizzy.

Agreed - bubbles could get in e.g. when their giant food-processer equivalent stirs the stuff.

I think the fizzy taste may mean it's started to ferment - I have had other things that tasted the same, e.g. bean salad left out too long :p

rainbowcarousel
Dec 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
The first time I noticed the bubbles was after making up a toasted sandwich and thinking it tasted funny, so I checked the date on the pot and noticed the bubbles. I think unfortunately now I associate bubbles = off, I probably need to do a blind test on myself to see if I really can taste the difference :rolleyes: Then again, won't do me any harm to cut back on it, I can binge on it if I'm not careful, I adore toasted hoummous and lettuce sandwiches.

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
It's not just the odd bubble, the hummus tends to look almost frothy when it goes like this, and it has a lighter texture. (Can you tell I've had a lot of experience with gone-off hummus? :D)

herbwormwood
Dec 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Most likely it has been fermenting, which means it has gone off.
Usually you can smell a funny smell from it. It could give you an upset tummy if you ate it. Bloating, gas and possibly diarrhoea.
It has been stored too warm or too long after opening.