PDA

View Full Version : sub for Condensed Milk?

Pages : [1] 2

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi :)

Can anyone tell me what I can use as a substitute for Condensed Milk please?.

My son will be making Digestive Fudge this week at school and I can easily veganise the recipe, except for the Condensed Milk which I haven't dealt with before, never having made vegan fudge.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:.

Risker
Dec 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Can't you just condense some vegan milk?

Mr Flibble
Dec 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
This has been discussed several times before, but in short: it won't work.

Lactose reacts differently on heating (maillard reaction) to sucrose (caramalisation), thus adding it to soya/coconut/rice milk will not give you the desired effect.

The easiest option you have is to use Cherry's millionares shortbread recipe for the filling.

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
oh poo.

Mr Flibble
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Partly depends what you're trying to do with it of course. What is the whole recipe? If you're not heating the condensed milk then another susbstitute may be easier.

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM
here's the recipe:

100g marg
100g sugar
100g crushed digestive biccies
15ml syrup
1 sml tin condensed milk
100g chocolate

melt marg & sugar in pan
add syrup & milk
bring slowly to boil
boil til brown in colour
remove, beat til bubbles subside
stir in crushed biscuits
spread in tin
cool
melt choc and spread over fudge

Cherry
Dec 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hmm.

(Mr Flibble, are you insulting my caramel recipe!? Admittedly, I had a few 'Oh no, it's turned to fudge!' disasters whilst perfecting it, but I think it usually works now :p)

Cobweb, I'd use a tablespoon or two of that soyatoo whipping cream. Or even alpro single cream. Maybe you could have a trial run first?

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
A trial run sounds a good idea - am just imagining CW's son feeling embarrassed if his version doesn't come out right.

I wonder whether he could use something else for that layer instead of the fudge. Peanut butter might be nice - mind you peanut butter is nice in almost anything.

Fudge seems quite a difficult thing for children to make in class anyway, what with all the boiling of sugar etc.

Mr Flibble
Dec 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Mr Flibble, are you insulting my caramel recipe!?

On the contrary, I was recommending it as an easy alternative.

Cherry
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I know, I'm only joking :)

I don't think the idea is that there's a separate layer of fudge, I get the idea that the recipe is for a cross between chocolate biscuit cake and fudge. I think the cream might work because as Harpy says, you just need sugar and liquid to make actual fudge, so with all the sugar in that recipe I think you might just need something creamy and wet to boil it all together with.

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
thanks

i was wondering about using soyatoo but i didn't know what would happen to it if boiled?

also, i agree, its a stupid thing for kids to make at school - and this is only their third cookery lesson. It would have been better to teach them something nutritionally useful really, and i can remember making non-vegan fudge and how difficult it was.

you're right, Cherry, the biscuits are mixed completely in with the fudge - weird eh???

Cherry
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yeh, though I have to say, I'm quite intrigued. I do have a wee bit of a sweet tooth though.

Soyatoo is fine when it's boiled. I use it to make caramel. Let us know what happens!

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
OIC.

Look on the bright side, Cobweb - at least they're not making deep-fried Mars Bars ;)

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
OIC.

Look on the bright side, Cobweb - at least they're not making deep-fried Mars Bars ;)

not this time anyway :rolleyes:
i'm sure we'll get to the Haggis and Clapshot though, and he's already made Oatcakes - even though Orcadians don't like to think of themselves as Scottish :bandanna:

the first lesson all started so promisingly with Lentil Soup aswell..........

my husband says just tell the teacher he can't do this one but i hate to give anyone the idea that we can't veganise everything :o
i might do a trial run but it's a pain in the butt this week as i already have party food including cakes to make for a Christmas thing at school :rollseyes_ani:.

Poison Ivy
Dec 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
If anyone is ever feeling extravagant Pangea do tins of condensed soya milk (and a soya dulce du leche)

http://www.veganstore.com/973c.html

mariana
Dec 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Not sure about the digestive biscuits.....but plain old vegan chocolate fudge is really easy to make! I wonder if you could just stir crushed digestive biscuits into the mix....?

4 cups powdered sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup nondairy milk
2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
½ cup vegan chocolate chips (or ½ cup chopped up chocolate bar)

Spray a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan well with nonstick spray and set aside

Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together into a large mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips, and set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the nondairy milk and margarine to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. When the milk is at a steady, strong boil, pour it over the powdered sugar mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined and the heat has melted the chocolate chips.

Spread the fudge out into the prepared pan and refrigerate for a day or more to solidify.

herbwormwood
Dec 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi :)

Can anyone tell me what I can use as a substitute for Condensed Milk please?.

My son will be making Digestive Fudge this week at school and I can easily veganise the recipe, except for the Condensed Milk which I haven't dealt with before, never having made vegan fudge.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:.

Alpro soya cream is similar in consistency to evap milk but I have never used it in a recipe, just to pour over puddings. If you just want your son to be able to blend in with the other kids I suggest you send a little box of soya cream with him, he can blame the teacher if it doesn't turn out well.

cobweb
Dec 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Alpro soya cream is similar in consistency to evap milk but I have never used it in a recipe, just to pour over puddings. If you just want your son to be able to blend in with the other kids I suggest you send a little box of soya cream with him, he can blame the teacher if it doesn't turn out well.

:lol:
unfortunately i often can't get hold of the Alpro cream but can get the Soyatoo
i've decided not to do a trial run, just send him in with the stuff, i'm sure i will eat it even if it doesn't come out quite right! :p:o

thanks for the replies, i will post up what we use in the end and how it turns out :thumbsup:

harpy
Dec 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Heh, I reckon herbwormwood has the right idea about pinning it on the teacher.

Do report back, if it works I reckon we'll all be trying it :D

cobweb
Dec 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
well the mixture was made today - it hasn't set into a 'proper' fudge consistency but it does take fudge-like. It's like a very rich topping from a 'millionaire's shortbread'. I spread some over a plain digestive and it was bloomin' marvellous! :p

sandra
Dec 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
That does sound lovely Cobweb! :)

Now you've put me in the notion for some. :rolleyes: :D

cobweb
Dec 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
help yourself its in the fridge!
(*and check on my spag bog while you're in the kitchen will you?, ta*)

sandra
Dec 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ooooooo.......the spag bol is delicious Cobweb and I helped myself to some fresh orange juice while I was there too...........hope you don't mind! :thumbsup: :D

xrodolfox
Dec 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
OMG!!!!

Vegan dulce de leche!!!!!

That is the *only* thing I ever miss as a vegan. I've tried for ages to make it at home but failed. This is going to be what I ask for x-mas for. I am so EXCITED!!!!!!
http://www.veganstore.com/index.html?stocknumber=973D

cobweb
Dec 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ooooooo.......the spag bol is delicious Cobweb and I helped myself to some fresh orange juice while I was there too...........hope you don't mind! :thumbsup: :D

make yourself at home :rolleyes:
:bigsmile: