PDA

View Full Version : Roller derby!

Sarah_
Dec 20th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I am seriously considering joining a roller derby team here in the city I live in. I think it'd give me a lot of things I feel like I'm lacking right now, plus it'd be really fun. Problem is I don't really know anything about it besides the basics of the game. Has anybody else played this, and how'd they like it if so?
Let's talk derby!

PS, has anyone got any idea what the difference is between speed skates and derby skates? I've got to pick up a pair but I don't know which ones I should get, or what the difference is.

Buddha Belly
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I wish I could play, i'm crap on skates. There was a female team in Cambridge and I LOVED watching roller jam on TV. It's been off the air for a few months here and I never realised it was all old stuff. I would like to go to a few bouts when the next season carries on in the new year in London. Not sure even if Helen likes it.

Good luck with it

Sarah_
Dec 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I'm crap on skates as well but here they have classes for cheap to teach you the basics and then there's a derby basics class you take. And if you take those classes you get to take their fitness class for free. It's really quite awesome.

Big Good Wolf
Dec 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM
One of the London Rollergirls posts on Vegan Fitness and will be travelling to the US soon with the team.
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324084&highlight=#324084
She'd probably be the best person to talk to about this.

paranoidangel
Dec 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Sarah! I play roller derby! I've been looking for other vegans who are into the sport. Anyways, I think it's a great thing to look into. I have never been very coordinated, self-confident, or good at any team sports, but derby helped me through all of that! I've been playing for a little over a year now. It's definitely the best thing I've ever done. If you have any questions let me know!

Sarah_
Jan 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
One of the London Rollergirls posts on Vegan Fitness and will be travelling to the US soon with the team.
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324084&highlight=#324084
She'd probably be the best person to talk to about this.
Ooh, thanks very much for that!

buttons
Jan 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
If I were better on skates and less afraid of falling over, I would join up. It looks like fun!

Hel
Jan 14th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I play! any other UK skaters on here?

FatPassionFishPoet
Jan 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know much about it, but roller derby is something I've wanted to do for AGES!!! Looks like SO much fun!

No idea where I could go to do it...I'll probably look into it more when I move next year.

Someone tell me how amazing it is, and I'll be more motivated to look around ;) :p

missbettie
Jan 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
i really want to do it too...but i'm scared. lol

Hel
Jan 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I don't know much about it, but roller derby is something I've wanted to do for AGES!!! Looks like SO much fun!

No idea where I could go to do it...I'll probably look into it more when I move next year.

Someone tell me how amazing it is, and I'll be more motivated to look around ;) :p

hi whereabouts are you? there are loads of leagues in the uk now, new ones popping up each week it seems!

if you are not sure about skating there are other ways to be involved, teams are always needing NSO's (non skating officials) its a great way to get a grasp of the game before deciding if skating is for you or not.

FatPassionFishPoet
Jan 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Awesome, I'm right down in East Sussex. Do you Eastbourne and Hastings? I'm pretty much in the middle! Not sure if there's anywhere around here :S

I'll probably be moving up to Kent/London/Middlands next year for uni, though :p It might be more realistic to look for next year, since there's more people, and, I'd assume, more likelihood of the sport :p

Hel
Jan 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Well if you go to lincoln uni i can recommend Lincolnshire bombers roller girls! ;-) sponsored by motorhead dont you know!

What skates has everyone got? Im in r3s as its the only vinyl riedell easy to get in the uk but id love some divines! Getting some atom g rods soon woop!