PDA

View Full Version : Meatballs - what to use to bind them?

hullabaloo
Dec 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Okay so for New Year my family are having meatballs. Now my Dad wants to make me a vegan alternative so I will be eating "the same" as everyone else. He will be using meat-free mince that you can buy in supermarkets and has asked me what he can use to replace the egg for binding them together? Egg replacer is out as don't have any and not sure if we can find any here. What would you suggest is best to use?

Sluggie
Dec 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
If you can buy it there, a spoonful of ground flax seed mixed with water would work.

glovesforfoxes
Dec 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
1 tablespoon of ground flax seed for every 4 tbs of water. Replaces one egg. Don't use more than 1 tsbp though - it'll have a weird taste if you put too much in.

cedarblue
Dec 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
sometimes after frying up the vegan mince, i whizz some up in the processor to a pate type consistency and then mix this with the drier ingredients - it seems to hold everything together quite well.

hullabaloo
Dec 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys

kokopelli
Dec 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Flour is pretty good too, especially if the mince is damp / slightly wet, it will hold together well with a bit of flour mixed in. Just stir it in a bit at a time until you can form it into balls.

Ruby Rose
Dec 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I also use whizzed up cold cooked sticky rice. And/or tomato ketchup.

E0nadia0
May 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Flour is pretty good too, especially if the mince is damp / slightly wet, it will hold together well with a bit of flour mixed in. Just stir it in a bit at a time until you can form it into balls.
This has seemed to work for me,too.

RubyDuby
May 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
wheat gluten