PDA

View Full Version : MRI scan

Prawnil
Jan 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
To sit in the archive for anyone searching in future:

The recorded audio of a full brain scan cycle of an MRI machine. I don't know where it was recorded, but it's accurate to the UK. (Right click icon, "Save Link/Target As...")
http://www.nofearmri.com/mri%20sound%20sample.html
You will not enjoy it, but forewarning is worth something. (Volume & Bass to maximum for the closest you'll manage through headphones)

ellaminnowpea
Jan 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Haha! Not the best sound in the world, but I get so many MRIs that I'm used to it. Most people here get headphones and sirius radio music during their scans. But I can't use headphones bc I get my head/ neck/ back scanned and the headphones interfere with the head/ neck scans. Oh well... :satisfied: The only part that bothers me is that it's boring.

Cherry
Jan 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Gosh. Doesn't it activate the 'there are loads of weird and scary noises' part of the brain?! Thanks for posting. My sister's just had one.

Prawnil
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Gosh. Doesn't it activate the 'there are loads of weird and scary noises' part of the brain?!
that and the "why, when I dare to open my eyes, do I seem to be inside a washing machine?" part.
It mustn't be nice to have them regularly, but I suppose it must be a lot easier when you roughly know what's coming next. Other than the assualt on your senses that it is, the worst part is not knowing what comes after each *shh bumf-shh bumf-ssh bumf-shh bumf* quiet sequences (the deceptive pauses), and must be better after the first. I wore headphones for mine, which was for the head, but they were just for ear protection and to hear commands from the control room; no radio.
In case it's worth mentioning- I don't know how common it is, but mine was in a mobile unit, essentially the back of a lorry. So the machine isn't freestanding in a suite, it literally is the wall (of a very small room), which makes the claustrophobia worse. Bearing strongly in mind that it is going to end helped. It must depend on your temperament, but I found it caused very intense dissociative, frightening feelings, but once over was somehow very refreshing and worthwhile. It left me very happy.

Does the platform have to move during the scan if it includes your back?

ellaminnowpea
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I don't know how common it is, but mine was in a mobile unit, essentially the back of a lorry. So the machine isn't freestanding in a suite, it literally is the wall (of a very small room), which makes the claustrophobia worse.

Wow, weird! I've always had mine in an imaging suite. They're quite large areas with just an MRI machine in the middle of the room. The techs can speak to me through a microphone that just broadcasts throughout my individual suite. They also have separate suites for the 'open' MRI machines for those who suffer from claustrophobia. I haven't been in one of those, but I feel the regular MRI machines are open enough for me. I think they introduced those after I'd already become accustomed to the regular machines. :rolleyes:

Does the platform have to move during the scan if it includes your back?

Nope! I just lay flat on my back and the process continues. I'm usually in there for about an hour...? Idk, I tend to fall asleep. :)