PDA

View Full Version : Vegan doctors

Pages : [1] 2

casey_veggoddes
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Are any of you guys lucky enough to have a veg doctor, nutritionist, or pediatrician in your area? I wish I did, it would be so great to not have to worry about getting lectured, turned into child welfare, etc. :rolleyes:

veganfever
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
Are any of you guys lucky enough to have a veg doctor, nutritionist, or pediatrician in your area? I wish I did, it would be so great to not have to worry about getting lectured, turned into child welfare, etc. :rolleyes:
I agree, casey, it would be great, but i don't, unfortunately. :)

mattd
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM
One of my dads partners at his family practice is vegetarian (he actually ran for student government in college on a vegan platform). and the hospital that owns thier practice has literature on the benifits of a vegetarian diet (pamplets, etc). it would be awesome if it discussed veganism, but i still think its nice to see modern medicine finally coming around and promoting a vegetarianism as a healthy diet.

gertvegan
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Theres a Doctor finder on www.holisticmedicine.org which I found on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) website. Hope that kinda helps.

harpy
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
One of the vets at the practice we take our cats to is. Actually if I were ill I think I would rather see her than my own doc but I'm not sure how she'd feel about it! (I seem to remember reading that UK vets are actually allowed to practise on humans, but doctors aren't on animals - not sure if it's true though.)

spidermonkey
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Theres a Doctor finder on www.holisticmedicine.org which I found on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) website. Hope that kinda helps.
One of by mentors used to be president of that organization. :) I'm a vegan doc currently in a clinical pathology residency program, so I'm not really involved in much patient care. I have found that the new generation of docs are a little more veggie friendly though. :)

Andie
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:18 PM
You may want to find a doc through the Seventh Day Adventist Church. They promote vegetarianism and would probably be understanding of vegans.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I do not have "veg" Doctor. However I ave a FABULOUS Doctor who is a strong suporter of Natural Health and Healing. When I went to see him for the first time (based on a referreal from a friend who also is a Holistic Practitioner) I told him that I did not want to use drugs and would like to seek supervision for any health issue that arose using Herbal Remedies and Supplements wherever possible.

He has been very informative and supportive and has been the most balanced and open-minded Doctor I have ever seen. Whenever I have a question or concern, I see him, let him know what my plan of action is and then ask him what he would suggest to augment or add to my plan.

He's always been knowledgeable, helpful and accurate. He assisted me through a trial with a serious illness (the big "C") and supported me as I used Juice fasting and A Raw Foods Vegan Diet to allow my body to heal itself. (And heal it did!) He is an advocate of a Vegan llifestyle and Raw Foods as well. I am blessed to have him :) I consult with him to help my clients in many ways.

He is so poular that he has stopped seeing any new clients. I knew he was the real thing when I ran into him at the "Natural Foods and Products Expo" earlier this year!

laura1983
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:45 PM
When i was at uni doing my first degree i had loads of medic friends training at kings college medical school in London. Lots of them were veggie and there was even a fellow vegan in his final year. They were all very open minded and would never judge or try to persuade their future patients away from the veggie/vegan path.

Even the non-veggie medics were willing to listen when i explained my reasons for not wanting to eat meat etc and they promised that they would always be open minded in the future and keep up to date with their knowledge of veggie/veganism.

As for vegan vets, give me a call in 5 years time when ive completed my veterinary degree and i will be more than welcome to look after all your animals!! :) :)

gertvegan
Oct 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
For the UK members, there is a Health Care Professionals List on the vegan society website, HERE. (http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/health/hcp.php)

kriz
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I had a medical check-up today. My doctor is a young woman, probably in her early thirties. Anyway, she asked if I eat healthy and I told her I'm a vegan. Her reaction was very positive, it really made my day, and she was not reluctant giving me a B-12 test either :). Good vegan friendly doctor. :)

tails4wagging
Feb 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Your very lucky, I wish my doctor was, although she doesn't make any negative comments when I mention I am vegan, I guess she can see I am healthy!!

Tigerlily
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:44 PM
My doctor doesn't know yet! I went to him a few weeks before becoming vegan.

I might go get a full check up sometime in the spring or summer. I want to get my blood tested and I want proof that I'm getting all my vitamins and that I'm healthy!

...as opposed to be deprived of nutrients and eventually going to end up very sick and unhealthy (which my mom sometimes tell me will happen...GAH!)

kriz
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:56 PM
My whole family had check-ups this week - I took my dog to the vet a few days ago. The vet said my "whippie" is very healthy, but I did not tell her he's a vegan, though...I was too afraid of critical comments and I was not in a mood to defend myself that day. I had a feeling she would not be as accepting as my own doctor...You can just sense it. She had IAM dog food displayed all over the clinic, too! :mad: But she was nice and thorough. It's just that I would like to find a vet who's familiar with vegan pets so I can have all my questions regarding nutrition answered. Do you have a vegan friendly vet? How can I find one?

Feb 24th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I went to see my doctor, a few weeks ago and he demanded I tell him my reasons for going vegan. He barged in the door with a medical student on his side and the first thing he said is "why are you vegan??". He didnt ask mw what my diet was like, or if i take supplements, or if I'm exercising, he just wanted to know "why". It was weird, but after I explained he had nothing else to say about it.

kriz
Feb 25th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Weird behaviour.

Mystic
Feb 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
My doctor is okay - he doesn't give an opinion on the matter.

Kiva Dancer
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Mine smiles at me as if to say he'd rather me not be vego, but he doesn't say a thing of it otherwise.

gertvegan
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:19 PM
My doctor is vegetarian............but eats fish. :rolleyes:

eve
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
my doc knows that I'm vegan, and I recently went to him for the pathology results of an annual check up. The doc showed me the results, and said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it"! :D

tasha
Jul 11th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know of an article or book written by or quoting a reputable doctor who states that a vegetarian or vegan diet is in fact more healthy than that of a diet including meat (online or to be purchased in a bookstore)?

I have found some quotes in brochures and online stating this, but I want it to come from a well known person (it is for my paper in psychology)

I only need a small quote from a good name stating this.

Thanks a bunch :)

eve
Jul 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Can't do better than doctor and author Vernon Coleman: http://www.vernoncoleman.com :)

harpy
Jul 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Would a professor of nutrition do? If so, you could look up "Tom Sanders vegan" on Google. He is an establishment figure, a professor at London University, and not I think a vegan himself, who has done various studies in this area and is generally supportive of vegetarianism and veganism.

Geoff
Jul 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Dr Joel Fuhrman's 'Eat To Live' book recommends a vegan diet.

Nivvie
Jul 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
The Dr Mcdougall diet is either vegan or nearly vegan based on where you look.

I think it's great, like the anti-Atkins, put out there for the masses to follow in name of health and beauty, but a by-product being less death.