PDA

View Full Version : Oatley not sold in Sainsburys anymore?

Hel
Jan 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
has anyone else noticed oatley has gone from their sainsburys?

there wernt even any tickets for it today, i asked at customer services but she couldnt find it on the system, it was a real case of 'computer says no' LOL

my sainsburys has usually been better than some branches for stocking vegan things until now :(

leedsveg
Jan 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I think Morrisons may have it. I know they were selling the chocolate version today cheapo, at £1 I think. A shame that the vitamin D ingredient (chocolate version) is not ok for vegans.

lv:mad:

Gwydion
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM
^ I don't think it's just the chocolate version lv? I seem to remember someone saying that only the organic one was suitable as all the others contained vit D3?

leedsveg
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You may well be right Gwydian. I note that their website is coy about the suitability of their products for veggies and vegans and so I avoid them altogether just to be on the safe side. Oatley don't impress me.

leedsveg

Hel
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:11 AM
its the only one i can drink neat, i didnt know about the vitanin d3 thing! luckily i always bought the organic one! i did buy the chocolate one but for the kids (who are veggie) i assumed it would have been vegan though how naughty of them!

i use the sainsburys own cheapo soya for cooking but i cant stand soya milk in tea!

Paragon
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Man I love the chocolate Oatley.. and I prefer the normal one to soya milk

Pob
Mar 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Chocolate Oatly isn't vegan - it contains D3.

Paragon
Mar 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Chocolate Oatly isn't vegan - it contains D3.

Really? I never realised that!! I wonder if that has anything to do with not being able to find it in the shops for months?

I have checked the website and there is no info there that I can find, so I have emailed them. In the meantime, So Good soya chocolate drink claims to be suitable for vegans, I wonder now....

:undecided:

Pob
Mar 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I like the chocolate so good. I'm pretty sure all the soya milks use D2, whether labelled as D or D2.

All the Oatlys without vitamin D are fine. There is an organic chocolate Oatly which has no D3, but for some reason it's not sold in the UK. They have stated that they believe D3 is easier to absorb than D2, so they use that. I think they position themselves as a healthy alternative to milk, rather than a vegan alternative to milk.

Paragon
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have just had a reply from Oatley, very nice of them, lots of people don't bother...

'DEar Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly. We are using D3 in our chocolate drink. This is the vitamin D3 that is recommended by the Swedish FDA to use in enriched products. The reason they recommend using it is because clinical studies has shown that D3 is better absorbed in the body.

If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards
Anna Persson, OAtly AB'

So there it is, in black and white!

Steve

snaffler
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
ASDA sale this milk if you live near one, by the way is lovely with Porridge Oats, a real oat hit.

Mr Flibble
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
On a related note, Sainsburys seem to have stopped selling fresh cartons of So Good (checked in several stores).