PDA

View Full Version : Soya protein isolates

eve
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:27 AM
The soya thread is pretty long, so I'm starting this one, as it appears obvious that posters consider soy is 'good' regardless of anything else. Most posters seem to say that they don't notice soy isolates that I condemned.

Organic tofu is perfectly healthy, but even that should be eaten in moderation. However, most of the items sold as a meat replacement, are comprised of soy isolates with gluten. Please read the labels carefully. TVP is also a soy isolate.

Following is a quote from Torin King, whom I consider an expert on the subject. He says

"The isolate is manufactured using extremely high temperatures and industrial acid and alkaline 'washes'. Why do you think you have never seen a recipe for it? You can't make it at home because it isn't really a food".

Most of the vegan meat and dairy replacements also have canola oil (a very questionable substance) and artificial minerals and vitamins added, because the foods are devoid of nutrients. Another dubious ingredient is HVP (hydrolysed vegetable protein). This is often found in vegan convenience foods, and is made by boiling veggies for several hours in a vat of sulphuric acid, later neutralised by caustic soda, and often combined with MSG to boost the flavour.

Personally when I want a protein dish, I either have organic tofu as the base, or nutritious yeast, or lentils, beans, nuts, etc.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Eve, thanks for the info. :)
I have also seen you post before to the effect that Vegans can easily get yoo hung up about what they eat, yet you obviously do a lot of research on the subject - which is good for the rest of us who don't! :p
I'm not knocking you, I tend to be one of those who went into Veganism purely from the animal-cruelty standpoint, and have never much cared for my own health. :(
Well, I am afriad that is catching up with me now, so I have to take action. I have actually been feeling less and less inclined to eat 'fake meats' recently, feeling instinctively (rather than really researching what's in them) that they are no good for me.
Anyway, thanks for the information. I, for one, am trying to eat mostly unprocessed foods at all times now. ;)

MzNatural
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the post Eve!
I remember reading how the isolate was made quite a while ago.
I occasionally eat tofu. I usually make a tofu scramble when I do use it.
There are so many soy products available today. I tend to avoid them.
I know a few people personally who have automatically assumed they were ‘healthy’ just because they were vegetarians. That is not necessarily true. You can be unhealthy following a vegetarian lifestyle if you aren’t receiving proper nutrition. You definitely can’t get that if you are eating a large amount of ‘processed foods’ (vegan meats, cheeses, snacks, etc.)

feline01
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I never considered all soy good, eve. I was trying to get information about soy lecithin but Mz Natural was kind enough to supply. I am moving my family away from soy as much as possible. We do use soy milk but once the babies are off of formula, we'll be giving them nut and rice milks. I'm actually starting to do more research on raw foods. Just seems the healthiest way to go at this point in our lives. Not that I"ll be eating 100% raw by tomorrow, just need to start collecting information.

THanks for the info on isolates.

Kiva Dancer
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Wow. Just about the time I was wondering if I wasn't getting enough soy and along comes this information. In reading it, I realise I'm very happy with the amounts I eat because it's not much at all.

Great post, eve. Thanks.

Marie
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:54 PM
In the health food store they have gotten this new product called Veggie Soy and I think it tasted nice. I read the label carefully but can't find out if it is containing anything that is harmful. It says it is made from organic tofu. Do you still think it can contain soy isolates?

foxytina_69
Jan 16th, 2005, 09:02 PM
thanx eve.

i have recently felt the need to move away from tofu aswell, aswell as cooked foods and im becoming raw now :) great post! how can anything be considered food if it has to be supplemented with nutrition and doesnt naturally come with it?

eve
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Hi Marie, if the label says it is organic tofu, then it is safe, and contains no isolates.
PFC I also live a vegan lifestyle, like you, from the animal cruelty view. However, like feline01, I also like to collect info on the foods we eat.

Roxy
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the info Eve. I don't think I would like to be eating soy isolate now that I know what it is! I used to buy a vegan packaged food mix that contained TVP. You would rehydrate the TVP with water, and then stir fry it with fresh veggies and mix with the sauce that was included in the pack. Although it tasted quite good - I don't think I'll be buying that anymore and for sure - I'll continue ispecting the labels of the foods I buy!