PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Crimbles Dutch Apple cake

Blueberry
Jan 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Has anyone tried this? I bought it from Morrison's for 1.99. It's quite heavy and is very tasty! However there isn't much apple in it and it dries out quite quickly once opened, but it is nice as a ready made treat and would be lovely at Christmas. It's in the "Free From" section, and clearly arked as Vegan.

Mr Flibble
Jan 31st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Yes, it's been around for about 6 years. It's OK, but I never think to buy it as you can make far nicer yourself.

helen105281
Jan 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I like it, especially the bits on the top. Is good for work if I need cake when people bring non vegan cake in. We don't always have time to make cake ourselves.

Ruby Rose
Jan 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
And it's especially yummy warmed up in the microwave with a big ol' dollop of vanilla Swedish Glace!

suzanne
Jan 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM
And it's especially yummy warmed up in the microwave with a big ol' dollop of vanilla Swedish Glace!
That sounds so yummy :tongue_ani:

Blueberry
Jan 31st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, it's been around for about 6 years. It's OK, but I never think to buy it as you can make far nicer yourself.

Ah, well I am new to the vegan party... so if I wanted cake before I would never have found this!

Homemade sounds good - now where can I get a recipe? ;)

Lisey_duck
Feb 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I've had this, ironically it was for an English food dinner standing in for sponge pudding with custard. (We were doing English food because my partner's Greek friend had invited us over for Greek food and we thought we'd return the cultural favour - they're maybe some of the biggest sceptics I know even about vegetarianism, yet they liked what I dished up, so worth cheating a bit on the nationality of dessert and starter.)

f2097
Feb 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I get this if I feel too lazy to make my own, but require cake :)

I find the apple one nicer than the ginger one. I love the bits on the top and how the sides go all gooey and stuff *drools* Its nice warm with some soy custard on .. or with some marge and a cup of tea :D

jj
Feb 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
not sure if its still the case but some of crimbles cakes were labeled as vegan whern they had honey in them

jj

DavidT
Feb 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
not sure if its still the case but some of crimbles cakes were labeled as vegan whern they had honey in them

jj

Yes, I bought one or two vegan things of theirs and then spotted honey on their (damn, which was it?) ginger cake, was it? It's a shame when they use honey when, for the sake of a simple substitute of a single ingredient, they could widen their market.

Biona are the same. Some fabulous products but some are let down by the honey; I have e-mailed Biona twice, specifically over two of them - their Wild Berry Crisp and their beetroot - and they replied to one e-mail that they would include my comments in their next product review. That was at least a year ago, though I know these things take time.

Anyway, it's much more fun to make your own cakes!

Ruziko
Feb 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Have some in the cupboard. It's nice but would go better with custard.

flying plum
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I bought this for my office the other day while i was in town (and had a craving for cake). it went down a treat... AND, it was almost something that met all the dietary requirements of our small office (no wheat, no lactose, no eggs, vegan, no chocolate). Until someone told me that actually, they were intolerant to apples. DOH!

However, it was declared delicious by my dutch colleague, who ate four pieces. so i'm all for this one. and i suspect it would be totally LUSH with custard!

amanda

hullabaloo
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I found it to be quite tasty but rather dry. Not something I'd go out of my way to buy again.

Jiffy
Mar 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Drier than Ghandi's flip-flop IMHO, a bit more tolerable with custard though/

Agatha
Mar 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
My boss bought me this for my birthday a long with Mrs Crimbles ginger cake which I personally prefer. They are slightly dry but if you warm them up (with a splash of water for moisture) and add alpro soya custard its all good.

johnb
Apr 1st, 2010, 11:50 PM
Try slicing it toasting it and buttering with Pure organic spread, delicious.

Stuart
Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, right now: It's tasty, but not very moist.

I find you've got to be careful with cakes, dairy-free doesn't equal egg-free a lot of the time.

DavidT
Apr 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I find you've got to be careful with cakes, dairy-free doesn't equal egg-free a lot of the time.

This is so true: I saw a market stall yesterday with some great looking cakes and the words 'organic' and 'dairy-free' all caught my eye: I thought my luck was in. But no, all contained eggs... :(