PDA

View Full Version : Tired of food

Pages : [1] 2 3

fiamma
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
So I am officially tired of food. I never really feel that hungry, and have no desire whatsover to cook. I was having some success with raw food, but even there when I have to think about prep, even peeling a carrot and chopping it seems like too much work. So I end up just eating fruit, and grabbing whatever there is vegan to hand (chocolate and crackers :( )

It's bothering me that if I want to eat vegan there's always so much prep involved, whereas carnies can just fling a steak on the grill.

Not that I want to be a carnivore. Or eat steak. :(

I don't even know why I'm writing this, or what I expect you all to say, because I know all the answers already...

I just have no energy. Or motivation. Ugh. HELP!!! :( I'm going to try and stop feeling sorry for myself now.

Est
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
{{Hug}} xx

fiamma
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Aw shucks. :o Thanks Est.

vegcurry
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
How about making a large pan of soup, as it's quick and easy to make, and you can pick at it should you feel hungry. You can always spice it up on the next day, or use it as a base for a stew or curry. I usually do a lentil soup in the pressure cooker using just a couple of onions and carrots, stock, lentils, etc and it cooks in no time, and best of all feels like no effort at all.

fiamma
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hmmm... thanks vegcurry!!! *brain starts ticking over* But do I have to chop the onions? (just kidding :D)

ellaminnowpea
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Fiamma! I am like this. Though, I always have been. :o I just don't care enough about food or eating to prepare things. After a while, I had to start eating better and just accepted that I'd do it by buying pre-made things. I buy cans of soup, prepared veggies, salads, fruit, cans of veggies, cereal.

I sometimes wonder if it's a normal thing or an ED thing. Either way, it really would be good to start enjoying eating and preparing food, huh? Just remember getting enough calories is the main thing and we gotta do what we gotta do until things improve. :)

fiamma
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ella (((((HUGS))))) Food for thought, eh??!!!

Thanks everyone so far for your replies :thumbsup:

leedsveg
Feb 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Per the old cliche, I eat to live, not live to eat.

lv

mariana
Feb 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
But do I have to chop the onions? (just kidding :D)
They sell pre-chopped onions... At least they did in the supermarket nearest me where I lived last year. They were pretty expensive, though. Sometimes I love cooking but sometimes I just don't feel like it, either. (Mainly because I hate doing the washing up after!) So I know the feeling.... But I know it's important to eat healthy meals regularly, because if I skip a meal or eat something unhealthy I feel even less inclined to cook the next one because I don't have the energy...

Wildflower
Feb 4th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Hi Fiamma,

I don't have great suggestions, but I just wanted to chime in that I have the same thing every few months. I call it, "being bored with food." It's like I go through this phase where absolutely nothing sounds good. I tend to overeat a bit when this happens, cause it's like nothing satisfies me.

And...well...I love to cook, so I don't know what it is. A boredom, depression, vitamin deficiency.

I have no desire to eat meat either...but I know what you mean about sometimes it feeling easier to be able to just eat salmon every night with veggies and rice or something you could swap out.

veganwitch
Feb 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM
No great advice from me. But I get into food ruts every so often and doing the littlest thing seems like a major effort. Generally I love food and love to cook but sometimes I just can't find the motivation. It eventually passes though.

buttons
Feb 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I always keep some microwaveable (is that a word?) veggie burgers in the fridge in case of food fatigue.

harpy
Feb 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I quite often don't feel like cooking but the OH doesn't mind doing it so that's OK. Shoving leftovers in the freezer is also a help as it means there is an effort-free option available.

Sadly I never seem to tire of eating :o

pavotrouge
Feb 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I can't relate since I'm pretty much a live to eat person, but I guess there's phases when you have different priorities - I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's not for longer than a few weeks. Don't beat yourself up because of it. Soon it'll be spring and there will be all sorts of new stuff that will inspire you to cook/eat.

cedarblue
Feb 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
can you eat some pre-packaged micro meals or something you don't have to worry about for a bit? ....dont' worry, after a while you will soon get fed up with them and want to eat some nicer food again.

love to you! :)

Ruby Rose
Feb 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I wish I were tired of food. Then my trousers might fit a bit better.

How about eating out or getting some takeaways - Chinese, Indian, Thai, whatever's available where you are - and see if that inspires you to want to try to make something similar yourself?

Also, maybe cook up a load of rice and stick it in portions in the freezer, then you can experiment with just "stuff to go on rice"...

Blueberry
Feb 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have an omni friend like this. She has a piece of toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a small dinner. I mean small portions. Her fridge is nearly always empty and she has a husband and two kids! She has bags of frozen veg in the freezer to make meals quickly. She hates cooking, and food prep, and sees it as pointless. I've always found it quite funny, as I am the complete opposite to that. But it's not a problem to her as she eats enough to live - just!

xrodolfox
Feb 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just go out to eat! Let someone else do the work. ;) When I had more money, I blew it all on vegan restaurant fare. It was well worth it. ;)

fiamma
Feb 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
We don't really have vegan restaurants here... it's like a completely foreign concept. And financially it's not really a viable option. Thanks anyway :down:

erynne936
Feb 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
When I don't feel like cooking I have hummus & veggies for dinner or make nachos or tacos!

Marrers
Feb 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Even in a food rut you have to make sure you eat for fuel, for nutrition. I also hate cooking and have rarely bothered in the past but now I'd say letting your health suffer by not taking care of what you are eating can lead to feeling poorly and health problems, and having to take loads of medication and/or supplements is much more of a drag. (I wish I hadn't been so 'lazy' about eating a healthy balanced diet in the past.)

loveganism
Feb 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
So I end up just eating fruit, and grabbing whatever there is vegan to hand (chocolate and crackers :( )

I work on a computer all day (and sometimes at night) and end up doing the same (my boyf. said to me last night as he went out 'eat something proper... not just crackers! :lol:).

Chocolate and crackers are really bad to snack on if you aren't getting any other nutrition. Maybe stop buying them for a while and buy a decent nut/seed mix instead (maybe with cacao nibs mixed in?).

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've done the raw food thing too and become a bit disillusioned with cooked food (even though I'm not raw at the moment).

Wayfare
Feb 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I suggest make something in large quantity that you don't normal eat but that is super easy to prepare. I don't usually eat green split peas but last night I made a huge pot of them. Wow!

1 big bag of green split peas (32 .oz)
1 carrot shredded or chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 big red tomato chopped (or some tomato sauce/paste but I'm not sure how much that would be)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon (heaping!) cumin
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 tablespoon salt
(add in other spices you like or vary the amounts according to preference)

Cook the green split peas according to the directions on the package then set them aside. Fry everything else in the oil and mix well. Add in the split peas and enough water to cover (and then a little bit more). Simmer and allow the split peas to cook down.

It felt like I was in the kitchen for 5 minutes total with the chopping and measuring and stirring. I never eat split peas and now I might be hooked!

Sarah_
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I get what you're saying. Just the idea of cutting up tomatoes or carrot for a salad feels draining. I would gladly eat a full salad with all the trimmings but it's just too much work and seems so expensive to buy. Therefor my salads consist of lettuce. Just lettuce.

It might help if I knew how to cook, but the point is I see where you're coming from.

fiamma
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
... takeaways - Chinese, Indian, Thai, whatever's available where you are ...

You may not believe it, but the only takeaway places where I live are pizza (surprise surprise). Even in Bologna I don't think there are many ethnic takeaway places.