PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Hot Cross Buns

Tishy
Feb 12th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I'm trying to find an awesome recipe for vegan hot cross buns this year. Does anyone have one? Or is there a thread already discussing hot cross bun recipes?

I know it would be rather easy to subsitute with a non vegan recipe, but I'm looking for a super dooper recipe! :D

harpy
Feb 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hello - Cherry's hot cross bun recipe (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=easter&recipe=hot_cross_buns) has been highly spoken of - must admit I tend to buy them but I should try it myself sometime, it doesn't sound hard, especially as I see you can use a bread machine :o

VeganMonkey
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Harpy - where do you get your vegan hot cross buns from? I was thinking I fancied some the other day but wasn't sure which supermarket ones were okay....

harpy
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm afraid I haven't checked this year's "crop" yet veganmonkey, and they seem to reformulate these things from year to year. Perhaps someone else will have done.

Last year I think there were some apparently-vegan ones in our local Somerfield, which is now morphing into a Co-op so it will be interesting to see what they have.

There's a discussion from last year here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22679&highlight=hot+cross+buns

leedsveg
Feb 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
As an atheist, should I refuse to eat hot cross buns, otherwise this sends out a confusing message to committed Christians? (As a vegan, I'm already 'guilty' of confusing omnis by wearing faux-leather.)

leedsveg:confused:

harpy
Feb 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Would those be the committed Christians that peddle the buns in their supermarkets?

In last year's thread I thought we decided we were going to call them "Vote Labour" buns or something. You could always peel the bits off the top if you're undecided.

leedsveg
Feb 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Would those be the committed Christians that peddle the buns in their supermarkets?

In last year's thread I thought we decided we were going to call them "Vote Labour" buns or something. You could always peel the bits off the top if you're undecided.

Hi harpy

Forgive me for being cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold them just to make money. Anyway, I'll adopt your suggestion and pretend that the "X" is a vote for a political party. (Monster Raving Loony Party? Tupperware Party? Ann Summers Party? I refuse to divulge.)

lv:)

harpy
Feb 12th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Agreed, I think the fact that they start selling them on 2nd Jan if not before is a teensy clue that piety isn't their first motivation.

I suppose one could also think of eating them as spoiling one's ballot paper - but anyway it beats apathy.

leedsveg
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I just thought they were a bit keen to start celebrating Easter...

lv

Tishy
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Easter was originally a pagan holiday! :D Christians could never make something so yummy, it must have been pagans!

Thankyou for the recipe harpy! I'm going to start experimenting this week.

Cherry
Feb 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I hope they work out! :)