PDA

View Full Version : Favourite foods as a kid ? (were they vegan)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sunkist
Feb 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
What were your favourite foods as a kid? I got this inspiration from my kids as even though they're are being raised vegan, -I've realized that although I wasn't raised as a vegan, (I stopped eating meat when I was 11) my favourite foods were vegan...

they were :

Fruit,especially clementimes (any kind really, although it was quite sparse in our household)

banana sandwiches

coleslaw - shredded carrot, sandwiches

Noodles with a spicy sauce

:smile:

MoonDance
Feb 18th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hmmm .... I was a bit of a fussy kid though I do remember liking carrots a lot (still do!)

rice

two minute noodles

ice cream

chocolate anything

pears

harpy
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Marmite on toast. Beans on toast. Toast on toast :D

Not sure if the versions I had then were vegan but they certainly adapt easily - and I have jettisoned the Marmite in favour of Natex, before someone points out the error of my ways ;)

Sarabi
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hmm... Trying to think... cheese. Chicken nuggets from McDonald's (my mom always bought us happy meals). Ice cream. Fried shrimp. Fried, fried, fried.

Ew. lol Going vegan was easy, though. I never miss any of that junk. I'm healthier for not eating it.

Catherine
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
My choices were not all vegan: french fries, ice-cream, chocolate,... I guess every unhealthy thing that exists on earth!!
I am proud to say that my eating habits now have nothing to do with those, but this was achieved in a many years' process.!
Veganism came much later, as a corner stone to healthy eating and habits.

xrodolfox
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My favorite childhood foods were rarely vegan.

-Manjar
-Pastel de Choclo
-Humitas (often vegan!)
-Roe
-McD's1/4# w/ cheese
-chicken nuggets
-bananas
-bagels with cream cheese and turkey slices
-completos (pic here (http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/05/snapshots-from-chile-hot-dogs-and-sandwiches.html))
-Churrascos (same file)
-empanadas de queso
-calzones rotos (vegan!)
-parrillada
-ensalada chilena (vegan!)
-scrambled eggs
-Pears and apples (vegan and raw)

but my all time favorite is vegan. :)

-Spaghetti with pomodoro sauce (VEGAN!!!)

cobweb
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM
cucumbers
carrots
Angel Delight (pudding mix)
coffee and walnut cake
roast potatoes
cabbage

still really like all of the above with the obvious exception of Angel Delight - but i would definitely buy a vegan version!

Blueberries
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I remember my childhood favourite foods being chips and any sort of processed, breaded, shaped chicken (ie nuggets, fingers, o's).

Holly78
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What were your favourite foods as a kid? I got this inspiration from my kids as even though they're are being raised vegan, -I've realized that although I wasn't raised as a vegan, (I stopped eating meat when I was 11) my favourite foods were vegan...

:smile:

That is great that you are raising your children as vegans. :thumbsup:

My favourite foods were:

Chocolate
Crisps
McDonalds (why, why, why?!!)
Lasagne
Cheese
Marmite
Pizza

So mostly not vegan. I would still rank chocolate, lasagne (vegan) and Marmite (not the brand, but the yeast extract spread) as favourites now.

missbettie
Feb 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hot Cheetos....i will forever miss these
grilled cheese sandwiches
taco bell ANYTHING
chorizo- though soyrizo is just as good
fried eggs with the yolk running- obviously not vegan
nachos- vegan nachos just aren't the same, but i don't miss them at all
sailsbury steak tv dinners- meh don't miss these at all
kraft macoroni and cheese-sometimes i miss this...
m&Ms.... this kind of makes me sad
cool ranch doritos- not vegan and is heart breaking...

but over all no food i miss is worth me going back.

I like how none of the foods i liked were healthy for me. :D no wonder i was a pudgy kid.

Terran
Feb 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Pizza
Pasta (mainly spaghetti, tagliatelle, tortellini, ravioli, lasagne and cannelloni...I ate a lot of pasta) - sometimes vegan
Cheese
Brussels sprouts - vegan
Beetroots - vegan
Chocolate and every piece of candy ever invented
Apple sauce - vegan
Waffles
Pancakes
McDonald's
French fries - vegan
Tomatoes - vegan
Patatoes - vegan
Lettuce - vegan
Ice cream
Apples - vegan
Bananas - vegan
Watermelons - vegan

My favourite foods were the ones I was allowed to eat with my hands though.

Buddha Belly
Feb 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Toad in the hole (which I make a good vegan version of now)
Shepherds Pie (ditto)
Spag bol (ditto)
Fried egg and black pudding sandwich (er..can't veganise this)
Pie, any pie (make damn good pies too)
Peanut butter & prawn cocktail crisp sandwich

I am so easy to please

RubyDuby
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
chocolate chip cookies, pizza, little debbies donut sticks and peanut butter bars, fruit, pudding snack packs, doritos, pringles, reeses peanut butter cups, ice cream!

cool ranch doritos- not vegan and is heart breaking...do you like the sweet chili flavor? It is vegan and yummmmily naughty.

Sarah_
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
^ I tried those because I was so excited it was a vegan Dorito and I thought it was yuck. :(

My favorite foods were:

-spaghetti and tom sauce
-pigs in a blanket
-pot pie
-Burger King chicken nuggets
-Hot Cheetos
-white rice with lots of soy sauce
-lumpia
-french fries
-pizza

missbettie
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
do you like the sweet chili flavor? It is vegan and yummmmily naughty.

Its called sweet chili? i'll try to find them...exciting!!!

^ I tried those because I was so excited it was a vegan Dorito and I thought it was yuck. :(

My favorite foods were:

-spaghetti and tom sauce
-pigs in a blanket
-pot pie
-Burger King chicken nuggets
-Hot Cheetos
-white rice with lots of soy sauce
-lumpia
-french fries
-pizza

Hot Cheetos...mmmm...don't you miss them!?!? Oh and lumpia!! my sister in law used to make those!!!!!

Sarah_
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM
God hot cheetos. Last thing I gave up before going vegan. Literally used to eat a bag a day at minimum. I was also very fat.
And lumpia! MAN. My mother used to date a man from Guam and his mother told her how to make the stuff, along with what I think is called adobo-where you take a huge pot and fill it with vinegar and soy sauce and a little beer, and throw in some bay leaves and then cook chicken (or more usually pork) in it until the skin slides off.
She also taught my mom how to make this stuff that goes on rice, where it's soy sauce and white vinegar and you take a chili pepper and roast it over the stove and cut it up and put it in there along with sliced cucumber, onion, carrot and tomato. Let it sit in the fridge for a day. YUM!

Sarah <3's vinegar forever.

missbettie
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:27 PM
lol sarah ur a dork. i've never had that, but i must admit i love vinegary stuff too! lol

I wish they made Tings hot cheeto type yummies, i mean Tings are pretty close to cheetos anyway.

Sarah_
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Exactly. Chips are my staple food. I could eat chips all day long. I noticed that the 99 cent stores usually have a lot of chip variety that happens to be vegan. YAY for me!

When I see vegan Tings you'll be the first to know!

missbettie
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM
^ I know they have a spicy chip, but its really salty! I know chips are my evil food, i really like devour them when i get my hands on them, and then i feel sick. :( but they are yummyful!

ya make sure you keep your eyes open for little spicy tingys!!!

RubyDuby
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Its called sweet chili? i'll try to find them...exciting!!!
yup! purple bag... they don't taste anything like the traditional Doritos, but I love the flavor (and the way they load on their flavors compared to other brands), and you get the Dorito texture. mmm

missbettie
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM
^ omgoodess i'm excited, i hope i can find them.

BlackCats
Mar 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Fruit

banana sandwiches

Yes, they were both two of my absolute favourites.:)

Sweets and crisps I loved as well.

Marmite on toast. Beans on toast. Toast on toast :D

Yes, any type of toast was good (and still is.);)

:o Non-vegan stuff I loved was bread and dripping, black pudding and pate. Sorry, I know it is disgusting now.:o

Mollfie
Mar 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
As a kid I very quickly learnt to adore fruit and veg after I had to have a tooth pulled when I was about 5. Those were and still are my favourite foods, I'm not big on sweets or fatty food and never have been really. Even when I wasn't vegan I never liked foods that consisted of much dairy or eggs as they usually made me feel sick.

I went through a stage of eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches all the time, because Gonzo from The Muppets loves them lol.

applepie
Mar 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
my granny's baked rice pudding
green apples
homemade potato wedges
lentils with spätzle (a particular kind of German pasta)
pasta with tomatoes, olives and lots of basil

Thinking back I always preferred foods that happened to be vegan by default most of the time. Never liked fast food, and I don't have a sweet tooth at all. When I was young, apparently I once looked at my mom aghast when she at a smartie - I thought they were for playing with...

King
Mar 1st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Shepards pie (non vegan) and my moms stir fry also not vegan.